What's new

SVS owners......... (1 Viewer)

Blkout

Agent
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and buy one of theses top notch subs, I know there have been a million threads already on this subject, but I would like everyone's last opinions before I place my order, who knows, maybe someone's opinion has changed since they posted in previous thread.

Basically, I'm going with the PC-Plus series, but which would you choose for 90% HT use and 10% music use? I don't want anything boomy, which it doesn't sound like these subs are and I do want it to blend well with my other speakers.

25-31 or 20-39? I'm leaning towards the 20-39 but I just don't want a sub that doesn't do well with music because its tuned too low. Hopefully this is not the case with the 20-39. Is the extra output up top worth it with the 25-31 or is it really not that noticable?

Thanks. :)

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also 90/10 in favor of movies. I don't know about you, but if I got the 25, I'd always be wondering if I was missing out on some good effects that were playing below the 25HZ mark. So go with the 20, you'll sleep better nights! :)

I went through all the same thoughts sometime back, but in my case I finally ended up with two PC-Ultras!

Let us know what you finally do.

- Bill

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I have the PB2-ISD now, but I first owned a PCi25-31, followed by a PCi20-39. I preferred the 25-31 for the sheer impact it was able to provide during movies. That proved to be more impressive to me than being able to go a little lower. I don't think you can go wrong with either one, though :)

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a 50/50 guy (music/movie wise)

I'm pulling the trigger in 10 minutes and have been ALL OVER the web looking at all the forums and opinions I can find.

The one thing I have found is that a few people found that the 25/31 were outstanding for music - HOWEVER - 20-39s went just a tad lower for the movies that needed to go that low.

HOWEVER - with that said (remember - i'm just telling you what I READ) very few movies GO that low in the 1st place.

HOWEVER - with that said - if you buy the 25-31s will you always be wondering? Will it always be in the back of you mind?? What if?

I'm going with the 20-39 and screw the neighbors lol

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

This quote is off-base, to put it mildly. The 25-31 cylinder has a flat frequency response to 25 Hz OUTSIDE, ground plane at 2 meters.

Since SVS doesn't rely on room gain as a crutch to meet rated extension, the 25-31 will get to 25 Hz flat in any size room. In a mid-size room (where room gain might start occuring around 30 Hz), it will actually display a rising response down low. This means strong extension to 20-21 Hz in many cases.

The 20-39 enclosure will be flat to 20 Hz outside ground plane, and accordingly will dig strong to 16-17 Hz in most mid size rooms.

Either sub will kick ass for HT, but with ultra deep content in DVDs becoming very common these days, my choice for a 90/10 split would be the 20-39PC+. You can even tune it to 16 Hz (with two ports still open), and trawl at 12-13 Hz in most mid-size rooms. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
All I gotta say is I emailed Ron (SVS guy) on Monday morning about placement and 1/2 hour later got a nice response.

Awesome Cust Service.

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
What is Ron's e-mail address. I have e-mailed Tech support at SVS concerning room size and the most appropriate model and after 4 or 5 days I've gotten no response.

John

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
JohnEF,

Just [email protected]

We pretty much share e-mails on basic recommendations like yours so don't blame Tech Support.

We've had a few notes get blocked for sure lately (we're not sure why) and now and again they just get dropped cuz of a missing letter or something.

Send it to the above and you'll get an answer come hell or high water.

Ron

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
25-31 or 20-39? I'm leaning towards the 20-39 but I just don't want a sub that doesn't do well with music because its tuned too low. Hopefully this is not the case with the 20-39. Is the extra output up top worth it with the 25-31 or is it really not that noticable?
__________________________________________________ ___

If it were my decision, I would go with the 20-39+ for all the reasons Ed/bill state. I have ran three 25-31CS+'s for quite some time and have found them top notch and a great all-round sub. I had good extension down to 22-23 and I'm in a leaky HT. After having the PC-Ultra in the house for a month,(not my first 20 Hz sub) I find the 20 Hz tune more agreeable with most movies. I'm very close to 100% movies but do listen to a little music. There is more sonic impact in most movies today with the 20 Hz tune. I Notice a big difference in the STAR WARS series, DAREDEVIL,MATRIX and so-on.

Another good option is the 2+, as it can be tuned to 20 Hz. A guy has a little more headroom with the 2+ so tuning it down to 20 for most movies and then back up to 25 for music might be viable if it's your preference? If the box style is out and budget constraints just don't allow then discard.

Ed you have ran the PB2+ and the 20-39PC+. Do you have any thoughts on what sounds better> PB2+ tuned to 20 versus the 20-39PC+?. I'm kind of thinking your going to say the 20-39+?????

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
JohnEF,

We did some digging and found your note stuck in a bit bucket we created to catch notes sent wrong domains that are close to ours.

You wrote to "[email protected]" That missing "s" at the end (it's "svsubwoofers") can slow things down considerably.

Anyway, we pulled your note from a certian hell of lost bit's, and I'm working on it now.

Ron

Blkout

Agent
Already ordered the PC-Plus 20-39, got my tracking number today, its on its way to me as we speak. :)

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
Ron:

I did get my response. Thanks. For purposes of a subwoofer is my room of 15 by 21 by 8 considered medium? When does large come in (over 3,000 cubic feet?). I had read a review of the ultra and would this be overkill?

John

The PC Ultra would work well in a room that size. Is it overkill....maybe, depends on how you like your bass and your listening habits in movies.
I am currently running a PC Ultra and PC+ 16-46 in a room 12 x 11 x 8 and love the feel of the dual subs. The extra intensity that you get is an incredible feeling.
If you can afford it, go with the PC Ultra, the TV 12 driver is amazing.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

They sound damn near identical up to the clean limits of the cylinder, really.

Dual colocated 20-39PC+ would certainly outperform a single PB2+ in the 20 Hz tune, especially in the 18-22 Hz region, where the combined internal volume and port area advantage of the duals will manifest itself the most. Higher up in the spectrum, things would be closer.

Blkout

Agent
Damn if I didn't order my sub to the wrong address, I guess I didn't notice, but I transposed my address number, it was supposed to be 89 and I had it shipped to 98. This sucks, I'm going to have to walk down the street and tell my neighbors to tell the UPS mam that the address was a mistake. That's what I get for ordering so late at night, the eyes play tricks on a man. :angry:

Gordon Groff

Second Unit

Hi JohnEF!
Overkill is certainly relative. I ended up with PAIR of stacked Ultras in my 12x20x7' room. Pushing them with a Crown 2K amp (1k/sub). Love it! Pictured Here

Gordon

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I am currently running a PC Ultra and PC+ 16-46 in a room 12 x 11 x 8 and love the feel of the dual subs. The extra intensity that you get is an incredible feeling.
__________________________________________________ ___

No doubt about it. Cant say I know what to equate that with but you definitely have some feel going there.;) Maybe something like taking off in the space shuttle?

>>>They sound damn near identical up to the clean limits of the cylinder, really.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

A PB2+ will have the edge over a 20-39PC+ when both are set to 20 Hz mode. From about 16-25 Hz it would be close, but the PB2+ will still have an edge. Above 25 Hz, the advantage grows to about 5 dB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks