1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SVS PB2 Plus Overkill?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JohnEF, Nov 13, 2004.

1. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

I have been in the market for a new subwoofer and am close to settling on the SVS 20-39 PC plus but after reading reviews on the SVS PB2 plus I am thinking about that this might be the one.

My listening room is 14 by 22 by 8 (2,464 cubic feet). There are no openings into this room when the doors are closed. I have a 7.1 setup (all Pinnacle speakers-gold reference towers for the mains, gold reference center and 4 gold reference minimonitors for the surrounds and rears. The subwoofer is a Pinnacle 250 watts with a 12 inch driver which seems to be the weak link). Everything is powered by an Outlaw 950/770.

I use this setup mostly for movies (90% to 10% music). I thought the SVS 20-39 plus was a good fit but will I be looking to upgrade in the future? However, is the PB2 plus overkill? I am open to any suggestions.

John

2. David Keith

David Keith Stunt Coordinator

John,
    Your wife can never be too beautiful, your car too fast, your bank account too big, or your bass too loud,'nuff said.

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Maybe if you answered a few questions, we can pin down a model recommendation:

- Where will the sub be placed in the room?

- How far are the key listening positions from the sub?

- When calibrating for HT applications, how "hot" do you run your sub, compared to your speaker channels?

- What is your typical master volume setting with respect to Reference Level (like -5RL, -10RL, -15RL) when watching DVDs?

Regards,

Ed

4. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

Ed:

In reference to the sub placement it will be in the front left corner on the side where the TV is (the 14 foot wall in the 22 by 14 foot room) . My seating position is roughly 14 feet back from the front wall making the actual distance to the sub about 16 feet.

Using a radio shack meter I tuned my sub to approximately 80 db (the same as all the other speakers). Normally my volume for DVD's is -15 below reference level.

I should mention that if I push my sub too much it gets kind of "boomy" which is the reason I am looking for an upgrade.

I wish I knew someone on Long Island (Nassau County) who had an SVS sub and was willing to let me hear it.

John

5. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

JohnEF,

I have the PB2-ISD in a similar size room at it is more then enough for me. My room is actually 17x14, but it has 2 openings into other rooms. Maybe the ISD would be better for you, as it is cheaper then the plus.

6. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

Boomy bass is more likely due to room interactions more than the quality of the sub. Your corner placement might be exciting a certain range of freqs that gives you a boomy sound. Nuthin' wrong buying a PB2+ for your size of room but unless you figure out the best location, your PB2+ might sound boomy too. I learned this when I upgraded to a Servo-15 from a considerably smaller Mirage. It sounded horrible when I just swapped it. After 3-4 nights trying different placements, plotting out the freq response curves, and EQ, it's much better than before. Some people might call it thin sounding, but it actually hits harder and louder when it's supposed to.

Don't buy a new sub and expect a cure. SVS subs are good but not that good [​IMG]

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Using a radio shack meter I tuned my sub to approximately 80 db (the same as all the other speakers). Normally my volume for DVD's is -15 below reference level.
    __________________________________________________ _____

In your size room John, keeping in mind that it is also closed off with your reg listening level around -15. I cant think of a sub that SVS offers that wouldn't be enough. The 20-39PC+ would foot the bill very nicely with plenty of headroom and extension. Sure the PB12-Plus/2 would be nice and headroom is always a good thing but do you really need it? I'll leave that up to you but feel safe that the 20-30PC+ would be well with-in it's operating limits.

Like mentioned> The PB12-ISD/2 also would be more than enough, no doubt about it.

8. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

At -15 RL with the sub running about 2 dB hot (80/80), any single driver Plus subwoofer will handle a closed off 2700 ft3 room 16 feet from the listener.

If you will be pushing to -10RL or higher, then I'd recommend the PB12-ISD/2, the PB12-Plus/2 or dual 20-39PC+ cylinders.