What's new

SVS & Parametric EQ ? (1 Viewer)

Shannon S.

Stunt Coordinator
I am likely going to Purchase a PB12 plus this summer; I was wondering if the parametric EQ is worth the extra money. To tell the truth, I am not even sure how to use one. Do I use test tones and an SPL meter? I can buy the basic version without the EQ or wood finishes for $100.00 less. Thanks.

MikeNg

Second Unit
I think it's worth getting an EQ for your SVS. There might be a way you can assess whether you'll greatly benefit from an EQ. Most rooms have issues that should be dialed out. So chances are that you'll need one regardless.

I got one for my PB12-ISD/2 and noticed a big difference in performance when I initially positioned the sub and proceeded to take measurements. After some amount of tweaking I discovered that my FR improved greatly by re-orienting the sub (removed the base plate and pointed the drivers at a wall), and didn't need the EQ as much as I had first thought. I still use the PEQ though.

For $100 I think it's worth having just in case. It can only help. If you really want to hold on to that bill you can get the cheaper one and assess whether you need a PEQ after you get ths sub in place. You'll probably end up spending more than $100 for the outboard PEQ, but it'll have more filters to use.

Mike

ScottCarr

Second Unit
I would not worry about the onboard PEQ. you can always get a BFD or ART351 equalizer. The onboard PEQ is pretty good but a BFD or ART351 can provide corrections across the spectrum

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks