SVS or SVS??

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Will-Layfield, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Will-Layfield

Will-Layfield Stunt Coordinator

I really need to get a sub because as you all know I am missing out on those sub 80hz tones(I cry about it j/k) anyways I am looking into getting some of the more inexpensive svs subs. My question to you is a preference for a boxed sub or one in a cylinder and how much better is a 25-31pci then the new and cheaper pb10-isd? I would probably be happy with either. I would guess the cylinder can go deeper then the more cost friendly boxed pb10-isd but please let me know your comments. Thanks.

2. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

I also think the cylinder is more pleasing to the eye. mine disappears in the corner if you can believe that. my wife did not notice it for over a month and asked where it came from. I was like, that old thing ? its been there for over a month. she didnt believe me.

I bought the cylinder cause of 2 cats and 2 young children and didnt want the top of a box getting all scratched up. I am glad I bought the cylinder not only does it sound great but it looks like a beast too. fits in a HT very nicely. the cats have had no interest in a year to use it as a scratching post. not once. I think it has scared them.

I was gonna go for a PCI but for a little extra I got flexability to tune and a much much better driver that they use in the much higher end units they sell. take a look on the site. only one sub I beleive uses the better TV-12 ? driver. mine is the DB-12? I believe . been a while.

people come over and are amazed just by the look of my sub. the cylinder def gives the cool factor and supposed a bit better perfomance.

if price is an issue I am sure the ISD would do nice but I would take the PCI instead.

3. Will-Layfield

Thanks for your input. Unfortunatley price is a factor but I might be able to sqeezue the lowest model cylinder sub. Do you know if anyone has tested the new pb10-isd. It looks like it says it goes down to 18hz on there website but I am not sure. If thats the case I would probably get the box. Lets hear some more input......i guess I should search too [​IMG]

4. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

if it goes that low not bad for a little sub! damn!

5. Brian Elwood

Brian Elwood Stunt Coordinator

If money REALLY is a huge problem go with the PB10-ISD - however - the powered cylinders are awesome and super great to look at. They have a WOW factor that is hard to put a price on.

Look at it this way. You will always wonder "what if" if you don't get the 2531PCi. However - I have never heard one of their Box's so I'm not a judge.

I have a 20/30PCi - also - cat's not a problem it's not to their liking - they can't grab anything to stretch (which is what they are doing).

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There are at least 3 extremely info filled threads on the PB-10 already.

I promise you the PB-10 is capable of it's numbers, but I have to say the 25-31PCi will still move more air and give you more "feel". For the money, I have not heard a sub that goes as low as the PB-10, or the 25-31PCi (except for DIY).

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hi Will,

Here is a little Sweep I did with the PB10-ISD a few days ago.

15Hz---68
    16Hz---74
    17Hz---80
    18Hz---87
    19Hz---85
    20Hz---84
    21Hz---85
    25Hz---84
    30Hz---85

When I ran my 25-31CS+'s in their stock tune with the 1450 QSC amp, they would pretty much be off the chart at 21-22Hz. With the 25-31PCI having it's own on-board BASH amp and the applied stock EQ. You might have a little more in-room extension than the CS+??

It all comes down to how much your willing to spend on your bass. The size room your in will (basically) dictate what your going to achieve for the $$.

8. Will-Layfield

I am not really familiar with tested frequency response so of the information you got the way I look at it the pb10-isd played down to 18hz fairly loud at 87 dba right?

9. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

Will,

Get the 'lil SVS sub and be done with; you'll be so happy with the 'lil tyke (a REAL, TRUE subwoofer, mind you! [​IMG] ) that you'll be looking rather silly for smiling and whistling all the time!... [​IMG]

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

10. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Yes Will. Actually thats a pretty strong response down to 16Hz. If your room is smaller than my 2880^ (12 X 24 X 10') with entrances that are closeable? It would be reasonable to expect a little better.

EDIT> Now I see why they call you the Whistler Frank[​IMG]

11. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

quote:

Now I see why they call you the Whistler Frank [​IMG]

Steve, is real nice to be recognized, so here's from peer to peer...from one Whistler to another: cheers!... [​IMG] [​IMG]

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

12. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Will, the numbers Steve gave only demonstrates how flat the subwoofer is. It'll probably go much louder than the numbers above, it's just you don't output sine waves at the same level as normal audio.

The cylinders probably go louder & deeper (16/20hz models)- however the smallest cylinder is tuned quite high (25hz) I head the new PB-10ISD is tuned quite low (18hz)

13. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Will, the numbers Steve gave only demonstrates how flat the subwoofer is. It'll probably go much louder than the numbers above, it's just you don't output sine waves at the same level as normal audio.
    __________________________________________________ _____

Ain't that the truth. Running sine at a reduced level and pausing after a 2-3 second burst, ensures being able to move on to the next track/sine wave.[​IMG] No use frying the driver you know. I think the numbers showing how flat the PB10-ISD performs and extension, helps demonstrate what a sub it is for the $$. It will definitely go much louder and keep up rather well. Here is a snippet of a post I made in regards.

__________________________________________________ _____
    :::Master and Commander, Time stamp 11:04 cannon scene
    -15 listening level 100db
    -20 listening level 95db

Side note> The PB12-Ultra/2 came in at 105 and 110 at -10 and -5. So the PB10-ISD is coming in right where it would be expected.:::
    __________________________________________________ ______

Master and Commander in DTS at -15 is rather loud imo and possibly as loud as many would like to view? The cannon shots and the cannon heaving back

14. Will-Layfield

Ok so if you guys had to choose a sub between the 20-39pci and the pb12-isd which would you choose?

15. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

PCi. Tuned lower, cheaper delivery, takes up less floor space.

16. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

told ya they hide in the corner well! [​IMG]