SVS PB2+ Overkill foe 2000 cu ft room?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by David Barteaux, Nov 1, 2003.

1. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

Any one using this monster in a smaller sized room?

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

John Kotches just wrote a review of that sub in Wide Screen Review. His room is about 1750 cubic feet. To paraphrase something John wrote on another forum: The only way SVS is getting their PB2+ back is if he gets a PB2-Ultra.

-Robb

3. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

I have a 16-46PCi...less output by probably 8db from the plus. Mine had plenty for my 14X14 living room with 10 foot ceilings and one entire wallopen to another 13X16 room. That being said, you would do fine with a PCi, but...you can never have "too much" when it comes to a sub. Running a bigger, badder sub gives you more headroom for peaks, and just as importantly, runs at a smaller percentage of its capabilities. This means less distortion, which in the world of bass, can be very high at low frequencies and high outputs.

I love my PCi, but if the plus would have been available when I bought mine, I am quite sure I would have at least considered it. However, the PCi series was brand new, and was a step up from the original PC series.

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Robb,

That's a pretty accurate paraphrase. You left off something else that I said, which I shamelessly borrowed from a friend:

5. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

John,

I'm going a bit off topic here, but I wanted to let you know I'm going to go out and buy that rag. I make my living on the internet, and find very little in rags I can't find online with savvy and patience, but dammit, I want to read your review! Between that and the fact that I'll be auditioning a PB2+ tomorrow, that should really try my patience for the PB2-Ultra!

-Robb

edit: P.S. You've got a smart friend. [​IMG]

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Robb,

I suggest that you hear the PB-2+, then purchase the magazine and see if what I wrote corresponds to what you experienced.

If it does, then you know I'm not totally insane, although partial insanity has not been ruled out :p)

If not, then blame everything else but me, like the room, the equipment, the day's barometric pressure, relative humidity etc etc etc [​IMG]

In all seriousness, I hope you enjoy the audition.

Regards,

7. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

David:

My room is 2,000 ft3. My PB2+ review will give you an idea of what kind of SPL to expect in that size room.

I'll save you the trouble of reading the review and cut to the chase: Bass peaks of 120+ dB are possible at the seat without bottoming or audible distress in the >22-23 Hz region in the stock tune of 3 ports open and the SS filter set to 25 Hz.

At more moderate but still satisfyingly loud listening levels (say 112 dB bass peaks), the PB2+ is just coasting - just the ticket for ultra clean, effortless bass with lots of headroom.

8. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Overkill? What's that??
    [​IMG]

Gordon

9. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

I'm getting a B4+, with a room only 50% bigger.

10. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit