SVS PB NSD/2 VS 25-31+

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by steveGamble, May 14, 2006.

1. steveGamble

steveGamble Stunt Coordinator

Deciding between these two subs, I only heard of SVS 2 weeks ago, and decided they were the way to go, to replace my Velodynr CHT 10.

Now deciding which of these two , will best perform...SLAM ! in my home theater room , 11.5'(W) x 7.5'(High) x 21'(long) room. totaly sealed, other than one small air intake and one small heat/ac vent.
    100% movies only, with a polk audio RTi 8 floor speakers, CSi 5 center x2 , and RTi 6 ,(x 4) Rear surrounds.. and, a 7.1 Yamaha 5890, 120 wt/ch..

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Am I correct in assuming the PB12 NSD/2? This is a bit more than a PC+, and has dual drivers. I'm not that familiar with how that would stack up, you may want to shoot a quick email to SVS, but if you're looking to pure output, I'd expect the PB12 to have an edge.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Given the size of your room and the fact that it's completely sealed, I would think that either one would do fine.

If it were me I would probably go with the NSD/2 and plug one port and run it in 20Hz mode.

4. douglas-b

douglas-b Stunt Coordinator

Douglas Berry
    I just bought the 20-39PCi and my room is about a foot longer with 9 foot ceilings and that thing knocks the crap outta me.

5. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I think I'd consider the 20-39 Plus if the room is sealed, and run it in 20 hz mode. I've got the PB-12 NSD/v in a large open area and I really like it, a friend of mine has a PB-12 ISD/2 in a little larger open area and it rocks. If I had a sealed off room I'd go with the 20-39 Plus though when looking at the two you are considering.

6. steveGamble

Thanks for your input,, much appreciated, ya the room is a bit smallish, and sealed up pretty tight, I have not moved my equip in yet. It is a new room, just built, all 6 sides insulated.
    I have very little experience with subs other than th CHT 10 velodyne, which never impressed me.
    I like the 30 - 70 hz mid bass, impact kinda feel, car engines, shot gun blasts, action orientded movie stuff. It will all be a bit new to me , so I want to make sure I get the right Sub.
    Of course my wife is giving me a hard time about going overboard.
    But you guys on here seem to know, what the right moves are...

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The Plus line will be a HUGE step up from the CHT. Even the regular PB and PCi subs will be a big step up from it, but if you go with a Plus or a NSD/2 you won't be considering any sub upgrades for a long time [​IMG]

8. steveGamble

LOL.....I love it, , HA....that's what I'm lookin' for. I am leaning toward the cylinder, I chose the 25-31+ over the 20-39+ , because the 20-39 gives up a bit of mid bass "slam" impact, I read on the SVS site.
    I'd never miss the low extention? I think?(who knows) ....But I wouldn't mind feeling a bit of a hammer to the chest kind of impact, I keep reading about.
    That's why I built a sealed room, in my basement....so my sub could beat up on me...
    If you like your cylinder, I think I may lean that way. The big box sub cost 4 times as much to ship as well... But I don't want to be dissapointed, and have to exchange it. big hassle.

9. steveGamble

Ya my cht 10 , was the best that future shop had . Now I realize, I don't have to buy everything from futureshop, So decided to look on line.
    SVS..very popular for Home Theater... so which one for me.
    I really just want one to give me a good thump in the chest , when that shotgun goes off, or that big car crash, really feel the mid bass, without the HUGE distortion I get now at very low volume, (I said from the beginning I think my sub is defective? 18mos old now) so......I am leaning towards the PLUS cylinder 25-31 for mid bass PUNCH. I have no experience with sub better the the cht 10, thats the best one I ever heard. I don't get out much, I live on a farm...But hey no neighbors.

10. steveGamble

Just ordered the 25-31 pc + (with Erik)
    I'll give you some feed back as soon as it arrives.
    Thanks for you input. :>)

11. Ron Temple

Ron Temple Stunt Coordinator

Well I think you've sold yourself. I have the 20-39+ in native tune. I don't find it lacking in slam, but the 25-31+ should have more. What I do have is a ton of room gain in the lower octaves, which can make the walls sweat. Anyway, the Plus subs are more articulate and the new drivers are supposed to deliver the higher octaves better. Enjoy.

12. steveGamble

yes..

You mention room gain, I thought to really pump out slam, I'd need 2 drivers and a lot of amp power, even in a sealed room.
    especaily with a basement. The floor won't move like the living room would.
    I do listen sometimes at -20db below reference...once in a while push to -15 for a bit.
    On my Yamaha 5890. But many of you insist I will really feel it, I think I am in for a pleasent surprise when it arrives.
    I think my first sub was not working properly.
    This system will also be better calibrated, with the SPL meter and the Avia dvd SVS is sending.
    Just gotta sit and wait now.. :>)

13. Ron Temple

Ron Temple Stunt Coordinator

Concrete floors don't activate much, but I don't find it lacking (I'm in a concrete family room). I did turn up the gain a bit and run about +5 over the mains. I'm limited to placement in the front left corner behind my entertainment center. I'm about +14 from 36hz down to 18hz, usable to 16hz. This doesn't detract from the 40hz up. It's just there for the really low stuff.

Experiment with your setup. I'm sure you'll like it.