SVS Owners Help Me Decide!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hugh Scrivener, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Hugh Scrivener

Hugh Scrivener Stunt Coordinator

I've recently stuck a deal with 'THE EMPIRE" that will/should enable me to purchase an SVS...now I need help deciding.
    Requirements: remember the old Memorex commercial/poster with the guy sitting in front of the speaker? I WANT THAT!
    I'm in a large room with a ceiling that slopes from 8ft to almost 12 in the center of the room. (A 'great' room, ,basically kitchen,dr, and lr all in one.) I will be placing the sub in the front left corner of the theater area, where the ceiling is 8ft. And the main seating area at a distance of 14+/- ft.
    I'd like to start with a single...significant other factor. Although size would be no problem. Just don't want to push my luck[​IMG] .
    I'm leaning towards the 16-46 CS-Plus.
    Anyone out there with similar living conditions...the room, not the roomie, with an SVS that can help guide the neophyte? ANY and ALL help will be of great help.
    p.s.- I found the HTF through the SVS site so I already know they're the best, so only SVS suggestions please...time to 'think out of the box' so to speak!!

2. Doug BW

Doug BW Stunt Coordinator

First of all, if you're going to buy a subwoofer, there's really only one bad choice when it comes to SVS, and that's to choose not to get one. Happily, you've crossed that option off your list. [​IMG]
    I am a very happy owner of a CS+ 16-46, but my room is in the 2300 cubic foot range, much smaller than the space you need to fill. And I do think a lot about getting a second one, although there are a lot of other areas of my HT that need attention (i.e. $$$s) first.
    My concern for you is that you're after the "Memorex" effect, and of the three sizes of CS-Plus, the 16-46 is probably the least capable of shaking the fillings out of your teeth. It's claim to fame is that it goes the deepest frequecy-wise of the three, but in doing so loses a little bit in terms of max SPLs in most of the rest of the frequency range. For sheer power, you may be happier at the other end of the line with the 25-31. Remember, you have a very large room to fill with sound, so you may need all the SPLs the 25-31 can deliver.
    You should probably send an email to Tom at SVS letting him know the cubic footage of your room, what you like to listen to (music and/or movies), how loud (compared to reference level) and whether you like to listen to music that goes especially low (i.e., pipe organs). He'll give the best advice on what will or won't "do it" for you.
    So, don't you just love that "I'm going to buy an SVS" feeling? [​IMG]

3. Kurt Kelson

Kurt Kelson Extra

Reminds me of the current Dell ad campaign:
    "Dude, you're gettin' an SVS!!!" [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Marc S Kessler

Marc S Kessler Stunt Coordinator

OK here are my totally subjective thoughts. First off, I don't feel the need for overwelming bass (neither does my SO). I just got my 16-46PCi this week and am very pleased with it. My room is > 9000 cu ft not including it being open to a large kitchen and 2 story hall entrance. It has a smooth seamless sound that feels just right. I think a second sub would be over doing it for us. Anyway, I don't have an ideal place for it.

Good luck, you'll be happy with any SVS decision.

5. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I have about 4000 cf and a 20-39PC provides plenty of LFE for us. Now that being said, I am a bass/ lfe lover and want/need that "emphasis" in movies and music.. kinda like that pic you mentioned of the Memorex poster.
    I keep reading of persons having TWO SVS subs and just cannot imagine the sound pressure they"re getting!!!
    BTW: That Memorex ad... that is a JBL L-100 speaker (from the 70's). I have a pair as my mains and I had to make sure my drink is secured before I turn'em up..... [​IMG]

6. Alexis

Alexis Stunt Coordinator

That's a maxell commercial, not memorex.

7. Hugh Scrivener

Thanks Alexis your info was so pertinent.

8. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

9. Barry Barnes

Barry Barnes Stunt Coordinator

I have a 3500 square foot room which opens into the kitchen and dining areas. We have just purchased one of the SVS CS 20-39's and we are driving it with 250 watts of ADA power.
    I haven't calibrated it yet, but so far I can't turn it up more than about 3/4 of the way before it literally scares the hell out of me. [​IMG]
    Not sure how many db's I'm throwin' down but it seems like alot. Especially watching Tital AE. The thing I'm wondering is, given my preferred listening levels, what does a second sub get me? Assuming the bass is still at 100 db, what would be the difference? Or, is that second sub for folks who can't reach the desired levels with only one sub?

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hugh, if you are looking for maximum performance from a single enclosure...the CS_Ultra/S1000 combo would be the way to go. If you wanted to stay in the CS+ lineup...I would go with the 20-39CS+ over the 16-46CS+ unless you were a pipe organ fanatic?

Barry, adding a second identical subwoofer will give you a 6dB headroom increase if both enclosures are placed near one another. If the single subwoofer is never straining...the addition of the second unit might not make much audible difference.

TV

11. Hugh Scrivener

I've always been a member of the 'will it to happen, it WILL happen' family. And after much willing and wishing things are happening.

As it turns out my deal with the 'Empire" worked out better than previously thought, and as I look around the home I see many things that need improvement and/or up-dating....the late seventies/early eighties carpet or kitchen cabinets, and the southern porch that begs to embrace a hot tub and welcome friends to rest and relax, and many un-named others.All suggestions of the SO, but all very appealing to me.

But what I see is a home theater that is begging for upgrades. I see speakers that don't speak, an amplifer/reciever that neither recieves nor amplifies, a woofer that doesn't woof and a TV that measures a pitiful 27inches and not the 50inches(or 57, if I play my cards right), that it could, and now can....so you see my quandry.

My speakers Kinda speak, my amplifer/reciever Kinda recieves, and yes, Kinda amplifies......the big speaker in a box...well what can you say? But the visuals.....

I wANT AND WILL EVENTUALLY PURCHASE AN SVS.....more likely than not a 20-39 CS+/Sampson 1000, per Toms Suggestion and dual up at some point later...ME LIKES D' BASS!

I appreciate all the help and suggestions, and don't feel like I've forsaken you....I...in heart...am already an SVS owner. I will soon in actuality BE an SVS owner....but right now.....

...i never saw this movie but ala' sound byte technology.."...if you build it....they will come...."

12. David K. Johnson

I too have a large room (17x23) with an open end, & high ceilings. I was a little apprehensive about getting the 1646PC vs the 2039PCI, because of this room size, but since I found the 1646PC used, I got it, & couldn't be more pleased. I should have GIVEN AWAY my Velo. FSX-12!! There is no comparison. Tom & Ron have done an incredible job with these, & I don't even have the new "Bash" amp. Now, I've got to find the time to re-watch 130 DVD's!! More output than you'll ever need (if you want to retain what's left of your hearing), &, at least in my room, the SVS has a smoother response than the Velo. FSX-12!

13. Barry Barnes

Barry Barnes Stunt Coordinator