SVS PB2+ is Hic-cupping.....

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by David Bouwkamp, Apr 18, 2004.

1. David Bouwkamp

David Bouwkamp Auditioning

I've had my PB2+ for about 3 weeks now. Initially the setup and sound was fine. I've tinkered with the placement of the sub a few times and have calibrated it each time with my receiver's test tones. On one occassion while the test tone was playing the sub shorted out or would "hic-cup" briefly.

I've now got the sub positioned where I want it and calibrated it again. During the test tone it again would short out. As the tone is playing the sub will hic-cup several times. I am using a line level cable and put it in both the L and R ports but there is no change - it hic-cup's in both ports. During this calibration the sub suddenly stopped hic-cupping and the tone was smooth. I've played a few movies since and the sub to my ears appears to be playing normally.

Tonight I threw in Matrix Revolutions. During the opening scene and I could hear the sub once again hic-cupping. I quickly did a test tone and it is now constantly hic-cupping. I've tried two different subwoofer cables and there is no change. One thing I have noticed however is is if the gain is at a low level it will not hic-cup. Only as I turn the gain up will it start to do it more often. I have had my gain set at about one third when it was working fine.

It sounds like the sub is cutting out and I don't know why. When it is working it sounds fine but tonight when I started watching that movie it was constantly cutting out and it makes frequent sounds that I can best describe as being a hic-cup.

Any ideas?

2. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Contact SVS customer service, especially with a 3 week old subwoofer... They will correct the problem.

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi David,

As Craig mentioned, we can respond to emails faster than forum posts(usually). Feel free to email me at

[email protected]

How large is the listening room and does it have any large openings to other areas of the home? How do you have the PB-2+ configured (number of ports blocked, and setting on amplifier filter knob).

How far from the key seating positions is the subwoofer located?

Tom V.
    SVS

4. David Bouwkamp

Tom,
    I sent you a response to the tech support email address at SVS.

Thanks,

Dave

5. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Dave - Let us know how tings pan out...

6. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Post edited. Thought you were using a Y splitter at first and maybe that could be the culprit. I see now you were just switching to the L/R inputs. Good luck with the troubleshooting - SVS will get you running strong again, I'm sure.

7. David Bouwkamp

I've tried it with both a Y-splitter and without and have also switched ports - no change, same problem. Craig, I will let you know how things turn out.

Dave

8. Randy_Mann

Randy_Mann Stunt Coordinator

David,

I recently within the last week had this same problem with my no less than 3 week old PB2. What I found to be the case with mine was this. If I started to watch a movie and let the sub auto on, I got the exact same results as you. The sub cut out and had a little clicking sound, almost like it was clipping. This was happening no matter what my volume level was, low or high. If I walked over, and turned the sub on and let it "warm" up for 10-15 minutes before I started a movie or music, the sub ran perfectly. Of course it shouldn't do this, but it is worth a try in your case. Turn it on about 10-15 minutes before you start. It is possible that your amp is doing exactly what mine did.

SVS was great in the support side of things. After going over a few things, they sent out a new amp, which I changed myself on Saturday. So far, everything is working normally. I haven't had much time to use it this weekend, but rest assured I will be giving it a workout this week.

9. David Bouwkamp

Randy,

Thanks for the info. It sounds similar to my experience. I also have always left my sub in the "auto" position. I'll give it a shot today and turn it to the "on" position and let it warm up. I'll post later tonight how that worked. I am also waiting a response from Tom V. whom I've emailed at SVS.

Dave

10. Randy_Mann

Randy_Mann Stunt Coordinator

David,

I'd be curious to see if it was very similar to mine. Please let me know either way.

11. David Bouwkamp

Well, after leaving everything unplugged on my PB2+ all day I went ahead and tried what Randy suggested. I plugged the sub in and then plugged the line level cable in. With the sub in auto mode and with the gain down all the way I could hear the sub clicking (hic-cupping). This was without the receiver on (safe-mode). The green light was also lit which means the sub was getting some type of signal. I switched the mode to "on" instead of "auto" as Randy suggested and left the room to let it warm up for awhile. I returned about 20 min later and the clicking had stopped. I turned my receiver on and tried the receiver's test tone for the sub and the sub clicked constantly - so much so that I never even heard a bass tone at all. I popped in a movie and the clicking continued although not as bad as when I was doing the test tone. The clicking appears to have gotten worse a day later.

The good news is that Tom V. from SVS has contacted me as has a new amp enroute to my house already. He seems to think that there is a defective solder joint in the amp somewhere. I'm going to leave the sub alone and wait until I install the new amp before I try it again. Hopefully that solves the problem.

By the way I also hooked up my old Cambridge sub to my receiver and it works fine so that rules out my receiver or cables being the problem.

I'll post here again to let you know what the results are of the new amp and I can't say enough about SVS customer service.

Dave

12. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

Ain't they just great!

13. David Bouwkamp

Got my new SVS amp via UPS on friday and installed it on Saturday. Installation was fairly easy and the instructions were well written. I did a quick test tone before I had to leave for work and it was smooth, deep and hic-cup free. Tonight I watched Master & Commander and the sub sounded beautiful. I am happy once again.

Dave

14. Chris Grillo

Chris Grillo Stunt Coordinator

David,

Glad to hear your problem was solved.Injoy.
    SVS does have great customer service! [​IMG]

15. Rob Grim

Rob Grim Stunt Coordinator

I'm even going to take it one step further than what Chris just said. IMO SVS has the BEST customer service available. David, glad to see your up and running again.