What's new

SVS original driver vs Dayton DVC (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've heard the original SVS driver (works decent in a 2.5 ft^3 sealed enclosure), and also in a ported 5 ft^3 enclosure. Some DVDs with strong LFE will cause it to pop/overextend its mechanical limits, but for 98% of DVDs, it'll do fine. It was a real bargain for $50-$55 delivered last year (bought it from someone who upgraded their SVS driver).

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I've got an original SVS 25-31PC and a DIY Dayton 12" DVC in 3.5 cu ft tuned to about 22Hz. They're very similar. Difference in sound quality is minimal and likely more dependent upon the enclosures than the woofers. T/S parameters are pretty similar so they'd likely work well in the same alignments.

The DVC actually has a small displacement advantage - its around 1.5L vs the estimated 1.2L for the SVS original driver. With the 25Hz tuning and the built-in rumble filter the SVS can hit high SPLs without bottoming. If you're planning on tuning 20Hz or lower or you're not using a rumble filter I'd prefer the DVC for the extra excursion. But the price differential could certainly justify the SVS. Remember here that we're probably comparing the prices of used and new drivers - apples and oranges. You might find a used DVC or even catch it on sale. It's all time low was a deal-of-the-day for $75.

The DVC has dual voice coils (duh) 8 ohms each. The SVS is SVC 4 ohms. The DVC has foam surround. SVS is rubber or rubber-like. DVC cone is paper. SVS is coated or poly or whatever-you-call-it (feels rubber-like). DVC has convex dust cap. SVS has concave dust cap.

Overall I think the combination of rubber surround, coated cone and convex dust cap make the SVS look like a nicer, better driver. But I think the reality is that the DVC has a slight advantage.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Almost forgot - the DVC has a significantly larger, heavier magnet. This could be bad if you want to place it near a tube television.

bruin

Second Unit
Wow, Thanks for the info guys! That's more help than I expected.

Hopefully the deal goes through with the svs drivers as I think it's a good deal ($135 for 2). I started making 1 2cu ft sealed enclosure. I'm planning on making 2 sealed subs placed underneath my 9se's. I probably won't have everything finalized for another 2 weeks as I'm still waiting for an amp and the drivers. Thanks again for the comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks