What's new

SVS PB2-ISD vs Monitor Audio FB210 Please Help (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
Dan I bought the products before I formed an opinion. This seems an odd concept to you. Please if you want to discuss this keep the shrillness down. He stated I RUN one which I have never done. LOLing is not a good sign of stability.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

What I find odd is that you wanted to buy a product but were beaten to the punch barely two weeks ago. In that two weeks you've decided you hate them. Whatever you say...

- Dan

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
Dan you appear easily addled. I had SVS products in the past and did NOT like them and figured it would be a good time to retry them. Unlike some people here I have a very open mind.

Anyways I have better things to do than this with golf in Hi Def coming on. Enjoy your subs gentleman.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
You make no sense man. It would be a nice time to try them again....but before you do you'll decide that you hate them. That's crazy.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Nicholas, You are right, you said you "engineered and mixed" the "master tapes" yourself in the recording studio. I think that is running the studio, but I guess that was in error.

So you don't run the studio. You engineer and mix the master tapes. Got it.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Nicholas, you are welcome. Could you do me the small favor of telling me what the person who does run the studio does? Engineering and mixing the Master Tapes is not the job of the person running the studio, I understand that now.

What DOES the person do who runs the studio ?

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
Hehehe he counts the money. I am hired for different projects by the recording companies NORMALLY and I tend to have them rent studios I have worked at and had good results in the past. Sometimes it comes down to where the band feels the most comfortable. If I'm doing a remix project for instance for a 5.1 release or so the companies can make more money having consumers by the 6th copy of what they already own, I go where they tell me to. I would never want to own my own. I don't have THAT great a name or the resources to do anything but go bankrupt that way.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Nicholas.. The guy who counts the money OWNS the business ... (studio in this case) ... I was wondering about how it was RUN. To whom do you answer when you are engineering/mixing the tape ?

Ned

Supporting Actor
Why would anyone "hate" a piece of equipment? Before SVS I had a Definitive Technology PF-1500. It sounded like utter crap but I was merely dissappointed with it. Before the Def Tech I had one of those goofy Yamaha YST-SW100 toy subs (8"x18"x24" with a 6" driver and nonsense servo technology). Again, god awful performance but I certainly didn't hate it.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
This surely is a weird thread. All I can say is I am glad I like HT over listening to pure audio. My PB2+ does HT perfect and almost perfect for audio for me. People that have and like SVS subs of course are drawn to this board as well as others due to it being almost only internet sales and word of mouth from them. I know they run a small ad in several magazines but figure most sales come from places like this where people talk to people and the word gets out. I would not call that a cult or following, I would call it a good product that folks like to brag about. On this board or the others you have alot of folks that like SVS. They may not be for everyone but you don't see folks talking it up about any other brand as much. Thant ought to tell you something right there. Maybe not for everyone but generally great for the masses!

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Mike:

The value that HSU and SVS offer (particularly SVS) is amazing. The direct model really can save folks money, and there seem to be some folks (probably B&M guys) that have a problem with that. SVS really does pass the savings on to the consumer. Amazing sub and an amazing value and if this pisses some people, well, you can't please everybody.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
VMPS Original and Larger, PSB Subsonic III and Subsonic IIIi, Sunfire True and Signature, Def Tech pro sub 80, 1500 and 1800, Velodyne FSR-18, F-1500, FSR-12 and HGS-15, Hsu VTF-3,VTF-2, STF-1 and 1220, Mirage 210 and 400, SVS 25-31+, 16-46 PC+, PB2+, and B4+, M&K 350 THX and 200THX, Legacy Deep Impact, Rocket UFW-10, Paradigm 2200 and Servo 15, Acoustic-Visions Denali, Aperion S-12, Glen Monitor Dual 15 (out of business, great sealed subwoofer), Klipsch KSW-10 and KSW-15, Cambridge Soundworks Model 12, 500, 1000 and Powered Subwoofers, Boston Acoustics THX passives with Adcom 555, REL Stadium III and Storm III, Aerial SW-12, Two custom JBL subwoofers, one with dual 15's, one with a single 18, Polk Audio PSW-1200 and PSW-650, B&W ASW 3000, KEF and Krix (cannot think of the models, they both had 15 inch drivers) and others that have slipped my mind are all subwoofers that have been through our home and tested in some form, even if just in casual listening.

This does not count all the full range speakers which had subwoofers built in... (more Def Techs, VMPS, and Legacy Audios come immediately to mind. Krell Master Reference, Wilson Puppy and Watchdog all auditioned at dealers.

This list took about 15 minutes from memory... and yes, I am glad my wife did not see this. For years, I had two very good friends who owned high end stores, they let me buy stuff at cost + 10% ... So using them for a few months and selling them and breaking even was pretty simple.

The one store owner died (bought my first stuff from him in 1978, he died 3 years ago), and the other sold his store two years ago, which was when I became a LOT more interested in the internet companies... The chains just do not do it... and we have no real good stores left here.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Nick,

Ron from SVS here. We're a bit stumped on what subs you had. I'm not touching the "love/hate" or "will/won't ever own another SVS" but if you drop me a line I'd sure like to figure out what you have had so far, and see if we can't find a way to take care of your product needs better in the future.

We think our subs are fantastic (it'd be pretty hard to work as hard as we do if we didn't think that) but know some brands, or their products just won't please everyone.

You said "I've owned 4 models". Maybe I missed what you meant, but again if you drop me a line or post here with models or serial numbers we can do some checking on the sorts of capabilities we know them to have and at least have a shot in our product development to engineer something that's more to your liking. Of course we'd need to know a bit more about what didn't please you with the subs. Probably can't do much if something about SVS "the company" doesn't work for your tastes, but let me know if you have suggestions there too.

It's easy for some to imagine a contrary view has "troll" written all over it, but we're genuinely always striving to make a product that CAN "please all of the people all of the time". It's a goal.

If we only listened to people that agree with us we'd never get very far, but we still would have to know where it is you came from in terms of SVS product (a privat e-mail is fine) or we'll never get there.

You have no need, or perhaps interest, in helping SVS, but we'd be interested just the same. "Nicholas R." doesn't match up with anything on our end so we're in the dark and are never comfortable (FWIW, agian no need for it to be important to you!) with a customer that's not pleased 100% with his/her sub, whatever they were.

Cheers,

Ron Stimpson
SVS Co-Founder
[email protected]

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Rats! Thanks to Nicky I now hate my eight 16-46 and twin B4+ SVS subs too!!
Boy, did I finally realize that these subbass systems are not "musical" at all, are so "slow" they leave a wet silvery trail behind...that they just simply can't keep up with "pace & rhythm," nor excell in the production of "inter-transient silences"!

So what's an audiophile to do? Why...burn incense at the altars of Wilson, REL, and other such "high-end" temples dedicated to the reproduction of real "tuneful" and "fast" bass (never mind their obscene, absurd, insanely high prices), of course! Will be doing that with the most fervent hope that sometime in the future I too can finally attain, savor, and enjoy "high-end" subwoofing nirvana!... :D

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks