What's new

SVS or Velodyne (Honestly PLZ) (1 Viewer)

TravisEtherton

Stunt Coordinator
OK after alot of Peer-Presure I'm considering SVS. I have the opportunity to Buy a Velodyne CT-150 for $350.00 shipped. This is a 15" Sub. Now I am also considering the SVS PCi 25/31 and the 20/39. Given my room dimensions (Below) which Sub would be the best. I will be using the Sub for 95% HT and 5% Music. I want LOTR's to be as close to the Theater Experience as possible.

Room Specs - 18 X 18 with 10Ft ceilings. Two entrances in the Rear (No Doors).

BTW- This is off the Subject but what brand of Speakers/Subs are in the (Majority) of Theaters.:D

Thanks for any Advice. This is my Third Post asking for opinions. I like to do my research before committing. Especially considering that I've never heard one of these SVS Models on person.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i wont touch the subwoofer dilemna, mostly because i sell velodyne, and i havent heard svs, but i can answer the question regarding theatres. most theatres use JBL, Klipsch, or rarely bose. but the first are the primary ones used.

you shouldnt shoot to be as good as a theater. most theaters are pretty horrible. you can get a LOT better at home if you do your homework with setup and tweaking.

you have a decent sized room, but only doing music 5% of the time makes the sub decision a LOT easier. IMHO, a sub can do HT a lot easier than it can do music. HT is about quantity, not quality. so, if you have good output, you will be set.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I disagree that HT is about quantity, not quality. A lot of people do want more extension and output for HT but quality needs to be the first and foremost factor in the purchase.

I had a Def Tech PF15+ for awhile and the thing was sloppy as hell. All quantity, no quality. I opted to get rid of it and went without a sub for several years. I bought a SVS PB-2+ last year and it should be the last sub I'll ever need. Other subs I auditioned included M&K, Velodyne, and Klipsch.

Which SVS would be best? Depends what you want, more output or lower extension. I think the 20-39 is a great way to go.

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
i'm thinking of getting on but i have seen the that they have a box and cylinder. whats the diff?? wife approval?
they both look great. and what this i hear about asking them to tune it. i have been doing some reding on them and it has been nothing but good reveiws. THX

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Sheldon,

There is an entire section on "box or cylinder" question under FAQ's (Questions) on our website. The bottom line is that each design has advantages, but these do not really include sonic qualities.

Packaging, weight, looks, cost and multi driver arrays are all issues, but on the only two SVS's that are directly comparable (the 25-31PC and the PB1-ISD) we'd call sound quality a draw.

Ron

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
I admit it....I'm a forum bum. I troll all over. I know Velo makes very capable Subs....but I've read dozens of times where someone traded from a Velo to an SVS...and were blown away and SVS fans forever more. You have to ask yourself why?

And I've yet to read where someone had gone from an SVS to a Velo. Hmmmm....

If you get the Velo you will have a very good unit...but I bet you'll be wondering..."what if...?"

I had a cheesey HTB Sub...I wanted to get one that I knew would never make a bad noise, never have trouble with a sub 20hz track, never have a problem with my Zep or Pink Floyd or Classical, never have me wondering "what if?"

I have a 20-39PCi (got it last Feb) in a 15'x20' open cornered cathedral ceiling room. I've thrown everything I can get at it...and it just keeps putting silly grins on the mine and the family's faces! (and any friends that stop by) From a light Chello track....to shaking the foundation when the Ring drops in LOTR (23Hz @ 117db!!!!!) We have bass heaven! It has made the biggest impact in my HT by far. Neighbors are amazed at what it does! Great fun!

Good luck with whatever you purchase!

SethH

Senior HTF Member

If you ask specifically SVS will tune a 25-31 to 22Hz instead of 25 for you. I *think* I heard of an instance where they tuned a 20-39 to 18Hz, but I may be mistaken. The 25-31 tuned to 22Hz seems to be a fairly popular option from what I've read on this forum.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Seth is right.

The small (well by current SVS standards, it's relatively small ;^) 25-31PCI works very very well in smaller rooms if tuned to a somewhat artificially low 22Hz. It's not an optimal alighnment of the woofer and enclosure "specs" but it allows for a bit deeper response and sacrifices only a bit of "max headroom" in the upper bass regions to achieve it.

As stated, it's very popular no cost option if room size is moderate, and size of the sub or cost are key factors (or else the larger and deeper still 20-39PCi would be a superior performer).

All PC-Plus subs are user "tuneable" with the same sort of tradeoffs, using a combination of port plugs and adjustable EQ/Subsonic Filter controls.

Ron

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
I will add that my 20-29PCi sits 14' away from me and I get more then enough SPL's. (as noted by ring test!) My gain is set under 40%. If your serious into HT (and LOTR!) I highly recommend a 20-39 over a 25-31. You'll get that extra boost down low, with near the same SPL level up high. Mine can quickly exceed WAF...output is not an issue at all!

Note, a Ratshack meter in a MUST!!!! Beg, borrow, or steal...but get one! (the analog one....$40)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Well, I've had a CT-150 since 1999 and I'm very thrilled with it. Are there bigger and badder subwoofers out there? Absolutely! It's kinda like, you can be quite happy with your Honda Accord or you can pony up more $$ and go for the Acura or BMW.

You won't have any regrets spending $350 for the 150. If you feel the need for more bass down the road you can always add a second subwoofer.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Adding to this discussion, my SVS 25-31PCi (April 2002 - default tuning) is approx. 12' from my 'sweet spot' in my 20' x 30' w/10' high vaulted ceiling HT/family room and @ -10 dB below REF Level (approx. 105-106 dB Fast LFE SPL peaks), my blockbuster DVD's easily moves the air, floor (20' x 20' is cement w/oak sq. overlay), couch, seats, wall, pant-legs (SVS trait) @ ALL My Seating locations around my 'sweet spot'! At -5 dB below REF Level (approx. 110 dB Fast LFE SPL peaks), it's more glorious, but it does tend to disturb my neighbor's windows and walls - his duplex is over 50' feet away w/fruit trees and 8' ft. fence inbetween. :b

What's uncanny about my SVS 25-31PCi is even @ -20 dB below REF Level (approx. 95 dB SPL LEF Fast peaks), some low LFE INFO still manages to move your pant-legs & floor even when the SPL meter just reads approx. 85-90 dB - (RS Meter Dial = 90 dB / Weight = C / Speed FAST - sampled late one night Toy Story 2 - THX trailer, INTRO up to 'end game').

So, pick either SVS you listed above that fits your budget and space.

Have fun deciding,
Phil

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
The movie theatre that I worked in as a projectionist had different speakers over a few years of expansion. They started off with a mono system; Altec-Lansing was the speaker behind the screen. I remember they always had "the voice of the movie theatre" stamped on side of the speakers. They switched to a analog surround system and Boston Acoustic speakers where used, and finally the theatre was turned into a mega-plex and JBLs were installed. I believe JBLs are very common on most mega-plex installations.

As for getting your HT sound the same as a movie house, I have to agree with some of the comments; you can achieve better sound in your HT with proper care and calibration. The lower frequencies played in movie house rarely go below 30Hz because they don't want the sound "felt" in other viewing areas, so subsonic is rarely a goal when setting up sound in movie houses. In short, you can get more of a "thump" from you HT sub. That's not to say they can't calibrate the sound in movie theatres to go subsonic, sound techs just don't do it. Also, I believe movie soundtracks are rarely engineered to go below 30Hz; they know movie house owners don’t want the lower frequencies being felt throughout the whole complex, so they concentrate efforts on the rest of the sound spectrum. That's why you will see DVD soundtracks redone for HT, so some of the sounds will dip well below 30Hz; so you can shake the couch etc

TravisEtherton

Stunt Coordinator
I was just over at SVS's site calculating Shipping. I noticed a "Coupons" section in the ordering process. It stated "If using a coupon please click "Redeem Coupon" button BEFORE clicking continue or coupon will NOT be applied". Where does one get one of these "Coupons". Previous Owners....?

Thanks for all the Info. Very interesting. Phil I am interested in JBL's NSP1s. Do they make a comparable line thats not discontinued.

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the coupon thing too...I looked all over (and I'm a pretty good searcher!) no luck..I think it may be something previous owners get....

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
Actually I got mine before I got in here....I joined (had it bookmarked from much earlier...I am a Forum Whore! :D) after jawing with Craigsub at HTS.....So no, had not searched here! :D

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Not true at all.The so called "near field" mixing is done because once again the size difference of the two rooms[home and the cinema].This usually only deals with the upper frequncies,and never the bass ones.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I've heard a CHT15 and it is indeed a nice sub. I've heard the Velodynes HGS15 and FSR1500 as well compared directly to a dual SVS 25-31cs+ setup and there was absolutely no contest there.

While I can't be for certain that the Velo CHT 15 won't be bested by the 25-31PCI/20-39PCI I will say that the customer support for SVS would be worth the extra money and I would guess that it will be superior.

Speaker wise: Yes Altec Lansing, Atlantic Tech, JBL, and Klipsch seem most popular around here for theaters. I don't really care for their speaker offerings though.

I am a proud owner of an SVS PC+ 16-46 with a PC Ultra on the way. I have yet to read a bad or negative review from a person who has purchased and properly calibrated an SVS Sub. All of my friends who have demo'd my home theater are left fully impressed. SVS is a quality company who takes time to give honest answers regarding their product. The prices at first seem high, however when compared to other "Boutique Subs" they are 50% or more less then their competitor. HSU is the only other company that can really compete with SVS with quality of the product, however with the free tech support and outstanding customer service provided free of charge by SVS, its easy to see why there are so many SVS fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks