What's new

SVS PB2-ISD vs Monitor Audio FB210 Please Help (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I've got to weigh in on this one...:)

Anyone who knows me a little bit knows that I never purchased anything from SVS and probably never will because I love to DIY and build my own stuff. The DIY subs I build make me happy with regards to performance and I like looking at the end result knowing I built it. Therefore, I do not owe SVS anything. But...

Nick, at which companies showroom were you able to audition all the SVS series subs?

- Dan Hine

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Nick,

Yeah, you did generalize. But here's the thing. I don't know how long you've lurked on the HTF but I know you've only been a member since May. We have in the past had MANY people on the HTF that claim to have gone to X store and listened to SVS subs or that they picked up an SVS for trial from Y dealer. Well, obviously they were full of crap.

Then there is you. Someone who says all the SVS subs are overrated when a LOT of respected reviewers will say otherwise. Someone who won't say anything about the products you've had because the list will be too long. Someone who is down right nasty about a company that takes care of it's customers. I've been known to dig into them a little from time to time but I always admit that they make a good product (maybe not right for everyone, but STILL a good product) at a good price. You seem to only want to be a jerk about them. Subs are very subjective but you state as gospel that there are better subs. For you? I have no doubt. For others? Not necessarily so.

And given your stance on SVS subs and how you hate them...well, that's a quick change from when you wanted to buy one on May 25th. Color me cautious about your intentions...I can live with that.

- Dan

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
I buy a lot of equipment Dan. I hadn't had that model and I have an open mind. I've had high end equipment since 1975 and a lot of disposable income from 1977. You REALLY think I can or should name every piece?
Again to emphasize cutting down a product does not make me a jerk. Rather a realist.
Again if I could replace what I have I would. And again again I use master tapes, or first gen of , that I recorded myself. I KNOW what they should sound like.
Unless you were in the studio how do you know what it should sound like?

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Nicholas, You are one amazing person. You have all that money AND run a recording studio.

For the rest of us who have to rely on live music as a standard, we don't know what a good system will sound like.

I am sorry guys...the rest of us just are not in his league.

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
Craig drop the sarcasm if you want to have an intelligent discourse. I have never said I own a recording studio I do much better financially and with less headaches, freelancing. Nor do I have unlimited amounts of money but enough to indulge my passion; music.
If you're going to continue this then please understand what I'm writing. Will make things much easier don't you think?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

When you recorded these tracks you no doubt had some EQ going and were mixing the tracks how YOU felt they should sound on the equipment in the studio. Since the SVS has a flat response it isn't the frequency response you don't like so it has to be the type of sound it produces. So you don't prefer it. Fine. That does NOT make it wrong. It is a personal preference. Maybe how you wanted it to sound is NOT how someone else wants it to sound.

- Dan

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
I am merely using your words, Nicholas, as well as posting facts. There is a saying "If you dish it out,...."

If someone had posted here that he "HATED" Mirage, and that they were "vastly overrated" and the owners of Mirage were a "rabid pack", I would take the same tact with that person.

YOU are the person who decided to start this, and make no mistake, you attacked SVS and the owners of SVS subwoofers. Do SVS owners often post how excited they are about their new subwoofer? Yes.

I will take someone posting how he/she loves his/her new equipment anyday, whether the equipment is SVS, Mirage, Hsu, Velodyne or even Bose.

As for SVS being overrated... I have yet to see a bad review of their equipment, including by Widescreen Review.

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
Dan I am quite sure I will have another SVS in my home as I will have many other brands. As for me deciding how a track should sound that is most rare and only once in a while on arock recordings. I am very much a less is better engineer because that is what I listen to myself and the vast majority of recordings I do are classical these days and I put to tape what the mic hears.

Craig you were putting words in my mouth which I do not appreciate. I give you the courtesy of reading and understanding what you write and I ask the same in return.

Apparently hate is a word that confounds you a little bit judging by how very many times you feel the need to write it.

Yes I hate and think SVS are overrated. I did not attack the owners and I think you really need to realize as I said this is a subwoofer. I wasn't saying I hate or think your wife is overrated. To get so upset about kit is not quite normal.

As for pro reviews well the "pros" I've met who are reviewers in the vast number of cases are wannabe musicians or engineers. Some at TAS or Stereophile are rather remarkable people however. Those who can do, those who can't teach or write about it.

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
Wacky no. I'm willing to give any company a shot and haven't closed my mind to SVS. Currently I do not like their products. Big shock isn't it?
Truly wacky indeed.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Come on, Nicholas. Your logic is wacky, or maybe you suffer from schizophrenia, which, if you do, I apologize completely.

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator

That I own a recording studio for starters.
Then you resorted to sarcasm and calling on the "guys" usually the mark of someone defeated.
Anyway enjoy the brotherhood of SVS owners and I'll enjoy the music.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I think Nick is lying about everything. He's not backing up a damn thing he says and hasn't earned anyone on this forums respect or trust.

Too many holes...as they say in the South:

That dog don't hunt.

- Dan

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
Dan I don't care what you think or if I'm not respected here. I tells it like I sees it. Don't like it well avoid my posts then as we say in the north.

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
Craig I NEVER once stated I RUN one. Would you care to get your facts straight? Little less hysteria and a little more facts would make this sooooooooo much easier don't you think?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

LOL...Craig didn't say you own one either. Get your facts straight.

And being a NH native I don't recall "avoid my posts" being a common saying. And if you called it like you see it then you would see how ridiculous you sound. HATING a product but still buying them...wacky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks