What's new

Svs Pb1-isd..... (1 Viewer)

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
I am moving into my newly built house in 4 weeks and need to starting ordering components for my HT room. I've been really interested in this SVS box sub for some time because of all the rave personal reviews. Here's my thing. My HT isn't going to be built for an audiophiles ears. I want great sound, but probably wouldn't be able to tell a huge difference between whats awesome and whats just pretty good. So....my center channel and surrounds are of the JBL studio series line (S-CenterII and 4 S36II's) and are going to cost me roughly $600 for all. This SVS sub with the color I want after shipping, is going to be $700! I want great bass response but am on the fence as to whether this sub is that much ahead of say the JBL S120PII, or the PB12. Is the SVS THAT much better or am I better off saving my cash?

BTW, the room the HT is going in is only 12x13 feet. Thanks!

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Having had their cylinders and boxes I have been very impressed with SVS performance. My feeling are you will be very satisfied with the SVS product. The service they provide and the performance of their subs is outstanding.

Scott

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
Don't sell your ability to tell a difference short. In a home theater, the sub is often the most noticible speaker, not always in a good way. A great sub will sound great in any system and clearly superior to a boomy, sloppy bad sub. In addition, as your system evolves, the sub will continue to do its job and will not need to be replaced. The SVS subs are never boomy if correctly placed and calibrated. My advice is to get one.

dale^g

Stunt Coordinator
i have a HK7200 and JBL Studios in my HT (S312ii's, SCENTER, S26ii's, S36ii's, and S120Pii) and before i could get everything unpacked i decided to ship the S120Pii back to where i got it and then i got a SVS PB2+. you can't go wrong with a SVS sub!

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Dale if your as happy with your PB2 as I am your made the right choice. I waited to get rid of my dual NHTs and compaired them the day my SVS arrived. No compairison even without a calibration or playing with the room setting. The SVS kicked them both down like they were toys. These were not the biggest NHT's made and were 5 years old but they were the biggest they make at the time. SVS rules!

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I have a SVS 25-31PCi and it is best investment I have ever made to my HT setup. I also have Studio series (S26), and a Marantz Reciever. My best friend is also a JBL fan, and also has studio series (S36) and he bought a S120PII and he is very please with it, but I took my SVS one day to his house for testing, and he was impressed, but he is saving money to get something better than me. But IMO the S120PII does a decent job, but the SVS is superior to it. I havent tried any SVS box just cylinders.

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
John,

My neighbor (who is also a new HT nut) has the exact same sub as you have. He came over the other day to ask me a question about FP and bass, so I fired up the system and played him few SACDs and DVD-A. Then I put in a few DVDs with some serious bass. He was ALL smiles while listening. I then made him bring his sub over to see what it could do, and the difference was....well, lets just say he left with his sub and a understanding how bass should sound and feel. I have dual SVS 25-31CS tuned @ 22hz with a Crest CPX2600 driving them.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, great response. I really do want the SVS and think I am going to suck up the cost. I think I will like it. Do me another favor and take a look at the setup I plan to buy and give me your opinion on it. Keep in mind I am going for 'pretty darn good' and not necessarily the best money can buy.

Samsung HLN467W (46" DLP)
Kenwood VR-7080 Receiver
Pioneer DV-563A
JBL S36II Fronts and Surrounds
JBL S-Center II Center Channel
SVS PB1-ISD Subwoofer

Notice I am trying for the 'Silver' look amongst components. Any suggestions on better components for the same money (and silver)? Thanks!

dale^g

Stunt Coordinator
i would personally skip the Kenwood receiver, not enough current drive to power a tooth brush!! besides, it would probably make the JBL's sound too bright. how much is your budget for a receiver? i'm not a Sony fan but the ES line has some balls from what i've read and i think you can get it in the silver color you want. if it were me i would go with a Harman Kardon, they match up GREAT with JBL. you can get a HK525 for $611 at onecall.com. don't skimp on a receiver when you're going to buy a DLP...you lucky dog!

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
My receiver budget is @$400. Do HK's come in Silver?

One more thing... I don't plan on routing any display devices through the Kenwood. My DVD player is being routed directly to the DLP, Xbox too. the 10hz or whatever that I have been hearing about on this receiver, is that for video only? If not, does that rate hurt audio quality noticeably? Thanks!

dale^g

Stunt Coordinator
not without some spray paint. don't jepordize sound quality for looks, but if you have to have a silver look then maybe you can scrape a few more bucks together and get a Sony ES (ouch...i can't beleive i said that). you really can't do your system justice with a $400 receiver, you're spending alot already...why not a few bucks more to complete the package. unless someone else has another suggestion on a SILVER receiver with some balls for $400 i don't know what to tell you. good luck though!!!

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
John Doh,

How high is the ceiling in your room, and is the room open to other areas, or closed off? In a 12 X 13 room with only 8' ceilings and all doors shut, the Kenwood should have all the power you're going to need at anything other than insane volumes. Only you will be able to judge if the sound of the JBLs and the Kenwood is pleasing to you.

As to the sub, I can only reiterate what others said here -- it does not take an audiophile or "golden ears" to hear and feel the difference of quality bass -- the PB1 ISD will make a noticeable difference over the JBL.

-Robb

Edit: be sure to post in the receivers and separates area about your receiver situation -- there are some seriously knowledgeable guys in there who don't come into the Speakers area nearly as often.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
John,

I'm not a fan of sony recievers, but I watch the new line of recievers and some are in silver, is worth checking if you want all in silver. But try to audition it before you buy it, because color or looks should be a secondary thing with quality/audio in first.

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
John,

If you want a silver receiver, then your options get slimmer.

Sony ES (New)
Panasonic SA-HE200 (Have had this receiver and it is superb)

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
The Panasonic has 130 wpc,

Dont know about the Kenwood, but I think it has way less.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
But we all know how those watts are advertised. My old pro grade yamaha with 80 per would put my buddies ES Sony receiver with 130 or 140 watts to shame. Cleaner and louder. I am not slamming Sony by any means as I own several of their products just letting you know that what one company tells you their watt are really does not mean much in the real world.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
i would personally skip the Kenwood receiver, not enough current drive to power a tooth brush!!
Any proof to back this up ?? When Sound and Vision tested a similar Kenwood receiver last year, it tested out at 92 watts per channel when 5 channels were driven. Pretty impressive for a receiver in the price range where the Kenwood falls.

dale^g

Stunt Coordinator
the only proof i have is what i've heard and that's good enough for me. i've A/B'd a denon 70wpc and a kenwood 130wpc and the kenwood sounded like it was being choked by a gorilla, absolutly no dynamic headroom what so ever! the denon blew it away with ease. i would rather have a quality receiver with less (so called) watts then a receiver with alot of watts and no nutts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks