SVS PB12-isd/2

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by travisPL, Mar 8, 2006.

1. travisPL

travisPL Auditioning

Hi, i just recently got the PB12-isd and it kick azz for HT but when i come to music its kinda weak since i don't think it pressurize all the air for the room (big).

anyone here know if the PB12-isd/2 is better compare to the PB12-isd since the PB12-isd/2 is a twin????

please let me know, thanks....

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    HOW big of a room? You may not have enough sub.

Not all music necessarily has bass that will pressurize the room.

3. travisPL

travisPL Auditioning

i guess you can say its loud but not loud enough... me and my friend already spend 600 for the PB12, now we are willing to add another 300 to see if this will shake the house... if not then we'll just return the SVS and look elsewhere.

room is 20x20x10 and open to another room.
    don't get me wrong here, for HT its amazing widowns shakes and everything, but i just want to feel the pressure with the music a little more i don't think its enough.

i also emailed SVS and waitting for their reply so during the time hopefully i can get some input here with the experience SVS owners. plz let me know if the PB12isd/2 is better then the PB12isd or 'JustREturnIt'.

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

This is key. What music are you playing?

5. travisPL

travisPL Auditioning

R&B / HipHop

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

It sounds like you want that heavy chest-smack upper-bass sound, car-eq. If you're shaking the windows, volume and depth probably isn't the issue.
    The ISD/2 is, of course, better than PB12-ISD. Bigger cabinet, double the drivers, double the power, much more porting. The ISD/2 tuned to 25Hz would probably give you more of the music headroom you want, but you might also want an eq to play around with adding some accent in that upper bass.

7. Brian Sheldon

Brian Sheldon Auditioning

for a room that big--especially if it is open to another room you should have started with the isd/2. If you had emailed SVS ahead of time they would have told you that the isd/2 would be the minimum. I have the +/2 in a room that is 4600 cubic feet--your room is 4000 plus the room(s) it is open to. Another thing you are porbably expereincing for the first time (i went through it as well) is FLAT bass response. I originally thought it was lacking compared to my crappy old 10" 150W sub. I used to run it extremely hot to get any feel so the high bass was extremely exagerated. The sound of the SVS is what it is SUPPOSED to sound like. You, like the rest of us are use to highly bloated mid-high bass in the 40-80hz range. your isd is flat down to 22hz with in room response below that--into the subsonic. Higher bass is especially true in the car audio world. Even the most powerful systems (i have been in cars that hit over 150spl, been to competitions when some of the cars hit over 160) still do not approach true subsonic bass below 20hz. Most of the extreme competition vehicles tune their subs to around 30hz--huge peak in frequency response centered on that one frequency to get the absolute most spl possible. The typical subs you buy at best buy or circuit city are centered around 50-60hz range. This gives the most "boom" that everyone loves in car audio and is so popular is today's hip/hop music. Home audio is a whole other animal. Good bass is flat (equal amount of output)from crossover point to down around or below 20hz. Run a frequency response curve on a system that you think sounds good and then run one on yours. I think you will be surprised at what you find. (of course remeber in room frequency response will vary greatly to what the sub does in an open space--the room will play havoc with the response.) What you are probably used to and like probably is very high in the 40-80hz range and almost nothing below 30hz. With all this being said the 25hz native tune of the isd/2 will get the closest to what you are used to with by far the most output. Give it time you will come to like it. Also, experiement some with the placement. Another thing to consider is buying the BFD (about $100) to eq your response. This should be done to tame peaks, not overly boost valleys. If you want shear output and don't care much about sub 25hz bass the Velodyne DLS 5000R is a monster in that department. It will have even more output above 30hz than even the isd/2 but it will get trounced below that. It has a 15" driver 600W RMS amp, and is smaller than the isd/2. The kicker is it is available for about $650. I hope all of this helps.

8. travisPL

travisPL Auditioning

thanks alot for your reply..
    im thinking about returning the pb12 and try the pb12isd/2.
    just hate the shipping*

once again thanks.

9. Michael Young

Michael Young Stunt Coordinator

I have a question. Did you calibrate using Avia or DVE or both?

Reason Im wondering is, if you have the DTSLFE pushed up to max and LFE pushed to max, then the subwoofer channel and sub volume would be lower overall. but in 5.1 playback it would be a whole lot louder.

In otherwords, knock down the LFE volumes, and bump the sub volume.

Also check your crossovers on the speakers. It might not be throwing the bass to the sub at a hi enough Hz. have it 80Hz or higher, and see if that makes a difference.

And finally, what kind of receiver are you using?