SVS Pb10-isd ??

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Garrett Lundy, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

So according to the SVS "news" page:

The soon to be unleashed PB10-ISD will feature a response of 21-125hz at +/- 1Db!.

Am I reading something wrong, or is this sub going to outperform the entire PCi/PC+ line-up by a wide margin? Or is something leaking into the water at SVS headquarters? I didn't think the Velodyne 1812 had a response curve that flat!

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Strictly from a frequency response standpoint, the PB10-ISD seems to be some of SVS' best work.

It won't outperform its bigger brothers in terms of clean output, but if operated within its limits, it should provide bass that sounds every bit as good as a PB1-ISD or a 20-39PCi.

Regards,

Ed

4. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

where does it stand as far as other well known subs for $400???

5. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

Are the SVS subs shielded and will this new PB10-ISD be shielded?

6. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Walt,

No, most high end subs are not. Typically our woofers are far enough (even a foot or two is enough) from any display that magnet flux is just not worth expending design and budget to block. Unless you plan to use a subwoofer as a TV stand (not recommend in any case) shielding is just a non-issue. With any sort of non-CRT based set (DLP, LCD, Plasma) you can have a properly designed subwoofer practically touching.

In any case, shielding has been irrelevant for the thousands and thousands of subs we've sent out. We are however DEATH on EMI testing (we do extensive rounds of this at the Indigo factory in Toronto) so that there are NO stray "electro magnetic interference" issues that might otherwise affect displays or other electronics even if a sub was shielded. Usually amps are the source of such problems not woofers.

Ron

7. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your quick reply. Due to space limitations, I may have to go with the new PB10-ISD. I currently have the little "emergency sub" Sony SA WM40 which as everyone here knows has a 12" woofer. But I'm beyond certain that the PB10-ISD's 10" woofer will be much better than that Sony's 12".