SVS, Parts Express amp and Denon 1802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sam_h, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Sam_h

Sam_h Auditioning

I have an svs hooked up to a parts express 250W plate amp. The plate amp has a bass boost. My denon 1802 receiver seems to have a boost of its own for each channel. If my sub amp has a 3db boost would a boost of -3db on the receiver for that channel make it appear as though there is no boost?

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If I'm right I think you are talking about the channel level settings on the receiver. If that is the case, the receiver will take the entire frequency range the sub recieves down 3dB. The boost on the plate amp is centered around the mid 30hz range. So above 40hz there isn't any boost from the plate amp. The boost on the plate amp is meant to make up for subs that drop off quickly below 30hz, it tries to prop this up at the expense of peak level in the above 30hz range. The SVS has no problem below 30hz.

Setting the receiver down 3dB will not counteract the boost. To reiterate, the plate amp boost is only on mid 30hz and below frequencies, above that it does nothing. The channel level setting on the receiver takes the entire frequency range down 3dB.

I suggest you go to the PartsExpress forum and read about disabling the boost on that plate amp, which I highly recommend you do if you plan to pair it with a SVS.

3. SalMaglie

SalMaglie Stunt Coordinator

I defeated the bass boost on the PE 250w plate amp when I built my Shiva sub. Parts Express will send you the 2 resistors for free, or at least they did when I e-mailed them. It's a simple soldering operation to change them out. All you need is an ~25w soldering iron, some kind of desoldering tool(I used one of those squeeze bulbs), and some soldering wire. You can get everything you need at Radio Shack.