SVS or Sunfire

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by TonyWright, Aug 9, 2004.

1. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

Hello all,

I am here again with yet another sub question. I had narrowed my search down to 2 subs beofre today. The PB1+ and the PB2+ both from SVS. I like the wood finish on the PB1+, but belive it or not, my wife likes the black of the PB2+ because it is a better match to my already dark speakers with black piano laquer caps. I also like the PB2+ because I'm sure to have enough headroom for a great long time with this sub, even for when I move into a dedicated theater room.

The only problem is the size. My wife is really not excited about the size of these SVS subs. I went looking around and stumbled onto the Sunfire True Subwoofer EQ. I can pick up this sub from UltimateElectronics (local retailer) for $1600, so it is somewhat near the cost of the SVS contenders.

I have to admit, the Sunfire sounds like a very impressive device. Another benefit to it is that I can finance it for 12 months at 0%. That is a huge benefit to my wife (She likes free money for a year instead of having to cough it up all at once).

Does anyone have any opinons/suggestions on my dilemma?

Thanks in advance for your help here.

Tony Wright

2. micah bjj

micah bjj Stunt Coordinator

My dad has the sunfire, and I just ordered the pb2+. The only svs sub I have heard is a 16-46 and that was what made my decision to get svs. I can only wait to hear the pb2+.

The sunfire is still really good, but I was looking more for that shake your whole body and go low sub.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

This has been discussed in the past.

there is no comparison. If size is a primary concern, and you've got the cash, the sunfire is ok.

But a comparably priced SVS will wipe it clean. It's just not a fair fight.

4. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

Many thanks for your replies. I think the price will outweigh the size issue with my wife. The SVS just seems to be a far better value.

Thanks again for your replies.

5. micah bjj

And I think it is worth the extra $100 to get the pb2+ over the pb1+. Its kind of like getting double for $100.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I dug up some threads. Run a slowest search on SVS and Sunfire, and you'll get lots of stuff.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ht=sunfire+SVS

Jesse was thinking of going Sunfire:

etc, there is more, but I think you get the point. If small is your primary consideration, sunfire is a good contender. If value is preferred, it's more obviously SVS. And if quality is preferred, again SVS nets it.

7. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

Thanks for finding those posts for me. I am just spending countless hours researching and studying products. I am qute careful about what I buy so I like to try to prove myself wrong when I think I might like to go with one particular product.

In this particular venture, my findings just keep coming back to SVS. Time and time again.

Well, that settles it, the research is over.

Now I just have to decide between the PB1+ and the PB2+... [​IMG]

Thanks again!

8. micah bjj

I really dont see how they sell any pb1+ with the little price difference between the pb2+ and the pb1+.

Why would someone get the pb1+ instead of the pc Ultra? Even closer in price, with the ulta having a better driver.

9. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

I would imagine it being the finishes that are offered on those subs. My wife is not a fan of the cylindar subs at all. I tried for a while to sell her on those. It was a miserable failure.

The idea of a nice wood finish was appealing to her at first until we got the wood samples from SVS. She is leaning toward the PB2+ because the black matches our setup better.

10. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I recently upgraded to the Sunfire TrueSub EQ from a Sunfire MKII. No regrets what so ever.

11. Greg Fullerton

Greg Fullerton Auditioning

I have owned a Sunfire Jr. for about 2 years now and I'm very happy with it. Are there other subs out there that are better? I'm sure there are. But is it worth it to change something that isn't broken? For me, no.

It blends well with my Energy towers, (after quite a bit of figeting) and it take up very little room. People are always amazed at how that much bass can be emitted by such a small sub.

12. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

There are many more good choices in subwoofers besides SVS and Sunfire. You are picking the two extreme opposites of the spectrum in terms of design to choose from. There are other companies (Velodyne being one) that makes subs larger and better performing and cheaper than Sunfire but still smaller than SVS subs. Some make them with minimilist finishes like SVS others with fancier finishes. Search around and don't limit your choices. If you want some specific suggestions you should state what you want out of your sub, your listening habits, room size, and price range.

13. Mike Bassi

Mike Bassi Stunt Coordinator

I have the new 10 inch sunfire sub and it's great. I have heard the SVS sub and didn't think it was all that great for pure music and I thought the sunfire seems much quicker, but the sub can also get muddy during loud booming movies which then I have to adjust all the time. I like the size of the sunfire as I can place it anywhere in the house without being seen, and you can't do that with the SVS, but the SVS is a great sub as well, I think everyone on this board likes the SVS so you really can't loose either way. I would stay away from older sunfire subs as they had a hummmming problem.

Mike

14. Tim O...

Tim O... Stunt Coordinator

I haven't heard the Sunfire so I can't comment on it. I have a PB2-ISD and it is the best $899 I've every spent, and amazing bang for the buck. The + is supposed to be basically the same but with more headroom. I do not think you can go wrong with it, and I doubt you'd ever need more sub unless you build a dedicated HT room of 30' x 30' dimensions. In this respect you're wise to buy the most sub you can afford so that you never have to upgrade.

Sure, the size is a factor. And let me tell you, when you uncrate a PB2 it's quite a shock. But, you'd be surprised how quickly it disappears into the room, especially if it's black. I had a look at your HT. Just toss it in a corner and put some knick knacks on it. It will blend in. Besides, tell your wife that the HT is for, well, HT.

SVS gets attacked by some people (mostly the jealous type with too much time on their hands, I think), but usually it's people who've never heard/felt one. Once you do, you'll probably become quite brand loyal, as I am. The reason everyone favours SVS on this and other forums is very simple: they're just that good.

15. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

I like the idea of having a smaller footprint as does my wife. We are going to have to make som compromises though as the smaller foot print does come at a price.

Ultimately, the SVS is winning out in a number of factors. The Sunfire looks like one hell of a nice sub though.

One nice thing about the Sunfire is that I can at least go and listen to it in a audio shop. I don't have that luxury with the SVS.

16. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

Here is the deal....if you have never heard an SVS and you buy the sunfire you will really like it. They are pretty darn good subs. However, if you hear an SVS you would probably not buy the sunfire. They are MUCH cleaner (IMO). I have a good friend that has always raved about his sunfire. I went over and listened to it.....I thought it was pretty nice. It just played a bit muddy to me. Although I wouldn't have know this if I didn't already own an SVS.

17. Tim O...

I don't know if price is a factor here, but you'll get *almost* the same performance from the PB2-ISD as the +, and it's only $899, as opposed to $1600 for the Sunfire and $1200? for the +. You'll just lose a little headroom with the ISD compared to the +, but you won't notice it unless you're playing at very loud levels anyway.

All of this is to say that while all of SVS's subs are reputed to be very accurate, as well as deep and loud, the PB2-ISD is also marketed as perhaps their best offering for music. So while you can't audition it before buying, you would be buying one of their "best sounding" subs for under $1000, let alone $2000, and of course you can return it within 45 days for a full refund if you don't like it. If money is no object then I would buy the +.

About the footprint issue, I'm of the mind that there's no such thing as a free lunch in audio, as in the rest of life. If you want really deep, accurate, and loud bass, you'll have to either: get a sub with a bigger enclosure; spend several $1000s for the technology necessary to cheat physics; or (as in many cases) both. What SVS offers you is that performance at a fraction of the cost of similarly performing subs. But one of the ways they achieve it is with bigger enclosures. Sure, they're big subs. But when you've spent several thousand dollars on a HT, why ruin it by buying an underachieving sub because it doesn't look exactly the way you wanted? Once you and your wife hear it/feel it, the size factor will fade away.

18. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

Tim O,

You may have opened my eyes here. I need to take a serious look at the PB2ISD. I am going to start a new thread to ask opinons on this vs. the PB2+ for my purposes.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Tony

19. Tim O...

Before you do that I would do a search here and especially on Home Theater Spot - SVS forum. I know that subject's been discussed signficantly because I did the same research. You'll also notice several posts from Tom V or Ron S stating essentially what I did: the + and ISD will sound identical or nearly so but the + will have a 2-4 dB advantage in headroom.

20. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

TimO is right.

If your room isn't TERRIBLY large, and/or you don't need SLPs that'll (literally and figuratively) rattle your doors (on the other side of the house) the PB2-ISD is a great compromise. Arguably a better value than the PB2-Plus. That doesn't mean the PB2-Plus isn't a better sub (it is) but you have to balance "better" with "what you need" ... all against "what you want".

The PB2-ISD is already more/better bass in depth, power, accuracy and linear frequency response than 99% of the planet has ever experienced. The jump to the PB2-Plus can be hard to justify in some cases (yet a no-brainer in others). You would need several of any micro sub on the market in this price class to approach the depth and clarity of either. No hype, that's just a fact (as is their larger size which is a large factor in that superior performance. And clearly not all HT fans can accept a large sub in their homes.)

Life is full of tradeoffs. As most know, the old subwoofer joke runs like this:

Size
    Price
    Performance

You get to pick two.

(The last will be dictated to you, and you might not like the results).

Also, one caveat on the "music" bit. All of our 25Hz tuned subs are fantastic for music, heck, all of our deeper tuned subs are too. While the PB2-ISD is indeed just about the perfect subwoofer for anyone wanting high-power, superlative music sound, it's not as though our other products are inferior either. Much depends on the sort of music in question even. If someone said they had a mid sized room and placed high emphasis on say pipe organ recitals, the 16-46PC-Plus would be the "music sub" of choice.

Large rooms where footprint of the sub is less important than excellent accuracy on rock/pop/hip hop? High output and good depth for movies too and under $1,000?

The PB2-ISD is your sub probably.

Got a larger room and maybe you just want "more" of what the PB2-ISD gives? The PB2-Plus does that.

Ron