SVS PB12 Plus/2

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Paul Mor, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Paul Mor

Paul Mor Stunt Coordinator

I feel I got extremely lucky and found a used one (9 months old)within driving distance. I say extremely lucky because this is the sub recommended by Ron at SVS and to find one in excellent condition within driving distance was highly unlikely. Thanks to Kurt by the way...I appreciate your patience in working around my schedule for pick-up.

Anyway, the real purpose of the post is to give my initial impressions. This will be a very layman review (if you can even call it a review). No technical information, just reporting what I hear/feel in my living room.

First of all, it is big...think compact refrigerator except a little bigger and a lot heavier. I thought my wife would flip out when she saw it, but so far she hasn't said anything (I've had it 10 days now). I have it in the corner, and it does somewhat blend in.

For reference sake, I am replacing a Velodyne CHT-120, which I thought was really good. There is no contest between the two, but at $1000, I guess they are not comparable. The lows just rumble your insides when played near reference levels. The bass is nice and tight, but I find that it's really more about what you feel that makes it stand out. I have an H/K 7300 and I've calibrated with the test tones and remote/SPL, so I know it's not calibrated 100% correctly, but it's still awesome. I bought this sub without ever hearing an SVS, but count me among the believers of SVS being among the best bang for your buck. While the price for this is high (it is for me anyway), I know I'll never need to upgrade again. That along with performance make it a great buy.

During my first demo, I was watching The Incredibles with my 8 year old daughter. After an explosion, she looked at my wife and said, "That bad boy rocks." If an 8 year old can tell a difference, that says a lot to me.

Again, I know this is a very generic review, but if you are considering upgrading your sub, the hype of many message boards about SVS is true. I've also dealt with both Ron and Erik in sales and can't say enough about how helpful they were...especially considering I didn't even buy my sub from them.

2. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Congrats on your new sub Paul.[​IMG]

3. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Yeah man, Welcome to the world of SVS...

Regards.
    DavidSGT

4. SteveS.

SteveS. Auditioning

It has been made abundantly clear to me that my PB12+/2 and I were meant for each other.