What's new

SVS PB1-ISD...WILL i BE DISAPPOINTED? (1 Viewer)

Just bought the sub today and it will hopefully be here week after next. Talking to the helpful customer service with svs, he said that this sub might not be enough for my room. My room is roughly 3100 ft3. I couldnt swing the cash for the PB 2 so I went with the PB-1 anyways. Will i be happy with this decision? Is this enough bass for a novice/newbie HT owner?? Thanks guys.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Well its a start to see how you like it. You can always add a second later on... Thats what I did quite a few years ago. Got one NHT then added another. I just replaced both with the PB2+. My room is about the same size as yours with pretty high vaults on one side which creates some problems with loosing some of the bass I think. Placement is everthing though and you need to get yourself a long cord and start putting that thing in different corners and places and it is surprising the difference.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
if you expect the bass to shake your teeth and vibrate your body you might be dissapointed. it wont cleanly do reference level bass in your room. but then again, most people listen at 5-15 dB below ref level. it will give very accurate and powerful bass for that purpose, definately moreso than nearly any other sub priced likewise. my sub is about the same as yours (i have a 16-46 pci) in a pretty large room and i never need more headroom for volumes i listen at. my favorite demo of the sub is star wars episode 2 at the beggining when that silver ship flies over, and then the explosion after that. even 10 dB below ref level the whole room shakes. i have tried it near ref level and the sub still doesnt sound distorted. although its hard to tell when everything is so damn loud :)

forgot to add that you should get a radio shack spl meter and test disc if you dont have them. theres no way to tell if your sub is playing at the right volume without them. after the meter reads the sub as being even as the other channel, then the sub is 3dB above flat because of the spl meter's inaccuracy at low frequency. so if you want a flat calibration you need to find where the sub is even with the other channel then turn it down 3 dB.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
avia and VE are the two main discs and are both good. sound and vision home theater tune-up is a cheaper $20 and is just as good for most people. it's made by ovation software, who makes avia disc, and has audio and video calibration just like the other two. It also comes with a blue filter to set the color and tint controls.

Kip Lackey

Stunt Coordinator
Keir is exactly right. I have 3500 cubic feet and that scene in Episode 2 is downright scary on my 20-39 PCi. I don't think you'll be disappointed. You can always buy another later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks