SVS PB2+, best powered Sub for the $ ever?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Skyler, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Skyler

Skyler Stunt Coordinator

I am AMAZED at what this sub can do! I just listened to a Velodyne HGS 15, and IMO the PB2+ STOMPS it! I also listened to the big M&K & Klipsch. LOL. Granted, it isn't as pretty. I'll take the best bass I've ever heard over "pretty" ANY DAY. I cannot wait until some magazine reviewer gets his hands on one of these. I'm sure they will be shocked! [​IMG]

2. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I am not surprised.

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

You'll have to pry mine from my dead cold fingers!!! Its a keeper..

4. Fletcher F

Fletcher F Auditioning

Just ordered my PB2+ I hope it is every thing I have read. Then again I have yet to find anyone who was not happy with SVS. From every thing I have read, Tom and Ron will work with one to get the sub properly set-up. I know I e-mailed Ron and he sent a reply, with my question answered, promptly. Too bad it will be 3-4 weeks before delivery.

5. Brian Mixon

Brian Mixon Agent

Do you think their PB2+ would be the best SVS box for a large room? My room is 19ft x 28ft with a cathedral cieling that reaches 20ft at the tip. At first I was thinking SVS was big for their Pci line, but ugh...this ones the best huh?

6. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

7. Skyler

Skyler Stunt Coordinator

My Room is 40X30, 12' ceilings, tile floors. The PB2+ is a knockout anywhere in the room. I upgraded from a PC+, which was a bit too small for my room.

8. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

I have read nothing but glowing reviews regarding the SVS PB2+. In terms of performance alone....what advantages does the PB2+ have over "dual" SVS 20-39PC+'s? Would not "dual" 20-39 PC+'s have more output and "native" extension. Does the PB2+ have some design characteristics that I am missing?

9. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

10. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

I think Tom our R/D Chief would confirm that indeed Mike's right. Twin 20-39PC-Plus subs would (if properly situated side by side with phase well optimized... which is easy to do in any case) extend deeper and have more output across the board too. Not ALOT more output but probably an audible difference you might discover in a very large room (keeping in mind that we'd be talking about a difference at what would be pretty extreme SPLs!). You would have more enclosure space, more vent space, more combined amp power and the same woofers. So it's just a question of physics. One important caveat: If you separate the two PC-Plus subs (say in opposing corners or something), some cancellation effects would start to play out and and all performance comparison bets are off. Even with the best phase optimization you might get you are unlikely to beat a single PB2-Plus much, if at all.

Still, if you already had one PC-Plus, and wanted a kick in the pants, "headroom to burn" upgrade, adding a second of the same size/type (space permitting) is the smart way to go. Especially if you can locate them side by side to allow maximum "coupling" effect and minimize cancellation.

If you just want a visually smaller sub (not that anyone is likely to call a PB2-Plus small!) and want ONE enclosure, then the PB2+ might be the way to go. This is doubly true if you have a buyer lined up for your "old" SVS and don't have the ability to co-locate twin PC subs.

Ron

11. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Hey Ron (or anyone else who would know),

I have a 20-39 pci and am wondering how many of those it would take to equal a PB2+. I am thinking about either just buying another pci or selling what I have and going for the PB2+.

By the way, my room is 23 x 18 x 8 with no openings to other rooms. How many db could I get at the listening position with two pci's? How about a PB2+? (estimates I'm sure).

The hardest I've pushed my pci is around 112 db (listening position) during Monsters Inc. I'm scared to push it any harder, I don't want it to bottom out (I've never done that).

thanks

12. Brian Mixon

Brian Mixon Agent

Wow... and to think I was about to get the dual cylinder subs setup. When the dual plus can barely compare to the PB2+. Thanks for further convincing me not to do somthing stupid. PB2+ is mine.

13. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Anyone try running both their existing SVS with their new PB2+ with the SVS cylinder model stacked on top of the PB2 +?
    If so, how does it sound?

14. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I think I am getting ready to add a third 25-31 CS+ to my mix in the next week? Dual does very well though. Over 120 dB at reference >> (All that I definitely need) Bang for your dollar the PB2+ is the way to go but I already have the tubes going and my corner is only so big. The three 25-31 CS+'s will fit quite nicely and have a nice/substantial edge over the PB2+. If it were not for a certain peace of furniture (WAF) I would team up the PB2+ with the dual 25-31+'s.

15. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Just for you real die hards info.. I think you could put two of the SVS tubes on top of the PB2+. That way you would have both. Hummm... now its got me thinking....

16. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

If I could do the stack I definitely would but that option is not a option in my case. I have a 1/2 wall as part of the corner (top subs would be at a severe disadvantage) and WAF would come into play again.

17. David_D

David_D Stunt Coordinator

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Based on the title, doesn't this thread belong over at AVS?[​IMG]

19. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Are you at play again Brian? How do you feel about Jib-Jab being your new Forum name?? [​IMG] All in the name of fun.