What's new

SVS PB10 Question(Port Noise) (1 Viewer)

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka
Heartbeats causes port noise very easily. One good test is Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The moon, Track 1. Very low hearsbeats at the beginning. Unless sub is tuned 20Hz or below (or sealed), port noise WILL be heard. It's not dangerous...

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Laminar air flow within a port is very quiet (almost inaudible). Above the laminar limit, the flow starts to become turbulent (non-laminar), and you will start to hear that chugging sound.

Simply playing notes at/near the tuning point of the subwoofer is not a guarantee you will hear port noise - it's a matter of how loud you play them. If you stay within the laminar flow limits of the vent, you won't hear anything but the note being played, even if the port is moving a lot of air.

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka
Yes, of course you need to play that track pretty loud. Atleast with any SVS. :)

Heartbeats are pulsating, thats why they cause port noise at moderate levels. I mean lower than other "normal" sounds, say 30Hz siniwave.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The 3" ID port SVS uses flares to 4.875". This port is very well sized for a single 10" woofer, and can flow a lot of air before it goes non-laminar, but it does have limits.

If the owner is playing the sub loud enough to consistently induce audible port noise under normal music/movie playback, he is overdriving the unit and a larger subwoofer should be considered.

Today my pb10 arrived and I'm really impressed but I also have port noises near Tuning point,but only @ higher levels.

The depth is really amazing!

Whith sine tones I hear all very loud down to 22Hz below this freq. the tone get's much more quietly and everything in the room starts shaking :D :b

I can only feel tones below 20Hz is that normal?

Only sad thing: SVS has forgotten to give my bettercables into the package...

David

Mike^S

Stunt Coordinator
No problem with that Pink Floyd song on my PB10. ;) Most of the bass is centered around 25-30hz. Check the screenshot:

nike.cecs.csulb.edu/~msisk/speak_to_me.jpg

Mike^S

Stunt Coordinator
Ya it's normal to not hear 20hz. I can definately feel it though and I can hear the things in my apartment shaking.

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka
Yep, it's not ultralow, but low enough for most ported subs to produce port noise (moderate/high level).
SVS is a different kind of animal... :D

You might want to check this out. Sarah McLachlan: Back Door Man.
Not extremely loud, but low. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks