What's new

SVS Lovers (1 Viewer)

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
Please list what sub you had prior to buying your SVS and what SVS you ended up buying and why. I'm debating whether or not to go from my Velodyne CT-120 to an SVS PC+ 20-39.

Thanks,
Bill

Wallis

Agent
No sub before. I got the PB2+ because (1) I have a fairly large room (6000 cubic feet, not including leakage), (2) I wanted low, low bass, (3) the extra money was not too big of an issue for me, (4) I didn't want to get a smaller SVS and spend the next couple of years wondering what I have left on the table; and (5) my wife didn't want a cylinder.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Bill... I went from Velodyne FSR-18's to SVS 25-31 pc plus... and considered it an upgrade... you will be amazed at what a 20-39 + will do...

Christopher_Ham

Stunt Coordinator
Polk Audio Psw 300, Atlantic Technology t70.1, Def tech 15". I went to a SVS pb2+ to replace the Def tech, man, what an upgrade. The svs is incredible. You won't be dissapointed.

TimRP

Stunt Coordinator
I went from a Atlantic Technology + a MTX to a single SVS PC-ultra. I went with the Ultra for the added headroom over a plus model, and the fact that I think a cylinder sub looks cool.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Rel Storm to SVS 20-39 PC Plus for HT...left the Rel for the music system.

I would think the CHT-15 is in a similar-ish league to the PCi, so would also guess changing from the CT-120 to the Plus would be a huge improvement. And being yours is the previous model of the CHT-12 (good budget sub) it should be well worth it. :emoji_thumbsup:

A few people on avforums have upgraded from a CHT-15 to PC Plus's.

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
I had a Yamaha YST SW-800 for some time, but this unit was never able to deal with my very large room.
The dual PB1+ are much better, even with the coarse setup I have these days.
After proper calibration, I'll pass on more info.

Ax

VinhT

Second Unit
I had a KLH 6.5" ported sub. Measured response was down to 45Hz. I knew I was missing out on a lot.

I made a DIY 10" ported sub. The extension was close to what I was looking for. I then tried a passive radiator design. Pretty good, but my driver and amplifier choice limited overall useable output.

To save time, I then bought a 25-39PC+. The product exudes superiority.

The important thing is that I skipped all of the low-value retail products. :emoji_thumbsup: You'd be surprised how many subs receive rave reviews from layfolk, yet actually perform poorly for their price. The only HT subs that I can recommend in good conscience are Acoustic Visions, Adire, DIY, and SVS (notice the strong HTF influence :D). There may be more, but I cannot recall them at the moment. Of those, the one I trust the most is SVS because there are numerous outstanding measurements to back it all up. I will say however, that if my woodworking skills were up to the task, I would probably ultimately choose to go the DIY route.

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
How will the SVS do with music? That's where the Velodyne left me hanging. The ability to tune the SVS is very intriguing.

Bill

KeithY

Stunt Coordinator
PDR10 to PB2+ to PB2ultra(on order)

This sub is awesome with music, from R&B to hip-hop to metal and classical.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I went from a Def Tech PF15TL+ to no sub to a PB-2+. I thought no sub was much better than the Def Tech. I went with the PB-2+ because I have a large room (6000+ CF) that is open to other large spaces and I wanted loooow bass.

Well I have a B4+ that is on the way as we speak, it will be replacing a Martin Logan Descent. As soon as the sub arrives next week I will give you my thoughts between the two.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Boston 75 w (not sure the model number, but for a small sub, it performed pretty well) to a PC+20-39...

terence

Supporting Actor
I went from dual Acoustic Research S112PS to dual 20-39PC+'s, no contest. The AR's were showing their age and could not keep up with the demanding LFE dvd soundtracks anymore.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I went from dual 15" CHT-Velodynes to a 25-31CS+. Big improvement in the lower hz material. I have since added a couple more 25-31CS+'s to the mix. I went with the CS+ cylinders because I had a QSC amp I bought when I had a AV-15 passive sub built.

Ben Stern

Stunt Coordinator
Currently running a Paradigm PW-2200 and awaiting delivery on an SVS PB2-plus. I chose the SVS based on the numerous reviews and because of the exchange of e-mails with Ron and Tom.

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone use bass traps with thrier SVS? If so, where do you have the trap relative to the sub?

Thanks,
Bill

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
Ever seen the Video on the SVS site? The first sqeaky sub...thats my HTB Philips...6.5" Side Firing optimist 75W...but hey, the HTB was free (TV rebate deal) and my old Pioneers had died (Paper gone..with toddler's help!)and it got me through a year. (and the Progressive Scan DVD is pretty decent)

I decided my next Sub, would be one that I would never feel the need to replace due to it not being able to handle my material. (I used to cringe when even a sub 30Hz track played!! Now I just grin....big grin!) 20-39PCi and it is everything I knew it would be.....Music, Movies, all of it.

Charlie B. Ch.

Stunt Coordinator
First, I had a JBL PB10. Upgraded to a 20-39 PCi to hear what the fuss was all about. Sent it back to SVS to exchange for a 16-46PC+ within 2 weeks. Looking to add another another one once opportunity provides.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks