What's new

SVS PB2-ISD doesn't seem to work (1 Viewer)

David.O

Auditioning
I just took delivery of a new PB2-ISD sub + a Yamaha SX-V1400 receiver. Bearing in mind the fact that this is the first sub I have ever owned + the new receiver replaced one that was 6-7 years old my "experience" is limited to reading the manuals that came with each piece of equipment.

1. Connected the "Low Level" In (R) connection from the sub with the "Pre Out" Subwoofer connection with the cable supplied by SVS

2. Subwoofer = Yes on the receiver
3. Gain = approx. 1/4 on the sub.
4. Speaker size = small on receiver

The Yamaha has an auto testing mode where it starts with Wiring as the first check then Distance, Size, Equalizing, Level. The sub failed the first Wiring test so needless to say the test tones were useless after that. It appears that there is no signal coming from the sub at all. Originally used a second cable and that didn't seem to affect anything either.

Has anyone connected this receiver and sub before ? Any tips ? Is there an easy way of testing the sub without that receiver ? At least then I can isolate the problem to one or the other piece of equipment.

By the time I called the SVS Tech guy I was so bamboozled that the 3 or so things he wanted me to try confused me even more. Next time I call I'll be in a better frame of mind to understand what he is saying but I'd love to get this thing working on my own if I can. Besides that the thought of having to return this 115lb piece of equipment is scary ! HELP !

Thanks

Dave

Eric Eash

Second Unit
here are a few tips that i can offer.

-not sure if there is a way to check and see if the amp is getting power as i don't own an svs, just double check everything including power cord, wall outlet, and the connecting surfaces on the plugs.

-unless this is the way svs says to hook up the sub, try putting the cable in other inputs on the sub and check that the cable isn't directional meaning that the signal is only supposed to travel one way. you can also try a different cable, any rca cable will do.

-once you think everything there is good and that you are defineately getting power, try turning the gain up all the way, keep the volume low, maybe at -35 or -30, and then see if you hear anything. you can also go into the setup menu manually, go through and make sure all those settings are right, and then put a sub tone on the sub and see if you can do anything to get it to respond. other than that, maybe someone who has had a similiar experience will pipe in.

good luck,

eric

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Sounds like the receiver isn't sending the subwoofer a signal.

Make sure the sound mode is at something like Dolby Digital 5.1 and not some stereo 2.0 setting. You may have to actually PLAY a movie to get it in that sound mode.

If the amp powers on, and you know for a fact that the receiver is outputting a subwoofer signal then perhaps a connector got loose on the inside of the subwoofer which could be an easy fix. Or the amp or driver is defective but I bet SVS tests them before they ship out.

So you're connecting the subwoofer amp RCA "input" red with the RCA sub pre-out (LFE) channel on your receiver. Turn the subwoofer amplifier "ON", and set the receiver sound options so it plays dolby digital for your movie.

You could also try stereo like the radio in which case your sub should still get a signal as the receiver should automatically put itself into a 2.1 stereo mode.

BrentG

Stunt Coordinator
Turn the gain up higher on the sub, like 3/4 or so. If it is not up high enough the Vamaha will not here it in the auto set up and not know it is their.

Also if the sub has an auto on try and override it so it is on all the time. I have had no luck with auto on.

Wait a second, how does your Yamaha have auto set-up of it is a V1400, only the V2400 does that?

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I remember when I hooked mine up it did the same thing. I just had it hooked into the wrong sub connection on the receiver.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor

There sure is. With the sub turned off, connect the interconnect cable to the sub but NOT the receiver.

Turn the sub ON (not auto) grab the interconnect and touch the center conductor with your finger. If the sub is working you will hear a hum. If you don't, turn up the volume on the sub. If you still hear nothing you've got a defective sub. (You could conceivable have a bad cable, but you mentioned you swapped for another already)

WayneO

Supporting Actor
The first question is does the LED indicator on the amp turn green to indicate it is receiving a signal? If not, your receiver is not sending an LFE signal and menus and sources should be rechecked.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
WAYNO SAYS:

True, but... If the sub's amp is defective it might be getting a signal and not even acknowledging it.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Have you contacted SVS via email of phone all?

It is highly unlikely it would take a long time for them to reply.

Questions;

Is the LFE indicator on the receiver illuminated during low frequecny playback?

My recommendations is to review pages 51 and 52 to verify LFE is set up correctly.

Also to test the sub set the gain about hald, disable the cross overs, place the auto/on switch to ON, ensure the green light is on.

to see if the sub works at all you can try this but of a SECOND.

turn every thing off.
unplug the input to the sub.
turn on the receiver
then the sub
take the subs input cable and briefly touch it to the input jacks of the svs. you should hear a loud annoying hum. remember only for a second.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Well that's obvious, but if you have no signal to amplify you don't know if the amp is defective. The LED will hopefully indicate that and after that is answered we can conclude other things..........What was the point of singling my question out, it was a legitimate question that will help to further diagnose the problem........

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
For an easy check he could hook it up to one of the front speakers if they are set to large and see if he gets any sound out of it. Then we would know green light or red light it would be the amp on the sub.

David.O

Auditioning
Thanks for everyone's comments.

A few general comments:
* Speaker size was set to SMALL
* Indicator light on the back of the sub is green regardless of whether the sub is connected to the receiver or not (seems strange to me)
* I used both auto and manual testing modes - same results.
* I tested the low freq using each of the four speakers in turn and then the sub. The 4 speakers had a signal - the sub didn't.
* I tried using LFE for SWR only then BOTH

So let me get this clear. I should hook up the sub as if it was one of the front speakers i.e. to the (R) + & - "Input" on the sub for example (as opposed to the low level input that I would normally connect it to) ?

Thanks again for all of your help

erikk

Stunt Coordinator
Hey David;

I believe I spoke to you on the phone. That is correct, disconnect the left or right main speaker and run the speaker wire to either the left or right speaker level input on the back of the sub. Make sure you have the crossover enabled on the sub and you have the main speakers set to large. If you get output from the sub then, its probably a settings issue that is not sending a signal out the subwoofer out of the receiver (Yamaha seems to have a lot of weird bass settings so this might still be the case); if you're not getting any output then there might be something wrong with the sub (maybe it took a hard knock in shipping or something).

Either way if you haven't already please make sure to bounce an email to [email protected]. They might have some ideas we haven't thought of.

David.O

Auditioning
Yes Erik guilty as charged - it was me you spoke to. At the time I was trying to get a number of things working properly so I when you quickly rattled off some suggested fixes it didn't soak in properly to my already confused brain. I was trying to get things sorted out before I contactd SVS again but you have found me out ! I did appreciate your assistance at the time though.

I tried the speaker hookup as you suggested with no success unfortunately. I'm starting to think that a wire knocked loose in transport or something similar.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
WAYNO says:
I wasn't "singling" anybody out. I was just trying to point out to David O. that your troubleshooting tip had a flaw and could lead to erroneous results. And subsequent test prove me right as it appears now that the sub is defective but the "green light" is on all the time nonetheless.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Without taking the 15 minutes to remove the baseplate and a driver it is difficult to say if it is defective or if a wire came loose.

The PB2s are very simple to open up. Flip it up side down remove the baseplate and the numerous screws holding in the driver and gently lift the driver out.

If the amp turns on then as David mentioned himself a wire just might be off its terminal.

Break mout yhe phillips head drivers and start turning.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
David O says:
You then have a defective sub, but don't worry, SVS will fix it one way or another. If you're handy with tools you can go ahead as ScottCarr sugested and take a peek to see if it is something that came loose. If you're not, let Erik at SVS handle it. They'll get you going in no time.

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
David,

As long as you take those speaker wires (and with no other changes are getting sound in your main speaker) are "hot" and you have them going to the high-level input posts, the LED on the sub amp is on and you STILL don't get sound then we're alread working your amp replacement.

Every SVS goes through a battery of tests before it goes out but "infant mortality" can happen.

Drop us a quick e-mail as to where the best place to send an amp to you (work, home, wherever). A swap can be done in a matter of a few minutes with hand tools.

We'll get this right, or a full sub on the way if we have to ASAP.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks