SVS Option--1, 2 or option 3 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve nn, Jun 1, 2002.

1. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I have been going back and forth on my mission to get the best bass that I can get. I have bought this and I have bought that. I have run two subs, then one and then back to two. I have contemplated SVS or HSU as my final decision. I think I will now go with SVS... I was leaning to wards two VTF-3s, but the extra money spent on this would not be very wise imo. I have been in the HT gig now for about eight months and the first thing that grabbed me was the big screen that I won at work. Then the second thing that really got my attention were the subs that I received with my Ken 504."I herd the sub with the 504 was maybe not what I would be needing or wanting so I bought the WM-40 to at the same time". Yes it is true--I am sub obsessive and want the most I can get. I run the Vel ct-150 now and have been mostly happy with it, but I know this can not be my final resting place in my sub endeavor. Whoops! I am ranting on. Here is my QUESTION?
    Option 1-- 1 cs ultra $1249 with a second in the future.
    Option 2-- Dual cs+ 25-31 $1299.
    Option 3-- Dual PCI 25-31 $998.
    I use our living-room as our HT. It is open to the dinning-room and the whole two rooms measure 12w x 24L with 10ft ceilings. One entrance to the kitchen off dinning and one entrance too the main entrance of our house off HT living. Level 3 center-- Advent AS 2s towers mains and my stock Ken mains as surrounds. I use our HT for 98% HT. Any help or thoughts out there on which option might put me in bass- LFE nirvana? If there is such a thing? Please forgive for my long post.

2. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I'd go with either one or two. If you want to run dual subs its more economical to go with something based on the CS series, vs. the powered cylinders.
    It sounds like your room is pretty big, how important is hitting referance levels to you? My guess would be a single ultra won't do it. But the CS+ probably should.
    I'm always a fan of having a little extra extention, so the ultra appeals a little more to me, but why not twin 20-39 CS+? If you could flex your budget up to that.
    The Ultra seems impractical to me now, because many have said the CS+ has 80% of the performance gains of the ultra at a fraction of the cost.
    Good luck on your decision, and I hope someone a bit more knowlegable and decisive can answer your question! [​IMG]

3. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I'd go dual 20-39CS+ or a single VTF-3 now and add a 2nd later.

4. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

Steve,
    Do you listen to a lot of music or is your system dedicated to HT? I chose the dual 25-31CS setup because I listen to 50% music 50% movies/tv. The dual 25-31's give me the best of both worlds. If my system were dedicated to HT I would have gone with a dual 20-39 system. When I upgrade I will be staying with a 25-31.
    By the way, you can have them tuned to a 22-31. This is what I did. The first 5 minutes of Toy Story 2 really shake my 4500cu.ft. room. I have a lot of head room left with the dual system.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Regarding the SVS options, I would cast a vote for the $1299 dual 25-31CS+/S1000 system.

1) 2 very advanced 12" drivers using cutting edge technology from TC Sounds(technology that hasn't yet been put to use by anyone else afaik....although other companies are definitely R/D-ing it now)

2)kilowatt

3)> 42 sq-in of flared porting

Even by SVS standards...this is an excellent *component/price* ratio. We do need to get a CS+ reviewed though...it just occured to me we don't have a review for the Plus yet. I wonder if Nousaine would be interested in seeing what a CS+ could do. He's had the Ultras for almost a year now and I haven't heard a peep...so unless we break down and pay him for the data...I doubt a tiny manufacturer like SVS could ever generate enough interest for him to do more than one review on our products every 3-5 years.

TV

6. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

I second the dual 25-31CS+ w/ Sampson amp combo. I was having the same decision making problems and went this route. Let me tell you, I couldn't be happier!!!

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

It seems as though this "25-31s" is what SVS recommends for DVD HT? Which is basically all I do. I like to run my LFE a little hot but when music is played I always cut it back to calibration. 98% HT 2% music. I generally listen at 8-20 db under reference except when I have the house to myself. My thought process usually goes with bigger is better, but in this case this might not be so? I see Tom is going with the dual 25-31 cs+. Thanks for all your input. What size room are you in JoelM? Shawn can you Tell me why you would go with the 20-39s for HT?

8. Tom Vodhanel

Hi Steve,
    Going from the 25-31CS+ to the 20-39CS+ will give you another 1/3 octave of extension or so. The question is...will this increased extension be used enough to warrant the price increase? Since 99+% of DVDs don't have much under 20hz to worry about...the 25-31CS+ would be fine as you can plug one port and get 20hz(and below) extension in all but the largest of rooms.
    However, a lot of SVS customers like to unpack the subwoofer and find the deepest,loudest bassy scenes on a handful of DVDs(TPM,Titan AE,Toy Story2,U-571,ect)...and play them louder and louder until they find the limits of the subwoofer [​IMG]
    So they are taking what would normally be 6(?) months worth of

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Thanks Tom. I think maybe I should be looking at the dual 20-39 then. Would your dual 20-39 PCI config foot the bill for me then? It would mean one less Item to pile? The amp. How close would this be to the dual cs+?

10. Tom Vodhanel

I wouldn't shift back to the PCi lineup. Its not that they aren't good of course...we have a couple in the hands of professional reviewers now and it will be interesting when everyone can see the hard data on how good they are [​IMG]
    However, the CS+ is a definite step up. More linear driver excursion, more driver motor strength, more driver resistance to thermal compression,70% more port area,another 360w of amp horsepower...
    TV

11. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the last statement that the PCI would be a drop from a CS+. Although maybe(if you have the patience)you could wait for the PC+ which if I remember puts a 525 Bash amp on the CS+ Driver. The 25watts will not make a difference from the CS+ series but should at least double the bass from a PCI(If not more due to the driver). Is this the way to go? Depends on a lot of factors. Are you going to buy just one sub? Do you want the convenience of just plugging it into the wall while not taking more room on your shelves? The price of a PC+ is higher so economically it's still cheaper to go the CS+ route. Personally I think it would be a better idea to get the CS+ with a Sampson amp or take the plunge and buy 2. If you decide on 1 CS+ the option to upgrade to another is more logical then the PCI/PC+ series. My room is 20x30(in reply to an earlier post)so I bought the 2 25-31CS+ w/ Sampson. Why did I choose the 25-31. First, it is the smallest of the lineup which has the highest level of bass. To me this is priceless. Each model is a 3DB loss but gains a lower end. So going from the 16-46 to the 25-31 is a 6DB increase which is doubling the power. I put the port plugs back in today and was pleased with the results but I ended up taking them out again due to it's drop in DB. I am ecstatic with these 2 SVS's and urge you to go this route.

12. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Thank you for the advice. I will give this more thought with the guidance I have received. I really need this to be it for quit some time! " WAF "

13. Dan Steffen

Dan Steffen Stunt Coordinator

14. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Good Dan. No- I think many of us must have this same slight to big problem in regards to HT. Guess it is just as well or we or some of us would go beyond to far.