SVS Owners...25-31 owners

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by douglas-b, Feb 16, 2006.

1. douglas-b

douglas-b Stunt Coordinator

Douglas Berry
    Alright I know people ask this question a lot. Which one do I get, the "pci" or the "pc plus". I have a Denon 1804 running "Phantoms", CC-170's front and rear (surround), and "Atoms" running surrounds. (6.1)
    My room is 21 feet 8 inches long and 11 feet 3 inches wide with 9 foot ceilings. I have my equipment running long ways through the room. I have 6 feet of space directly behind me on the couch. I will locate the sub directly behind me or to the right in the corner. It will be close to my seating position. Should I get the PCI or the PC-Plus. Do I really need the 525 watts. I know I'm a guy and I want it but...do I need it?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd say the plus would be the better choice. I've heard the PCi in a bigger room and it does very well. The Plus is capable of quite a bit more clean output though. The question is how much bass do you really want? A lot or a LOT? [​IMG]

3. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

The 25-31 PCi was my first SVS....that thing will kick your ASS. That said, if money wasn't a huge concern, I'd go with the '+' and take a REAL pounding [​IMG]

4. Ron Temple

Ron Temple Stunt Coordinator

If you don't have any openings to massive space like I do. The PCI will do an outstanding job. I've heard the PB10 in a slightly smaller room. It sounded extremely good. The Plus, in the same room, sounded excellent, more definition, output and headroom. I would imagine the Ultra would be amazing. So I guess your decision is between great and better. That makes it easy...don't it[​IMG]

5. douglas-b

Douglas Berry
    Thanks John, Alan and Ron...your advise is well taken.

[​IMG]

All these views and only three owners with advise[​IMG]

6. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Doug: I don't think anyone is going to tell you that you "need" the plus version. I'm sure the PCi will be fine....but if you can swing the extra two bills or whatever it is, I'm sure you won't ever find yourself saying, "dang, I sure wish my sub kicked just a little less ass than it does".

On top of that, not that I'm trying to put a burden on SVS here, but you do have a certain amt of time to give it a try in your room. If you're this uncertain about it, just go with the PCi....fire it up, watch some good movies, listen to some good music, and see how it goes. If you dig it, keep it. Put the saved money toward some CDs or DVDs....or get something nice for the wifey. Otherwise, just send it back and ask Tom, Ron, or Erik to send you the plus. [​IMG]

Just make sure you calibrate the darn thing before you come to any conclusions. I can't stress how important that is.

7. douglas-b

Douglas Berry
    Right on[​IMG]

I'm all about calibration.
    Avia...check!
    Sound And Vision HT Tune Up....Check!
    Radio Shack SPL...Check!
    Tripod...Check!

8. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

lol....there ya go....just get a 'check' off to SVS, and you'll be all set [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Daniel.Han

Daniel.Han Stunt Coordinator

Hey Douglas, I've owned the PCi for about 1.5 years now at the 22Hz tune that SVS will do and I have been quite happy with it. My room is a bit smaller than yours though.

Now I while I have nothing against you paying SVS for a brand new sub, I should mention that I will be posting mine up in the FS section of the forum later this afternoon. Just FYI.

To stave off the inevitable question, my wife and I are moving into an apartment from our current house and the sub will just not be used enough to justify it.

DH

10. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

All good suggestions above!

I'm one of the early SVS 25-31PCi owners that pre-ordered it (SN: 00034 - received April 2002) and I'm still using it in my 20' x 30' w/10' high vaulted ceiling HT/family room!

The decision to get the SVS 25-31PCi was based on Tom V. email response and recommendation after I told him the size of the room, budget and my 80% HT / 20% Music preference!

When I first got my SVS 25-31PCi, my usual once or twice Friday NITE DVD crowd (since 1998) immediately notice the sub-sonic feel of the LFE tracks in my DVD's while seamlessly blending with the entire DD/DTS-5.1/6.1 Blockbuster DVD's frequency range!!! [​IMG] Referenced Calibrated using Dolby Labs DD-EX w/dedicated LFE track DVD!

After using it for over 8,000 est. hours, it is still my main LFE sub-sonic pant-leg moving impact* foundation that compliments my JBL S26's all-around & JBL S-Center setup!!!

*My usual SPL playback is -10 dB below REF Level w/approx. 106 dBc Fast SPL LFE Peaks - loud enough to move the floor, air, couch, chairs and pant-leg(s) (all seating locations in the room) when the LFE track calls for it and still be easily audible during the whispering quiet dialog moments during the DVD blockbuster movie!!!

So, email SVS with your room size, HT/music sound preference, budget, etc. and see what they recommend.

FYI: Music is also important to me, so I'm happy to say that the SVS 25-31PCi raised the level of my Jazz music CD's enjoyment by reproducing the full frequency spectrum**, ... kinda' like our live performances we did for 3-years in the SF Bay Area, from the San Francisco Country Club, Scottish Rite Temple near the SF Zoo, Half Moon Bay Jazz Club right up to the Saratoga Country Club! I played Piano, Fender Rhodes Electric Piano, Guitar (acoustic & electric) and bass (upright & electric).

**Also helps to have speakers that were objectively benchmarked by a 3rd party test lab to have the ability to play the critical SPL musical range between 200Hz to 10 kHz +1.7 / -1.4 dB (-3 dB point is 48 Hz)!!!

Have fun deciding,
    Phil

11. douglas-b

Douglas Berry
    Wow! 20X30 room and still impressed with the "PCI". Your making me want to reevaluate my decision with spending the extra money on the "plus". Thanks for the post Phil.

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Actually, it was at Phil's that I first heard the 25-31PCi and I was quite impressed as well. Definitely pant-leg flapping, but Phil's room has a lot to do with that as well - it seems to be a nearly ideal size for setting up great bass response. In a smaller room, you will get different results.

Now Phil, you're going to have to drop by sometime and give my 15" Tempest a listen [​IMG]

13. Paul Mor

Paul Mor Stunt Coordinator

douglas,

sounds like you're in the same position as I am...except I'm looking at the box subs instead of the cylinders. I really want to pull the trigger and get the lesser of the two models, but can't help but feel I'll wonder what I'm missing. Lots of good information to be gained around here to help in the decision making process. I'm driving myself crazy going back and forth between which one I'll get.

14. Phil Iturralde

Tom “Sub-human” Vodhanel recommendation was spot-on and my HT has become the place to be @ to watch the latest blockbuster DVD (usually sci-fi & adventure) releases!

Another big crowd tonight to watch "Zathura" on my new 56" Toshiba 1080p DLP HDTV (Panasonic S77s w/HDMI - upconverted = 1080i)!!! Should be glorious!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Phil

15. Phil Iturralde

Hey John, will do sometime this summer - I'll email ya'!!! I really want to vibrate my contact lenses!!! [​IMG]

Really busy now, that we inherited 3 properties in Sunnyvale ... adding them w/our existing 3 houses & with my wifes Realty clients (just presented an offer ... near a mil ... last night), just ties up our evenings & weekends!

Phil

16. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Phil: Your post made me think back to when I got my first SVS...the room was about 15x30, rectangular ,with the gear on a long wall. it opened up into a kitched and dining area that was pretty much the same size. The first flick we watched was Blade II.....I'm not kidding in the slightest when I say that we literally had to recover from the experience. That little 25-31 can kick some serious subwoofer ass. I used to make a joke on here (that nobody thought was all that funny except for me [​IMG] ) that the first thing the SVS did when it saw my little Paradigm PDR-10 hiding in the corner, was go over and eat it. Whole. I've listened to lots of speakers and gear, and I have yet to see two ANYTHING in a given price class so far apart in performance as what the SVS was from the PDR. The SVS was only like $100 more! I'm a big fan of Paradigm speakers, but that little crap sub had no chance in hell of sticking around after that. Thankfully I was able to sell it for a decent price....