SVS or custom/semi custom?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Kolinski, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I'm bit by the upgrade bug by reading all your posts about your DIY's subs [​IMG] I'm thinking about either a SVS 25-31 or a Adire Dharma.I know the SVS is a proven winner,but all the stuff Iv'e read about the Dharma,specs' etc,look great.I also just love the way it looks,very beautiful sub.By just going by specs it seems to me its kind of a tossup between the 2,but being new to the world of "real subs"[​IMG] I could be completly wrong.Price is about the same.I'm also thinking about talking to Brian @ Rutledge,since Iv'e heard nothing but great stuff about him.Just not sure he could build one of his beautiful subs in my $400 to 600 price range.Thanks for any input guys!

thanks
    Greg Kolinski

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I'd recommend getting in touch with Brian and see what he can do with your room/goals/budget. I think he can provide something a step-up from the rest at that price point, and can completely customize for you. Good guy, too.

3. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

Don't overlook Rythmik Audio. He has his servo system on sale. They also sell finished cabinets. For around $570 you can have a 350watt servo sub complete with cabinet.

4. Andrus_R

Andrus_R Stunt Coordinator

umm no, not to me at least.

ross did you actually buy the servo system from rhythmic? If so, your impressions? I didn't buy because i prefer ported systems.

5. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi Greg. I've dealt with Brian as well and he's wonderful to do business with. I've also done business with another great company which is Acoustic-visions.com.

Both are great to deal with.

YGM!!

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

7. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I guess I'm not so curious as to what else there is in that range to choose from (I know the options as well as anyone), but what proof the SVS subs lack that they're "winners". What would this kid take as "proof"?

9. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I hear you Jack. Although, every sub isn't for everyone, it's really hard to say that the SVS offerings lack anything in terms of performance and price. This is old news to most of the long timers and is quickly evident to any new comers.

The good thing is that there are now plenty of options from similar companies that consumers could go to for quality bass and the differences in performance between them is very marginal (sometimes not perceivable) depending on the subs being compared.

This is why I am interested in the above quote as well.

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

11. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I'm listening to them now. I'll write a full review on it later on today. We may have to get you on American Idol. [​IMG]

12. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Hmm... don't know about that. [​IMG] I am in much better shape than I was in that picture, though. [​IMG]