SVS original driver + 16" sonotube + PE 250W plate amp = SVS killer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sebastian, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Oops. I mean SVS clone, I got carried away.
    First of all, a big thanks to Mr. Tom V of SVS, what a great guy!
    Also, thanks to Dustin B (e-mail/website), Patrick and Andrew Lo for their helpful websites.

The nitty gritty: 16” sonotube 40” high (approx 44" overall). 1” MDF plugs laminated to ¾ Baltic Birch end caps. 2-1/8" stand-offs and ¾ BB base plate.
    Effective volume=5.01 cu-ft, 4" full-length precision port from PE giving me an 18.3Hz tune.
    It’s within a couple of liters, I believe.
    Sounds awesome! Here are some pics and freq sweep vs. my old 10” sub.

sonosub solo freq sweep, lower volume level

Vs. 10" sub

Da guts

Top view 1

Top view 2

Full view

It's not covered yet, only painted. I have the ribbing just trying to think of good way to attach it to the sub. It is the 20" ribbing, so it it not as tight as I would like it, just snug.

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

It looks as though you used Fiberglass insulation to stuff that sub, are you worried about any of the glass fibers being blown out of the port??

Nice sub btw!

3. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Cam,
    Every pic I saw of an actual SVS sub showing the insides uses fiberglass insulation. Also, Tom recommended the use of fiberglass insulation.
    As for glass fibers, I was concerned too, I asked Tom but I think he got busy because he never answered that question.
    I have not seen any fiber glass fibers flying around yet so I should be okay. I made sure that all loose fiberglass was discarded before installing the driver. Presently I found a 6" speaker grill that just fits over the port that I have temporarily installed.
    I have not heard any SVS owners complain about irritation so I am not too concerned yet.[​IMG]