SVS PB12-ISD/2 / HSU VTF-3 / AXIOM 350 Showdown!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by steve nn, Jan 25, 2005.

1. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/sho...b=5&o=0&fpart=

"...we expected more out of (the SVS), and we got it. BOY, did we ever get it. This was the easiest sub to place to get good sound. We almost could have placed it anywhere.

And from the first note, we were blown away. This sub is an instrument. I mean, it is flat out musical. I never thought I would write that this brute is subtle and even delicate in its sound. But it is. And when you get to an industrial strenght, heavy duty song or section, it is absolutely clean and clear and very powerful. Whoa Nelly, is it powerful. This thing wasn't even breathing hard by the time we got it to the wall-flexing level.

Now 5.1. We tuned the ports to 16HZ. Well, I'm just astounded. Flat out astounded. It's almost effortlessly powerful. The THX pattern was just a titanic monolith of bass power. Sure, it couldn't reach that 10Hz note, but nothing under $1k that I've heard of can. The pod scene was
    spectacular, the flyover was breathtaking.

The EP350 was excellent at music, and very good at 5.1. At this price range it seems to be a great value as an all-around performer.

The HSU lacked some of the EP's musicality, but flexed it's muscle in 5.1. Not all that great to look at, though. If you watch 5.1 movies more than you listen to music, this is another excellent value. Don't be swayed by the music part though. It did fine. We just thought it wasn't quite as good in that area.

The PB12 is astounding. Now, if you include shipping, it is
    almost a whole high-quality Universal disc player more expensive than the other 2. But we were simply awestruck by this sub. It does everything extremely well without seeming to work hard at all."

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Need to add that it was the PB12/2ISD. Also an old VTF-3....not the MK2 or newer amp.

The poor guy got taken too....because he bought it used as a MK2.

Very interesting thread too!

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hi Curtis,

Point well taken but I think the good members will figure that part out by following the link.

While were on the subject of clarifying though[​IMG] There are a few things over in your domain that I wouldn't mind seeing straightened out[​IMG]

Tongue and cheek Curtis.

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Domain??

And like me....you can clarify as well anywhere you see fit.

OK...I see you added this. [​IMG] And I'm guessing you are meaning the Hsu forum. I don't have any control on what is posted there....just like you don't here...but I have complained to the Hsu forum admin before about how some Hsu fans have acted. Have you complained about SVS fans or representatives here? [​IMG]

5. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    I read through the thread on that review. No level matching, no blind testing, subwoofer tweaking, etc ... so it was about the same level of test as was Curtis's was last spring.

A fun listening session, but not a review ... [​IMG]

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Have you complained about SVS fans or representatives here?[​IMG]
    __________________________________________________ ___

Never hear but continuously over at the SPOT[​IMG]

>>>A fun listening session, but not a review ...>>This will be a very subjective, non-technical comparison/review.

7. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Steve ... "listening session" and "comparison/review" are quite different. He said "comparison/review" ...

When doing a review here (talking subwoofers now), we level match each subwoofer and conduct blind listening tests ... people get MUCH more attentive when the opinions he/she is posting will be matched up to the subwoofer in question AFTER the review process is done.

This is why I mentioned a Hsu vs. SVS blind shootout a couple of months ago.

I am not trying to start anything here, but did you notice neither company was real interested in doing this ?

And remember, I was only going to do the set up for those involved, I was NOT going to participate ...

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

He said "comparison/review" ...
    __________________________________________________ ____

Yes I understand Craig and of course I did from the first. If you add in front of "comparison/review" what he actually said. You will notice his intent was to come across in a lighter manner than what you suggest.

Granted> With us spending so much time talking about subs rather than listening at times, we/I/you notice allot.

9. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Steve ... I am not suggesting anything here. When I saw the title of the thread mentioning the three subs in question being in a "showdown", I was expecting more...

IT was a pretty good read ... but not a showdown, according to what showdown normally means.

When Matt Smi (nice young man) posted about a "review" between the SVS PB12-Plus and the Hsu VTF-3 at Curtis's home, I pointed out the identical items ...

Just trying to be fair here ... [​IMG]

10. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

>>>Steve ... I am not suggesting anything here. When I saw the title of the thread mentioning the three subs in question being in a "showdown", I was expecting more...

11. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Steve ... I am not taking issue with you at all ... and the thread itself is REALLY funny. I love "Office Space", and when they manage to hi-jack it into talk about Office Space, things got civil after a bit of testiness...

Look at it this way, had "Hsu won", Matt Smi would have opened a thread here, and I would be teasing Curtis about now ... [​IMG]

12. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Look at it this way, had "Hsu won", Matt Smi would have opened a thread here, and I would be teasing Curtis about now ...[​IMG]

No teasing is always welcome. I think most know that The PB12-ISD/2 is the better performer anyway[​IMG]

13. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Yep, YOU will be welcome back at the Hsu forum ... [​IMG]

14. jephdood

jephdood Stunt Coordinator

I've owned both the Hsu and the SVS. I eventually sold the VTF-3 II because I was just plain curious about SVS and, specifically, the PB12-ISD/2. Now that I've had experience with both, I can say that I prefer the sheer force of the SVS for movies, but the Hsu blended better with my mains for music. So it's interesting that you say the Hsu lacked musicality? I now own the SVS and a couple of smaller sealed 10" subs for music, which works out well for me.

I guess I like both subs for different purposes.. but if I had to select the right sub for BOTH applications (multipurpose), and I had it to do over again, I would have kept the Hsu.

The "HO" (High Output) version they have coming out should be an interesting player. SVS also has some smaller subs in development. Ain't competition great for us consumers? [​IMG]

15. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Hey ... Bluestater is putting together a blind test ... including DVD players, subwoofers, and receivers.

Looks pretty cool ... maybe Curtis will FINALLY get that blind test ... [​IMG]

16. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Now that I've had experience with both, I can say that I prefer the sheer force of the SVS for movies, but the Hsu blended better with my mains for music.

Yes I have heard that Jeff. Did you find yourself pulling back the gain a few notches on the receiver for music? When I ran a +2db calibration, I used to do so and it was bliss. Since I run it flat now, I don't find myself pulling it back.

17. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Wow....what happenned?

All in good fun you guys!

Blind test in Portland could be fun.

18. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Curtis ... My first post said "FUN" and had a smilie [​IMG] ... I agree, as with your listening session last April, this was just for fun, absolutely.

However, The original thread title said "showdown" ... by definition, "showdown" means serious ... all I did was to correct the notion that this was a serious, somber, contest ...

19. Peter Marcks

Peter Marcks Stunt Coordinator

What a colorful thread over there [​IMG]

For what it's worth, there are some significant differences between the VTF-3MKI and VTF-3MKII. The porting is improved, the driver has had some refinements, the amplifier is much more powerful, and the finish quality is much cleaner. The current amp has more than double the peak power of the original amp, and approximately 40% more RMS power.

Regarding music, we would be able to help the consumer optimize for music if we knew more about the room, the associated equipment, and the preference in music. Of course, that is assuming he wants our help. [​IMG]

Cheers

20. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

No problem Craig! No issues here.

I have other things on my mind. A friend of mine that works at Epson is offering me a GREAT deal on their last year's RP LCD HDTV......oh what to do!!!???