svs pc-plus 20-39 vs velodyne h.g.s. 12

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miles Abbey, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Miles Abbey

Miles Abbey Agent

Anyone want to speculate which one has the upper hand? Other than price, how do the two compare?

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

"Anyone want to speculate which one has the upper hand?"

Speculate? Not me! Not a chance.

3. Miles Abbey

Miles Abbey Agent

You would have to speculate since the pc-plus hasn't been released. How about the svs cs plus compared to the velodyne hgs 12. Does anyone have experience in comparing these two? I'm ready to buy the velodyne, but would consider the svs if I thought they were in the same ballpark. Would I have to go with the ultras to get in the same class as the velodyne hgs? Money isn't an issue. I've heard the hgs, but haven't a clue how it compares to svs products.

4. Marcelo T

Marcelo T Stunt Coordinator

Here http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-12-2001.html
    you can find a comparision of 2 ultras x hgs18
    The output of a single ultra would be 6 dbs lower, and the output of a CS plus would be 80% of the output of the ultra. If I´m wrong, please someone correct me [​IMG]

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

A 20-39PCi would have about double the clean output capabiltity down to the 19-21hz range. A 20-39PC+ would have about triple. The HGS line is meant to extract good performance from small sealed enclosures...not to go head to head with much larger ported enclosures.

TV

6. Allan F

Allan F Agent

As an HGS-12 owner, I can tell you that the two subs, as Tom mentioned, are not meant to compare. IMO the HGS subs are pretty much the best sounding SMALL subs around. They will not, however, compete with the output of a much larger ported sub. The HGS series is VERY clean sounding but will not compete in output. If money is really not an issue, consider a couple of HGS 18's. The best of both worlds.
    Allan [​IMG]