SVS or ´digm ?...Rotel or Aragon for my ´digms?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by alfredo, Sep 30, 2003.

1. alfredo

alfredo Auditioning

Sep 28, 2003
    Speakers: Reference v.3 for a 7.1 speaker config: Studio 100 v.3 as fronts, CC570 v.3 center, ADP 470 v.3 sides, Studio 40 v.3 rears.
    Processor: Lexicon MC-1
    DVD Player: Rotel RDV 1060
    Projector: NEC HT-1000

The two pending things to buy are the multi channel amp(s) and the sub(s)

Based on diferent local factors (I live in south america)I have these options:

i.-For multichannel amps:

option 1. Aragon 2007 (7x200w)

option 2. Aragon 2005(5x200w) for center and rears + Aragon 3002(2x300) for the fronts.

option 3. Rotel RMB1095 (5x200w)for center and rears + Rotel RB1090 (2x380w) for the fronts.

ii.- For the sub(s):

option 1: Servo 15 by Paradigm, 1 or 2?
    option 2: Powered Cylinders by SVS, any model, 1 or 2?

Please you opinion on the above options.

I would take other options only if price is within a limit budget of US$ 5K for both amp(s) and sub(s), the amps are no larger than 16" in depth,and the equipment is 220 volt compatible.

Yes I know, I should go an audition and buy what I like the most but I can not go to another continent to do that!!, so I will have to buy those items WITHOUT pre-audition, based 100% on expected performance as per your valuable advise and/or my personal guess.
  2. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Jun 6, 2003
    Hasn't this already been posted in the Receiver/Separates section?
  3. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Aug 1, 2000
    Addressing just the subs, IMO it depends on your preferences. If music is your top priority then IMO the Servo-15 is the better option. The SVS subs have more 'slam', but to my ear the Servo-15 is faster and more accurate, particularly with music. If you listen to classical or even hard rock, with a lot of bass guitar, I think the Servo-15 will make you smile just a little more than the SVS.

OTOH, if it is HT performance that you want to optimize, the SVS would be my choice. Depending on the model, SVS subs will go little lower and little stronger than the Servo-15, with a slam and rumble that you can feel in your belly at reference levels. Theater like home movie sound is the real strong point of the SVS. The Servo-15 is also a very good HT performer, but doesn't have quite the punch of the higher end SVS subs, IMO.
  4. Jon_Krug

Jon_Krug Stunt Coordinator

Sep 4, 2003
    dan, not sure which svs u heard, and i also have not heard the servo 15 so i can not comment on that. but, i do have the svs pb2+ and i consider it to be very musical (please note that i play with the settings alot and change them depending on what i am listening to and also if i am listening to music or watching a dvd). one of my best friends has a m&k mx350 (which i am pretty sure that everyone agrees is a pretty musical sub). i took mine to his place and compared it side by side and it was just as musical.