SVS PB1-ISD ($600) vs. SVS PC20-39PCi ($600)?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kenneth Harden, May 19, 2004.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

OK, those two subs are my final choices.

I couldn't care less which one I had. They are the same price, and I have room for either, and the 'looks' of each are equal in my eyes, thought I would choose the box if all else was 100% equal.

In terms of the specs, which one is 'better' than the other, as far as output or extension? The box is tuned to 22 Hz. while the tube is 20 Hz. - so no difference. What about overall output?

I can't decide - help me!

2. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Good post, I have been wondering the same thing!

3. Michael Brand

I have a 20-39 PC+, and while I have not directly compared it to an SVS box sub, many I have chatted with say;

- The cylinders are easier to move, and seem to be easier to locate properly for the best sound in a room, due to the sound characteristics (higher top port) of the cylinder.

- Many, including SVS say that the cylinders generally have an edge in the output of the lower (under 25 hz) frequencies.

That said, I think that the PB2 (dual driver box) models (ISD and +) are great values if you want the maximum impact and slam for the money. If you really want to hit the sub 20 hz frequencies hard, an Ultra cylinder or dual cylinders are the way to go.

4. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Well my vote would be 20-39PCI, because i love extention down to as much as i can get. The output would not be that noticable (higher FR) since the tunes are so close. The 20-39 will extend a few hz lower than the PB1-ISD with room gain (corner loaded) now you will feel the difference more so than hearing the difference between the two subs.

It's going to boil down to your taste, and listing habits. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. Kenneth Harden

So a cylinder is probably the best choice?

Please, keep feeding me ideas!

By this line from the SVS site, on the PB1-ISD page:

"Only our own cylinder subs can challenge the price/performance ratio provided by the PB1-ISD."

I got the implication that the same-priced cylinders gave superior (but not signifigantly more) preformance, the the box was a compromise for people who didn't want a cylinder.

I think the middle sub (20-39) is a good balance, I pick up 5 more Hz., but do not loose a lot of output.

6. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Yes it is a great balance, SVS's most popular cylinder size because of that. Yes you will loose top end output, but i doubt you hear due to both being tune so close. Now if the the tune was 25hz vs 20hz, you will notice the drop in SPL 25hz & above.

7. Greg->G

Greg->G Agent

I actually asked Tom at SVS that same question via email, and this is what he said:

8. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I'd go with the box based on my comparison of a 20-39PC+ to a PB2+, same drivers, thought the box sounded "tighter". Kinda felt I could "tell" the tube was a tube...........however that helps.

9. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

i hope u realize u are comparing two + woofers versus one with regards to the pb2+ vs 20-39PC+. this may play some factor in your comparison. i would say a fairer comparison would be the PC+ vs the PB1+... this way, we can see (er, hear) which of the two is tighter.

10. johnny..bon

johnny..bon Second Unit

John
    It depends on your room size. I have a small room (15x15x9).
    I tried a 25-31PCI tuned to 22Hz and it was too loud at 30-50Hz and I felt it didn't go low enough for my taste. I then exchanged it for a 20-39 PCI tuned to 17Hz and the bump at 30-50Hz dissappeared and it goes really low to suit my taste.

11. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I understand that of course and I observed this at average listening volumes, not meant as a comparison at higher volumes. But main point is that I think PC+ "sounded like a driver in a big tube", a little hard to put into words but noticeable. Some say a tube will/should not "color" the sound as much as a box might, I didn't find that true in my observations. PB1 enclosure may be different............

12. Kenneth Harden

johnney:

My room is 13 X 13.5 X 9 feet, so from what you are saying, I will probably want to stay away from the 25 Hz. model - makes sence to me!

13. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

Wow, im just about to buy a 22-31PCi for my 10x10 room, so should I stay away from it? I can get the 20-31PCi, but I didn't think it was nessasary.

Does anyone know if the PB1-ISD is just as loud at 30-50Hz as the "22-31PCi"?

14. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I just went through a huge amount of searching, emailing SVS, and so on to select my sub (decided on a 20-39 PC+.) Pretty much the box / cylinders are identical at SVS, pick the style that suites your tastes and enjoy.

The closest (and almost exact) match-up to the PB1-ISD would be the 25-31 PCi cylinder, I don't know if you could tell them apart if you listened all day long. The 25-31 PCi is $50 cheaper though due to less materials to construct (to look at it), but sonically the same as PB1-ISD.

By comparison the 20-39 PCi will go a little lower in Hz, but you will also lose a little "punch" in the bass. This has nothing to do with the quality of sub, it's just the most basic trade-off that all SVS subs have to endure.

I would say if you are completely ambiguous on how the sub looks, get the 20-39 PCi. It will hit those lows you like and typically you can turn up the gain a little bit to recapture that lost "punch" of bass. I think my 20-39 PC+ is set somewhere between 1/2 to 2/3 gain and it just pumps out the LFE.

Good luck...

PS - Nathan, I think you're mixing up the names a little bit. There's a 25-31 model and a 20-39 model, which one are you talking about? [​IMG]

15. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

There is indeed a "22-31PCi". It is essentially a 25-31PCi with the longer 20-39PCi 15" vent installed. The resulting tune point is 22 Hz, hence the moniker "22-31PCi". This is a free mod from SVS at the time of order.

The deeper the sub is tuned, the harder the woofer has to work above the tune point. Since excursion increases significantly as the frequency drops, (at least until the resonator takes over), a deeper tuned sub will reach maximum excursion of the woofer at a lower overall volume than a higher tuned sub.

That's why the 25-31PCi can play louder >23-24 Hz than can a 16-46PCi. Of course the 16-46 PCi stays linear to a much deeper frequency, but the overall maximum playback volume before the woofer bottoms out will be considerably higher for the 25-31PCi in the more common bass ranges.

16. Kenneth Harden

I think the 20-39PCi is my best bet.

I have $1k in checks to deposit, my tax refund check, etc., and I might pull the trigger.

If I can sell my JBL sub (4648A-8), that will help signifigantly.

17. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

On that room size, you might want to consider the 16-46PCi if you don't mind spending the extra $50 and cylinder size is not an issue. I don't think you will have any problems with producing enough spl. Or get the 20-39PCi tuned lower. Something you might want to talk with Tom before you make your final decision.

18. Kenneth Harden

Here is what he said:

---------------------

Hi Kenneth,

In that size of a room, the 25-31PC+ should be more than enough..[​IMG] I’d start out in 20hz mode. This would give you extension down to the 16-18hz range and clean output capabilities in the 115-118dB range. The 25-31PCi($549) will give you extension to 20hz and clean output capabilities around 112-115dB too…so that should definitely be considered too.

EDITED OUT SOMETHING

Tom V.
    SVS

-------------------

I think the 20-39PCi would give my responce in the upper teens, and, what 110-113dB? I will have my Klipsch's to cover everything above 40 Hz. (rated at 37 Hz.) or so, so I just need the lowest part, and not something to pickup all the bass for satellites.

19. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

I sent my question to SVS along with my room layout, I sent it to the [email protected], should I have sent it to another adress?

20. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter