What's new

SVS PB1-ISD vs Def Tech Super Cube II (1 Viewer)

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All, I haven't posted for a while (i know it sounds crazy, but money has been going to things other than HT)

the SVS is $599.
I can get the DefTech for $650.

Room is fully enclosed theater 13 x 15.
Ceiling slopes from 7 foot front to 9 foot center and back down to 7 feet in the back.
1 riser in the back for second row seating, decoupled wall sound insulated.

-----
/
|_____|

Any thoughts?

SuperCube II Specifications:
Dimensions:12" W x 12" D x 12.5" H Frequency Response: 14Hz - 200Hz Driver Complement: One 8" long-throw polymer subwoofer coupled to two - 8" pressure-driven infrasonic bass radiators. Amplifier: 1250 watts Digitally-Coupled Class D Low-Level High Pass: 40Hz - 150Hz (variable) 12dB per octave Speaker Level High Pass: 80 Hz (6 dB per octave) Low Level Low Pass Filter: 24dB/octave continuously adjustable variable (40-150 Hz) plus Unfiltered LFE direct coupled input. Phase Control: 0 degrees - 180 degrees (continuously variable) Finish: Piano Black Gloss with a Black Cloth Wraparound Grille Weight: 38 lbs. Suggested Retail: $899 ea. ($650).

Custom US-built SVS long-throw 12" woofer
SVS designed, full-featured 320 watt BASH (R) digital switching amp
Built-in, flush-mount amp configuration (220v. version available)
Computer Assisted Design (CAD) 1" walled enclosure
Down-firing woofer with distinctive SVS integrated base-plate
Compliant floor mounts, ultra low center of gravity
Precision tuned, patented 4" high-flow flared porting (in and out).
CNC'd and assembled in USA
Extra heavy-duty removable 8 foot power cord
Industry leading advanced plural component polyurethane finish.
22Hz tuning point (+/- 3 dB 22 Hz-100 Hz or better in nearly any room)
Size: 18" wide x 21" high x 20" deep. Weight: 78 pounds

WayneO

Supporting Actor
From what I've gathered around the various forums is that the SCII claim of 14hz is a complete sham and that it cannot go into the mid-20's even without running out of gas. It might be a nice little sub for music listening......I know the SVS will go low and do it accurately.

Joseph_ P

Stunt Coordinator
i wouldn't believe anything that def-tech states about their subwoofers without first hearing it in person,
i used to be the owner of a def-tech pf15+(bought it based on magazine reviews and tech specs).WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP THAT SUB WAS!!!!!!!!.
Then i bought an SVS sub and got to hear and feel what real bass should be like!!! YEAH BABY!!!!! i can't tell you how fast that def -tech got thrown out of the house. LOL.
I would go with the SVS if i were you.:emoji_thumbsup:
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PURCHASE.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The DT SC II faired badly in Nousaine's standardized testing.

http://members.cox.net/frankcarter/T...Sub%20Data.htm

(spreadsheet courtesy of Fabulous Frank Carter)

Without delving too deeply into what the numbers mean, it cannot generate significant sound pressure levels at low frequencies without badly distorting.

The SVS, OTOH will provide much cleaner and louder output, deeper extension, and a flatter frequency response. There will really be no comparison between these two subs - the SVS is far and away the superior unit, and for less money.

This review is for the 25-31PCi, but the PB1-ISD is functionally the performance twin of the 25-31 PCi, so JJ's comments can also be applied to the PB1-ISD without qualification. In fact if you want to split hairs, the ISD will go a bit deeper than the 25-31 PCi.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...r-12-2002.html

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I wasted money over the last few years going with dual NHT subs and also Def. Tech. Then I finally got wise or should I say something just told me I had to try this SVS everyone was raving about. Sure glad I did and sure glad I finally got one. Make the others sound like crap and for alot less money. I could have saved several thousand dollars had I done the SVS in the first place.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I have a def tech sub. It's a 15 inch, cant remember the model number, but it says it goes to 14 hz. I love it. It goes LOW and plays pretty loud. A little boomy, but not bad. retail was like 800, but I paid 700 from soundtrack on sale. Sounds good to me.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I used to think I had it good running a 8" Kenwood and then the WM-40 and then the dual Velo's and then the AV15 and then/ ok I'll stop.

One thing is for certain though. If you want high/flat SPL in the lower freqs? Something to be experienced. SVS is one very good option. About the best imo considering performance for the $$.

terence

Supporting Actor
Steve my man, you are like the those cigarettes..... "You have come a long way baby!" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks