svs pb-10 compared to a 12" Titanic MKII in an EBS enclosure ...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jason Hammerly, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Would the output be similar with a 250 watt plate amp on the Titanic in the EBS 142.5 Liter enclosure. I thought about getting the PB-10, but I have the Titanic (and it's a solid sub) and the 250 watt plate amp in my basement begging to be put into an enclosure. Any thoughts on comparable performance? Thanks guys.

Jason

2. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

it might have close if not equal VD. and since its in an EBS enclosure with plenty of power it should get loud and low. Are you sure that a 142 l enclosure will give you an EBS response though? i thought that was the shiva EBS enclosure?

Whatever you do, those are two tried and true favourites of the DIY community so theres not much fear of going wrong. And i think that it should pretty much equal the pb10.

3. Jason Hammerly

From past research, I think you can substitute the Titanic MKII for the Shiva. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I may be. If it's not, can someone clue me in on the necessary chages to the enclosure size or port length. thanks

Jason

4. Jason Dalton

Jason Dalton Stunt Coordinator

I would think the Titanic 12 would have a good bit more Vd than the PB10. I'm pretty sure SVS isn't putting subs with 20+ mm Xmax in their low end subs.

5. fred garvin

fred garvin Agent

the dayton 12" DVC is very close specs wise to the Shiva, and is arguably perfectly swapable for the purposes of cabinet design but i'm pretty sure that titanic does not fall into that category, admitedly i could be wrong, but it warrants some research. I would think the DIY would dig about as deep, but be higher in spl than the PB10, but again, i'm not an expert. if your going the DIY route, the extra research to make sure your building the right cabinet for your needs and the driver's specs is worth it. despite owning the dayton 12" dvc, i still paid for a shiva to put in my 142.5L EBS box, it made me feel more comfortable. and i must say it sounds friggin fantastic.

6. fred garvin

fred garvin Agent

i just remeberred that parts express used to sell an enclosure kit for the titanic. i believe 3 cu Ft sealed. i've been told that with the 250 W plate amp and that cab, you just couldnt go wrong (well balance for music and movies). they dont sell that cabinet kit anymore, but if you call them, i'm sure they can find plans to send you.

7. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

Well the driver in the PB10 is made by TC, and its got a $@%*load of stroke, that much i know. and the titanic is a BIGGER driver than the shiva, more xmax I believe. but its pretty close anyway.

8. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

The 12" Titanic has around 480mm^2 of cone area and an xmax of 18mm. That puts the total displacement capability of the Titanic right around 1.75 liters of displacement. An average 10" driver has somewhere in the neighborhood of 300mm^2 of cone area. For the 10" SVS driver to equal the same displacement as the titanic it would have to have an xmax of 29mm. I would have to see a dumax sheet to believe that driver has that kind of throw.

9. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Since you've got driver and amp, that's certainly worth building regardless of comparisons. According to Unibox, the extension is about the same as the PB10 (-3dB @ 20Hz)and you should see more output than the 10" sub/3" port. Make sure you use a flared 4" Precision Port you can get from PE. In 142 liters, you can leave it at the full length for an 18Hz Fb.

[​IMG]

10. Jason Hammerly

Sweet ... thanks for the advice guys. I just need to decide if I want to do the big vented enclosure or the 85 liter sealed enclosure. Thanks for the specifics Jack.

Jason

11. Brent_S

Brent_S Second Unit

Jason,

before you start building, are you saying you have a 12" Mk2 Titanic? The closest I see you identifying your version is asking if the Mk2 is a drop-in replacement for the Shiva. As such, Jack modelled the 12" Titanic MK2 for you. However, PE also offered a 10" Mk2. And here are 10", 12" and 15" Mk3 versions. The three generations model quite differently.

The original Titanic was only offered as a 12". If I remember correctly, it was very similar to the NHT 1259. The 1259 was not recommended for ported enclosures by its designer, Ken Kantor, even though it appeared to model well in them...not sure if that applied to the Titanic Mk1.

Brent

12. Jason Hammerly

yea ... I have the 12" MKII. Still deciding if I want to go sealed or ported. I thought maybe the EBS ported or about 3 cubic ft sealed. Any other opinions? thanks

Jason

13. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

'Cus I'm so cool, I ran the 85L sealed vs. 142Lported options for you with 250 watts. You can see the huge advantage the ported has in low-end output and efficiency:

[​IMG]
    There are, of course, myriad options for ported aligments and sealed Qtc's other than these. I only point this out to confuse you.

BTW, "EBS" (Extended Bass Shelf) refers to a specific response shape and will be a different alignment (box size and tuning) for different drivers. It won't always be the case that EBS is 142L/18Hz, that's what Adire calls it for Shiva, but in this case it's pretty close.

14. Jason Hammerly

Thanks Jack. You are the "coolest"! I think I'll end up going for the 142 L ported. Now, if I can only find the time to do it. [​IMG]