SVS PBS-12 plus 2 room placement

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by John Menoni, Apr 10, 2005.

1. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

I am dying to go with this sub. It seems like a total butt kicker. My only problem with the sub is that it will actually cover the frame to my screen if I put it in the front of the room. I can't put the screen any higher because my ceiling juts down where the screen is. It isn't a huge deal. I don't think it will cover any of the white screen surface but I don't want it to be too much of an eyesore. I was considering making it into a little table a few feet in fron of my front seats. I don't know if the vibrations will be too much from sitting so close to the sub. I know there are lots of SVS enthusiasts on this site so if anyone else has tried this, let me know how it worked out.

Thanks,

John

2. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

No room in a front corner huh? If not I would not worry about it at all as long as its not covering the white of the screen and you get a black one.. I mean their orig. black no gloss stuff. The other thing you can do is take off the bottom shelf and sit the sub on its side making the whoofers facing you.. Lots of folks have done that and that will take off at least 3-4 inches.. Sorry don't have a tape handy... maybe even a lot more than that... I had hear rumor of SVS making a special grill for those that wanted to do it that way.. You may want to give Ron a call there and ask...

3. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Your sub does not need to at the front of the room, wy not try the back or sides.

4. John Menoni

I might go with the sub toward the middle of the room and use it as a table. I'm just worried that the SVS is going to have me vibrating in my seat that is only going to be a couple feet away.

John Menoni

5. Carl P

Carl P Extra

My SVS vibrates my seat about 12 feet away. If it didn't, I wouldn't have it! Get yourself an Acoustimass bass module if you're worried about vibration.

6. John Menoni

Carl, don't get me wrong. I want earth shattering bass but I don't know if sitting 2 feet away from 2 12 inch drivers and a 900 watt amp is such a good idea. I already made up my mind to go with the pb 12 plus 2. I just have to figure out what the best place for it is.

7. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

John,

What's the dimensions of the room you are putting it in? Sometimes you can get a better bass response by NOT putting the sub in a corner, but by moving it into the room a bit. Most of us just shove the sub in the corner because: it's a huge old black box that is hard to get around, bass (LFE)is non-directional sound, and our wives can't stand it to be anywhere else. [​IMG]

So what size of room is this and where are the openings? You could probably easily put this sub somewhere other than right next to the screen.

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    John:

Discuss your layout with the guys at SV Subs and they will give you a lot of valuable placement options for your room.

9. Carl P

Carl P Extra

The nice thing about bass is you can't tell where it is coming from if it is crossed over properly. THX recommends an x-over of 80, but I have mine set to 60. My sub is 12 feet in front and to the left of me. if you close your eyes and try to locate it it's virtually impossible. Some people, when hearing it for the first time, tend to look behind them for the sub. The tactile response of shaking the couch makes them think that. At one point in my HT's life, I had a PCUltra about 4 feet behind where my wife likes to sit and watch movies. She noticed nothing unusual in that configuration. As long as your phase and gain are set properly, the sub should disappear, no matter where it's at. One thing you may experience at reference levels or close is the pressurization effect that the sub may exert on you. They move a LOT of air. The nearfield tactical effect is just a plus in my book. Carl (sorry about the Acoustimass remark I couldn't help myself!)