What's new

SVS or something else (1 Viewer)

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
currently have onkyo/ paradigm set-up. the onkyo 603 with a pair of focus and 4 atoms. My current sub is the paradigm PDR -10, it was fine, but i want something that rocks hard. My question is what SVS to get, the tubes or the cubes. Im looking at the 20-39 pc plus, or pb12 plus. My room is roughly 15 by 15. I am using it for 70% movies, but still want something that will totally shake things during parties with rap/ hip hop, also i like to listen to pop/punk/rock. Which one of these subs should i spend my hard earned dollars on, or should i be looking elsewhere for some bad ass bass.

Thanks,
Steve

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I have had the PB12+ and that would be my recommendation. I upgraded after about a year to the Ultra versions simply for color match with my furniture when they first came out. Good Luck.

scott>c

Second Unit
I`ve had the 20-39pci and +, and now have the pb12 and pb12/2plus. All of these subs are off the hook with the +`s being more powerful. Its just a matter of preference on the box or cylinder. I changed because one of the pb`s is going in my wifes living room so it acts as a coffee table. The other I just got a great deal on. So if u dont mind the looks of the cylinder they are cheaper than the box subs and they still look very nice.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Well, I'd say the 20-39 Plus. The output between it and the PB-12 Plus are about the same, so why pay more for the PB-12 Plus (unless you want a wood finish). The 20-39+ costs less plus shipping is less. It also needs less floor space. Check out the response curves for each sub, they are very similar I think. Either way you can't go wrong. The PB-12 Plus will be bulky and take up a lot of space, I just got a PB-12 ISD/v which has the same box as the PB-12 Plus, it barely fites where I needed it, my wife said no to the 20-39 Pci or I might have gotten that.

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah im in college so the WAF is not applicable. So it sounds like the tube is the better value. Would there be another way to spend 800 bucks that would give me more or better quality bass? Also would it sound alright if i kept the paradigm PDR-10 (their 350 dollar sub) hooked up.

Thanks,
Steve

steve nn

Senior HTF Member

The only thing I can think of is DIY. Your first sub would come in around the same mark considering the cost of 15" driver, wood, amp (maybe pro amp?)and tools. If you have allot of other things going on and aren't really inclined to building more than one sub..I dont think I would recommend it.

I would loose the PDR-10 and not try to incorporate it with the PC or PB12...it'll only pull your performance down.

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Update:
Paradigm pw2100 at $700 or 25-31 pc plus at $795 shipped? I listened to the pw2100 today and was pretty impressed.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Steve, there is nothing Paradigm makes in terms of subwoofers that won't get its ass kicked by a similarly priced SVS. If you want your sub to do what you described in your original post, get the SVS. The 25-31 pc+ will be everything you want and more.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Going from the PDR-10 to the SVS PB-10 would already be a BIG improvement, so stepping up to any of the Plus line is going to be a jump in light years of performance. I agree with Alan, the 25-31PC Plus would be a great choice though I might still opt for the 20-39 Plus for more extension, and they will best the likes of most anything but the Servo 15 from 'digm (and even that would still be close).

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
is the output difference between the 20 and the 25 that much different? do i really need those extra 5 hz?

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
If you're mostly wanting the sub to whoop your ass, then no. The 20-39 will do some damage too, just not quite as much. I owned both (the PCi versions, though) and I loved both. If pure visceral impact is what you're after, or what appeals to you most, get the 25. If you can trade off a LITTLE of that for the extension, then like John suggested, go for the 20. You'll love either of them, though, so don't think of it as some massive difference between the two.

How big is your room, by the way?

TimJC

Stunt Coordinator
Do you need that last 5hz? No.

... But, you really, really want it! True infrasonic bass is a particulary neat experience.

Tim

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
my room size...i dont know the exact numbers because i move in the middle of May, but its decent size, prolly like 15 by 15. I think i might end up going with the 25-30 pci plus. The reviews you guys give are all positive...is there anything negative? I was listening to the pw2100 this weekend and liked that, but people say that the svs will blow it away. who knows...

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Okay, well in a room that size even one of the PCi models will knock you around. Either one of the plus versions will definitely give you what you're looking for.

I don't personally see any drawbacks for the SVS product, but I also happen to really like the look of the cylinders. Some people either prefer the box cabinet or they have WAF issues. I'm the type of person will will choose the more unique product, all things being equal. You have a company that offers you great customer service, a great warranty, timely shipping, top bang for your dollar.....I don't know what else you could want out of a product line/company.

You put a 25-31+ (or 20-39) in that room and you'll be back here shortly afterward singing its praises.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With the Plus models, you have the ability to change the tune via plugging or unplugging ports, but the 20-39+ has a native tune of 20Hz. That extra 5Hz can definitely make a difference, as TimJC notes :), but the 25-31+ will still give you output down low too, just not as much as the 20-39+. The difference will be, as AlanZ is saying, the 25-31 has a bit more output at the expense of a bit of extension, while the 20-39 flips on that with more extension and sligthly less output. In a room that size, the Plus will be great, but I agree, even a PCi will already be pretty impressive. Going with a Plus just means you won't be looking for a sub upgrade anytime soon :D I've heard the PW-2200 and I like that guy...but the Plus SVSs will outperform it.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I've heard a 20-39 and owned a 25-31. I can say that its unlikely that you'd be able to audibly tell the difference between them unless you did a level-matched side-by-side comparison. Even then it would probably be close. Loved my 25-31. Never lacked for extension even in my very large room. The extra extension is mostly in the tactile range and the 25-31 already does mighty fine in that arena. At some point I actually prefer to have limited sub-harmonic response since it means less stress on the walls and fewer rattles to deal with.

In fact, I've never heard ANY SVS owner complain about extension. What I do hear is guys missing some of that mid-bass "punch" that you get from many other subs. They usually get used to "the SVS sound" after a while. But I think the 25-31's are ideal in this respect. Enough of that punch so you won't find it lacking but not at all over-cooked. The loudest and smallest of all 3 cylinder sizes. That sounds just right to me.

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
cool, thanks for the help. i think the 25-31 plus matches what i want as far as budget and output. on a side note...any one want to buy a pdr 10?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Although there are a number of choices out there for good subwoofers. I would suggest the SVS it a great bang for the buck. When I was living in So. Cal. one of the members of this forum gave me a demo of his system. He was using a SVS sub along with Swan Diva speakers. I was impressed, the SVS sub got deep and you could feel the bass.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Steve, the 25-31 is my personal favorite, but I think the 20-39 is their most popular size. Just for some perspective, I've got the small PB-10/ISD right now in a 16x25 room and it's very impressive. I love my bass, but this little thing is so good that it's allowed me to focus on getting a projector, in addition to speaker and amp upgrades. I'll probably get myself back into a more powerful SVS later in the year, but the PB-10 has been quite the performer. I think John was happy with his PB-10 too, even though he's since upgraded to a DIY (??).

Dave, every time I see one of your posts I get more excited about Blu-ray, lol.....if you don't take that out of your signature I'm gonna say it was your fault that my wallet is $1k lighter in a few months ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks