What's new

SVS PB1 v. HSU VTF-3 (1 Viewer)

KeithY

Stunt Coordinator
I'm leaning toward the SVS based on reviews, cost and
amp wattage and I'm so close to getting WAF I can taste it:D

Is there anything else I need to know or look into before deciding?
Can someone give me a nudge in the right direction?

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Keith,

No nudge, you might expect I'd feel the PB1-ISD is the better sub at a better price.

So I won't say that ;^).

But since you didn't mention looks (but did mention WAF) I thought I'd post the latest pics, just hours old (from top to bottom, Goldenrod, Graystone, Icewhite, and Tan Granite):

Shipping now. Still made in the USA, call us old fashioned. Sort of just had to do this since we've been beaten up for months for only having black available (naturally black is still available though!). If people like them, the colors could gravitate to the wildly popular PB2-Plus at some point but no there are no imediate plans to do that.

A PB2-Ultra and PB1-Plus, both done in wood veneer in our Ohio cabinet shop are coming to scratch the itch for variety further up the line.

More soon about all that on our News page. The color subs are linked on the PB1-ISD page for any that care to look further. We hope to have final word on some good news finally about Plus subwoofer availability tomorrow too.

Ron

Daniel Mai

Stunt Coordinator
Great Ron, I've been waiting for weeks now. Is it posted on your site? Nevermind, I'll go check...

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
If you haven't already, check out this review. I mention this review becuase the PB-1 you're looking at is essentially the same as the 25-31Pci in the review except the PB-1 is tuned to 22hz instead of 25hz. You can't really go wrong either way though.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I will agree with Frank...you can't really go wrong either way.

I have the VTF-3, tight and accurate, as well as great for HT.

I have not heard an SVS sub, but they have a good following. Those new finishes look great!

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
Ron, great to see that SVS is offering their customers more choice. One quick question though. Will the legs really be a different color? The look of that stark contrast (particularly on the goldenrod and white ones) kind of reminds of guys who wear white sweat socks with a suit ;)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Sorry Ellen, I went for the contrasting look. Think of them as a striking neck tie on a slick business suit ;^)

The Tan Granite uses wood-stained brown dowels, all other are intentionally black.

All one color was considered of course, and if 51% of customers ask for that, I'll give in. 8^)

Ron

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
If you have to ask, no explanation I could offer would be sufficient :D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

So if a potential customer said, "I'll order one if the paint the legs the same color as the box." you'd say no? Somehow I find that hard to believe. Shouldn't be too hard to shoot 4 legs while doing the cabinet and base plate.

Oops, forgot to add, my favorite is the graystone! :)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
"Somehow I find that hard to believe."

What you would really find hard to believe is how many subs we're selling a month probably. ;^)

As per your observation...I wanted a pink Velodyne HGS 15" one time and the bastards wouldn't do that either to make a sale.

Go figure.

At some point we feel you have to draw the line between customer service and order handling efficiency.

With thousands of orders and countless e-mails and phone calls flowing through our offices sometimes a lost sale is easier to cope with than yet another supplier "one off" request that one of our crew has to track. The larger you get the more OEMs have to make small concessions with regards to requests for custom work (even for costmetic issues) and this is one of them. Not that I expect many lost sales because of optional color choice combinations.

Now, if you hear our customer support got contracted out to a call center in Bombay I'll feel like we're slipping a bit. Only sourcing two colors of baseplate dowels isn't going to rise to that level -- in my book anyway.

Ron

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

Well, a pink Velodyne requires a bit more effort than simply painting some dowels but I get the point. :)

I guess as a company grows you have to pull back on some of the one off jobs. I imagine you're a bit more accomodating for customers purchasing B4's, huh? ;)

I just can't wait for you guys to start doing custom veneers. While there may not be a huge market for it, I think you might get some interest from customers with "money is no object" type budgets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks