What's new

SVS or Def Tech Supercube (1 Viewer)

Parker Bailey

Auditioning
I have almost come to my final decision, it is between the Definitive Technology Supercube II or the SVS 20-39PC+. Both subs are in the same price range. I can get the Def Tech for about $800+tax, and the SVS is about $830 shipped. I have heard everyone rave about the SVS, but I've actually heard the Def Tech, and have yet to hear an SVS. I love the sound of the supercube though. I did notice a pretty big difference between my 2000's subs and the supercube (I currently own the Definitive Technology BP2000TLs(mains), C/L/R 3000(center), and BP2006TLs-surr). It was a lot cleaner, it sounded stronger and I felt it a lot more. I was just wondering what you all thought about the 20-39PC+ and the Supercube II (in comparison).

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I think there's been a few threads asking about the same question here lately...a quick search might turn up some good info. If you can audition the DT in your home and love it, you could probably do a lot worse than to keep it. I'm not going to tell you the 20-39PC+ wouldn't extend deeper or have more headroom(clean output capabilities)...but if you never approach the output limits of the DT...any improvement over that may not be very noticeable. How large is the listening room and does it have any large openings to other areas of the home? will you be able to place the subwoofer in/near a good corner of the room---preferably a corner near the key seating positions? With action oriented DVDs, do you occasionally listen at loud to very loud volume levels(prehaps near reference levels)?

Tom V.
SVS

Parker Bailey

Auditioning
The room is 19x14 and it does have an opening to the kitchen on the right side of my listening position. The room is about 15x16. I do have a corner to put it in, but it is at the front of the room and not at my listening position. I listen to movies at fairly loud volumes. I'd say about -12 to -8 below reference. This is with a yamaha 5460 :b , I plan to upgrade to a Denon 3803 very soon though ;) .

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I was reading T V post and I thought to myself> yes these are the right questions in deciding on a sub. I looked at the name and (go figure).

Both will do the job but if you don't mind a taller sub with more capability then imo the 20-39+ would be the better choice. Even though it is taller and allot more enclosure volume (your/SVS advantage) it blends in allot better than what some would think and will have a small foot-print.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I hope you guys noticed an owner of SVS here pointing to the competition for this guy to try out first. Thats just the kind of guys Tom and Ron are. If something may work out well for your room and he knows your situation it's not beneath him to loose a sale to gain a friend or offer true advice.

Parker Bailey

Auditioning
No I don't really mind the bigger sub, as long as it is a good sub. I have no doubt the 20-39PC+ is a great sub, I just wanted to know what all of you think about the two.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim

There's a very good reason for that!

I own an a/d/s M3 powered sub that I was happy with. However, all the posts about SVS got me wondering if I was missing something.

I contacted SVS back in early 2002 and they answered all my questions honestly, including their opinion that I already owned a very good sub. They even offered to suggest brands I could by locally if I wasn't comfortable purchasing online. They never tried to talk me into buying an SVS or try to recommend an SVS model that I didn't need.

Well, at that point I decided to stick with what I had. After all, my a/d/s sub sounded great to me and how much better could an SVS be anyway? But during 2003 I kept reading all the posts from excited SVS owners and SVS introduced some more capable models. So, in Dec of 2003, with some extra cash in my pocket from a work bonus, I decided to give SVS a try. After all, if I didn't like the improvement, then I could send it back and only be out a few dollars for shipping.

That was a year ago and am thrilled with the performance of my 16-46PC+. It definately outperforms my a/d/s in terms of flatter response, more headroom, and cleaner output. I am equally thrilled with the service I've received from SVS. Even though I've had no warranty issues, I did need some help in setting it up properly and the guys at SVS (especially Tom V.) went out their way to help me and make sure I was getting the best from my SVS sub.

This was one case where my fears about buying a sub I've not heard from an internet company were completely unfounded.

Bottom line, anyone looking at buying a new sub owes it to themselves to seriously consider SVS. They offer excellent products at bargain prices with fantastic service that's hard to believe.

JimmyK

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
you can try the SVS for 45days and return for very little shipping. sounds like a chance id take!

Jay McC

Agent
I am an owner of a DefTech SupercubeI and am very happy with it.

That being said, when i purchased it i hadn't visited this forum or ever heard of SVS subs. If i had to do it all over again, knowing what i know now, i would definitely give them a try. Its pretty obvious that their customer service is top notch. It seems to me that they have the right philosophy when it comes to building subs and build the right enclosure for that sub and not try to bend the laws of physics to make something that is visually appealing.

I really enjoy my supercube but it seems to me that giving SVS a try would be a good idea. You can always send it back.

If you do decide to go with SVS i would like to know what you think. Not only the sound vs the DefTech, but also the size of the beast and how it looks.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi all, thank you for the kind words about SVS.

Hello Parker,

With about 2000 cu-ft open to another 2000 cu-ft,many subwoofers may strain a bit at the levels you are looking for. The subwoofer can be required to produce 121dBs at reference levels. And if you are like most HT enthusiasts and like the bass levels a few dBs on the hot side...make it 124-125dBs. So 8dB under reference(on the master volume setting) would still require up to 115-117dBs from the subwoofer. In this size room...even a single 20-39PC+ would be pushed to its limits at those levels on some of the *bass killer* DVDs out there. Now, these *bass killers* might only represent 0.01% of all DVDs, but we've found new subwoofer owners generally seek them out to break in the new addition to their HT..:)

Does the local DT dealer have any of the older 15TL+ units in stock? You may find a pair of those stacked in the best corner of the room work very well(and I think they retailed for a reasonable $699(?).

If you could place a 20-39PC+ in a corner of the room (a corner within 2-3 meters of the key seating positions)had everything calibrated correctly and left it in 20hz mode...it should give you about 112-118dBs of clean output capabilities...which would be very close to what you'll need to meet your requirements listed above. A 25-31PC+ would give you another 2-3dBs of clean headroom...but you'll lose a bit of extension.

Also, before jumping on the 3803, Denon just announced a new 3805 at CES that looks to be a leap up in the

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
OK...I have heard both subs (super cube reference and the 20-39PC Plus) and it isn't even close! Same room, same position...same everything and the SVS exceeded it in every way. Case closed...the supercube was returned and the SVS stayed. Even at "polite" listening levels it was readily apparent that the SVS was digging lower and had more impact. The super-cube sounded good, really good...but not as good as the SVS offering.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks