What's new

SVS PB10-NSD, is it too much sub... (1 Viewer)

Mike-Gr

Grip
for my other speakers to where they would get drowned out????

The room is roughly 2500 cubic feet, I'm not really looking to fill the whole room with bass or looking to rattle the windows out, but do want something that will provide clean deep bass for a system that will be used primarly in a home theater setup for watching TV and movies.

My other components:

Fronts - Infinity ERS 210II, 2-Way 6-1/2" In-Wall Speaker
Center - Infinity Beta C250
Surrounds/Rears - Infinity ERS 110II, 2-Way 6-1/2" Round In-Ceiling Speaker
A/V Receiver - JVC RX-D702B

Other subs I was considering:

Infinity 12" PS-12, 300 Watts RMS, 25Hz - 150Hz (+/- 3 dB)
Bic Acoustech 12" H-100, 150 Watts RMS, 24 Hz - 200 Hz (+/- 3 dB)

Any opinions or suggestions on other subs I may want to look at????

Thanks....

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
If properly calibrated, no sub should "drown out" your conventional speakers. There are some that may not be up to the task of producing the volume and low bass that you want, but any "overkill" is handled by calibration. Essentially, you can have too little sub, but never too much sub (taking price out of the equation, of course). Also, SVS subs are designed for a flat frequency response, so when calibrated to your system, there will be no noticable "bloated bass" hump (usually around 40-50 Hz) present in some inferior subs, making for a "boomy" sound which can be unnatural.

That being said, some like to run the sub a few dB hot (i.e calibrated to +3 over reference) to amplify the LFE effects and you may take this into account when determining the sub for you. Best thing to do is shoot an e-mail to SVS with your room size, configuration and budget concerns and they'll steer you towards the best "bang for the buck" that fits your price range. I've never heard them oversell to anyone and many times they suggest a less expensive sub (or even a competitor's sub) if that is what is best for the customer.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
As far as drowning out your other speakers, no, so long as you properly calibrate the sub. Also the PS-12 can be had for insanely cheap, so if you are not looking to bring the house down, you may not need the SVS. But the SVS will go deeper and in all propability sound better, and ready for the future if you get bigger speakers and a more powerfull receiver. There is no such thing as to much, only to little.

So basically everything Jeff said. Sorry Jeff, you must have posted while I was typing.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Your room is fairly large, and I had the PB-10 in a room a bit larger than that. It was enough but it was not "plenty". IMO, it will do the trick. Neither of those other subs will come anywhere near going as low as the PB-10, though the PB-10 doesn't quite move as much air as a larger sub. IMO, the PB-10 is about as good as you'll find in a sub for the money (new).

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
My room is 16x25 and the PB-10 does a much better job than I ever expected....it's satisfying, but like John said, there is more bass to be had with a larger SVS :) I also agree that the PB-10 is the best $429 you can spend on bass (I feel that away about every SVS sub, actually), and DEFINITELY CALIBRATE!!! It makes the whole surround experience much more balanced and cohesive in its presentation.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
The sub can only "drown out" the main speakers if they are both operating in the same frequency range. During calibration, you set the subwoofer's crossover to pick up where the main speakers leave off.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Yea, I bought a Sony Dream system and decided to replace the sub that came with it with a Velodyne Digital 1812. It still isn't enough.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks