SVS PC+ calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Williams, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams Stunt Coordinator

Just got the 20-39 PC+, and I have a calibration question: My receiver is 7.1, so should I calibrate with Video essentials, Avia, or use the receiver's internal test tones? Is V.E. or Avia set up for a 7.1 system?

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Patrick,

I do highly recommend using Video Essentials and a sound meter. Built in test tones (and I know this is counter-intuitive) typically do NOT yield the best/most accurate calibrations, though they are certainly better than nothing at all!

Do a full calibation quickly with the SPL meter and your receiver's test tones. Write down the settings you get and the receiver master level when you do it. Most receivers are calibrated to 75dB on the meter, some are higher, your manual should say.

Do ALL channels, including center rear.

Then put in VE, make sure it's set to the Dolby Digital track and proceed to do a 5.1 setting of all channels (compare your notes, you might find them different by a good margin). Pay PARTICULAR attention to any offset/difference you get for your normal (side) rears. That is, if your receiver gave you 4dB higher settings than Video Essentials did, go back to your receiver test tones and ratchet down the center rear(s) the same amount.

This is not perfect (I've heard VE was coming out with a 7.1 disk, but I don't know if they have??) but I expect it'll be more accurate than simply relying on the receiver test tones.

Ron

3. Robin Casady

Robin Casady Agent

The copy of Avia I have only has 5.1. However, Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-up by Ovation has 6.1 where the back channel is treated as one speaker. So, you would have to balance the two back speakers with the amp signals. Then you could use the 6.1 Dolby Digital and DTS signals in the S&V DVD to balance them with the other speakers. S&V both has DTS ES Discrete and DTS EX Matrix.