SVS mixing subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blu, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

As the proud new owner of a SVS 16-46PC I can't help but wonder if there would be any benefit at all to mixing in another smaller PC sub with it? I am enjoying the bass very much I mean VERY much! But I can't help but wonder if I was pinned to my couch by bass if my receiver crossover would send the higher signals to a smaller sub leaving the larger sub free for the lower work. I'm a relative newbie at the home theater stuff in terms of technical aspects. But this same theory is used with the Nvidia graphics cards, they have a processor on the card leaving the PC Processor free for other aspects of the games hence better performance. It seems to me this would be similar but I could very well be wrong as well.

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Blu,
    1)how large is your room.
    2)where is the 16-46 located?(and how far from the key seating?)
    3)how loud do you tend to crank the volume on those action oriented DVDs?(anywhere near reference levels?)
    TV

3. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Size is 20-13ish
    SVS in corner by right front
    18 inches from couch.
    Not really reference levels. But loud enough for a rumble effect [​IMG]
    I watched the plane crash sequence in Fight Club and a few more off your list and really really had the couch rumbling and knew I could crank it up quite a bit more but was comfortable with it as it was.
    The volume is set at 27 on a Sony STR-DE675

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Ok, so about 2000 cu-ft,woof is corner loaded about 1-2meters from the ket seats.In this situation, the single 16-46PC should be able to produce nearly reference levels cleanly with all speakers set to large. If you set the speakers to small...I'd say 6-9dB under reference would be pushing the subwoofer near it's limits on bass heavy material like Fight Club.
    Adding another subwoofer would only make sense if you wanted to push the volume to reference levels with all speakers to small. The 16-46PC is relatively flat past 80hz...so If there's a freq-response issue in the mid/upper bass range...it's room induced. What subwoofer were you using before the 16-46? If it's output was tilted toward the mid/upper bass....having a subwoofer flat down to the 15hz range might take some getting used too... [​IMG]
    TV

5. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I actually didn't have a Subwoofer before I bought this one!
    LOL