1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SVS PB-10 and DVE

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Daman, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Hi Everyone,
    Finally got the PB10 today afternoon after a lot of wait. Had to help the UPS guy carry it into the house.The thing is huge compared to the Polk i had, i can now only imagine how huge the Ultras would be [​IMG] Hooked it up and calibrated it using DVE today evening. The bass coming was very clean and distortion free but i wasnt "blown away" as i was probably expecting. I fiddled a bit more and then wrote a mail to Ron from SvS to clarify. I think his reply would come very useful to all of us owning DVE's so i thought itll be good to share it here.Ron basically mentioned that the DVE test tone might be 13dB too hot, meaning that i would have to compensate by turning up the sub's level by 13dB.. I will sit down tomorrow evening and tweak the system again, i already bumped up the volume a little on the sub just to see and the whole house was literally moving on the Nemo- Darla scene! PB10 rocks!!"

Thanks a lot
    Daman

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

DVE is mastered exactly 10 dB too hot in the LFE channel. JKP forgot to compensate for the fact that every pre/pro boosts the LFE channel 10 dB on play back.

With a sub that digs deep, DVE ends up appearing anywhere from 13-16 dB hot in-room, due to room gain because the DVE sub calibration tone extends strong down to 15 Hz. In comparison Avia is sharply truncated at 40 Hz and thusly avoids room gain error.

So in a moderate size room with room gain starting below about 30 Hz, and a sub like the PB10-ISD, Ron's advice is pretty much spot-on: Calibrate about 13 dB hot with DVE and that will get you in the ballpark. Another good way is to compare to the AVR test tones, which (while not perfect) are generally within 1-2 dB of Avia.

3. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Wow [​IMG] thanks for that advice Ed, i already have browsed through your numerous helpful posts on sub calibration and found them very useful. Ill check out recievers test tones as well and compare them with the 13dB gain you mentioned and see what comes. Will post up my findings after im done.
    One question for you Ed, would you recommend keeping the phase set at 0 as you mentioned in one of your posts or should i try a bass sweep(say from Godzillas menu) as mentioned in the SvS manual to set the phase?

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Setting phase strictly by ear is tough.

I try to set phase to obtain the smoothest FR across the mains-sub transition, and also to minimize any low spots in the curve.

I would advise burning some 1/12 octave sines onto a CD and plotting the FR at the listening position at a few different phase settings. Try 0/180 first, and then experiment with 45/90/135.

Use the RS meter correction factors, and only play the sines at say 80 dB (corrected); there is no reason to go louder. You can find sines at the snapbug website.

I use software like TrueRTA and ETF-5, which are faster and easier to use than manual plotting. I can zip through and save FR sweeps for 5 different phase settings in about 3 minutes.

The programs aren't really too hard to use once you get past the learning curve and the price isn't too bad. It's something I see more people turning too as a more user friendly and faster alternative to manual plotting.