SVS or Def Tech?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick L, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

OK, this is not the regular this sub or that sub comparison. I am looking at how cost effective it would be to buy a SVS or Def Tech sub. The Def Tech sub I'm looking at is the PF15TL+ and I am looking at the 25-31pci. Now, I am able to pick up the def tech brand new for $300. The SVS would be almost twice the price after shipping. Is the SVS going to be so head and shoulders above the Def Tech sub that its worth double the money? That is my question. I auditioned the def tech sub and it is pretty damn loud, sounds pretty good too. And I am unable to audition the SVS.

Thanks for your input

Nick L

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    That's an unbelievable price for the DT. Doesn't it retail for near $1000?

3. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

That IS a really good price. I think if you bought two of 'em and stack them in a corner you'd be in great company!

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

At $300, I would go with the DT. Even if you decided to upgrade in 6 months...you should be able to make a profit selling it used.

TV

5. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Yeah Tom's right, for that price I'd buy a pair of the DT's. That's a hell of a lot of bass for 6 Benjamins. [​IMG]

6. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

While 300.00 (retail 699.00) is great price for the DT I can tell you it is not going to perform like the SVS. I had a pair of PF 15TL+ subs and thought I was livin' large until I just couldn't ignore all the SVS hype anymore and ordered a pair of 20-39CS subs with the S700 amp. The SVS combo blew the DTs out of the water down low. 30-35hz and up it was pretty close but I'm talking about a 20db gap at 20hz. So if every time you double the subs you gain 6db then I would have needed about 16(!) of the Def Techs to keep pace. Tom V. please correct me if I'm wrong here. I've since upgraded to the twin 20-39CS+/S1000 combo and happier than ever. Just some food for thought.

7. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I was never impressed by my PF1500. Muddy and no deep bass at all. I don't think the PF15+ is much better.

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

A 20dB gap would take about *10* more of x to meet y.
    So if you had 2 SVs that where 20dB more powerful than 2 acme units....it would take
    2 acme = -20
    4 acme = -14
    8 acme = -8
    16 acme = -2
    22 acme = 0(same as svs).
    So I guess that would be right.
    I do think the SVs would handily outgun the 1500s in the first octave...but I'm not sure I would bet on needing 10 DTs for each SV...[​IMG]
    TV

9. Dan Steffen

Dan Steffen Stunt Coordinator

10. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Well I think for my appartment I will just stick with the DT. If I bought an SVS I would get thrown out. Thanks for all the info guys!

Nick L