SVS making popping noise!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonWaddington, Jan 6, 2003.

1. JasonWaddington

JasonWaddington Stunt Coordinator

I have two 25-31cs powered by the original fidek amp from svs. When I play bass pretty loud one of them makes a pop noise every once and a while. I look at how hard its working and i could possibly understand that maybe it just cant handle that much bass, but the other one never pops, ever. What could the problem be? Keep in mind this popping occurs at fairly high bass levels with pretty low bass. Twice ive noticed it. a few times when playing lord of the rings loudly and a few times when playing missy elliot- work it which has bass so low i cant even hear it. The sub looks like its moving pretty hard, perhaps its just the characteristics of the material and not the sub, dunno.

- Jason

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Sounds to me as if you are bottoming the sub.

3. John Spicer

John Spicer Agent

Im with Bryan, sounds like the driver is reaching its limits of throw. Keep it up and youll be replacing it.

-- John

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Jason,

There will always be subtle differences between even well matched woofers, and amp channels too. Probably one is just slightly harder run up than the other.

It sounds like you might want to consider upgrading your woofers to the newest "Improved Standard Driver" (ISD) which have been well received in terms of much higher output with much greater resistance to bottoming. It's just an assumption but I'll bet a Dollar that your subs serial number on the bottom of the base plate shows they were made before Dec 01??

Three other things. If you don't have the subs running side by side, I strongly advise you try that. You might be losing significant levels to cancellation in your room with them separated.

Calibration is key too. It sounds as though you set your subs up by ear. As long as you avoid bottoming, this can be fine. My guess is you are set much higher than the subs were designed for. Again, no big deal, unless one or both are bottoming (and probably, if one is, the other is very close to it). Get a Radio Shack SPL meter and a test disk like Avia or Video Essentials and you'll marvel at the improvement your entire system shows with proper balance restored (apologies ahead of time if you DID use a meter??).

Finally, while those original woofers were very good, you can get much more useable SPLs and help prevent bottoming by using a subsonic filter. A decent equalizer (we sell the entry level ART 351) will allow for filtering out bass that's hitting the sub significantly below its "tuning point" (where the sub is designed to be most comfortable if you will). An even simpler solution is the SVS-01 "Black Box" that filters various points with the twist of a knob. The SVS-01 also offers something the ART 351 does not have, and that's adjustable phase controls. If you have the subs in different locations due to space or ecstatics reasons, you can get them working nearly as well as having them right next to each other with a bit of phase tweaking (whereby the subs will tend to act as one instead of fighting against one another through canceling bass waves at various frequencies and locations in your room).

Hope this helps some. In a perfect world I'd upgrade your woofers AND add a subsonic filter. The transformation of your current setup would probably be very pleasing.

Ron

5. JasonWaddington

JasonWaddington Stunt Coordinator

well now theres a new problem. the cardboard tube inside has fallen off the plastic end tube, where it funnels down. should i just super glue this on? this is pretty annoying that this thing is falling apart so easily.

Also, i cant find a date anywhere. where do i look?>