SVS & Klipsch RP5?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick TX, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

I'm getting my Klipsch RP5's delivered on Friday from One Call, WooHoo! I'm going to be using my Sony DA777ES to drive them, a Klipsch RC3II center, and a pair of B&W LM1's as surrounds. Here's my question, should I add an SVS 2531pci before they go up again? With DUAL powered 12's in these Klipsch's, will I even need a sub? I REALLY am a bass fan BTW. How much DID that 25-31pci sell for before the sale? Also, will it be increasing in the next few days 4 sure? Will the emergence of the Plus be obsoleting the pci? Here are the Klipsch specs. Thanks in advance.
    The Reference Series RP-5 three-way, powered tower delivers the same warm musical intimacy as the RB-5 bookshelf model and the deep, driving energy of a KSW-12 subwoofer all in one incredibly powerful loudspeaker. The RP-5 features a 550-watt digital hybrid amplifier that enables it to efficiently and accurately reproduce even the most demanding bass effects. The combination of jaw-dropping power and crystal-clear detail makes the RP-5 a favorite among people who never learned to compromise.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 25Hz-20kHz±3dB
    SENSITIVITY: 96dB @ 1watt/1meter
    POWER HANDLING: 150 watts maximum continuous (400 watts peak)
    NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms
    ENCLOSURE TYPE: Sealed (HF/MF drivers) / Bass reflex via rear-mounted port (subwoofer)
    TWEETER: K-105-K 1" (2.54cm) Titanium dome compression driver
    HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn
    HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 1950Hz
    MIDRANGE: K-1084-S 8" (20.32cm) Aluminum cone / cast polymer frame
    MID-FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: Fixed at 90Hz
    SUBWOOFER: K-1087-K 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone
    SUBWOOFER AMPLIFIER: Peak output power 550 watts into 4 ohms
    DIMENSIONS: 42.5" (107.9cm) x 9" (22.9cm) x 20.3" (51.6cm)
    WEIGHT: 72 lbs. (32.7kg)
    ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
    FINISHES: Black ash vinyl veneer
    [​IMG]

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Patrick,

We always recommend a separate subwoofer. For a variety of reasons (whatever brand you go for) a subwoofer is going to give you the bass that even large full range speakers just can't. Remember that the frequency response of your mains do not say anything about what SPL (volume) they can maintain at say 25Hz. Of course you decide in the end which is one reason why a generous return policy from a store, or a 45 day trial with us is key. You might find you DON'T need a sub. Given your stated preference I think you will be shocked at what a sub adds to your sound.

The 25-31PCi may go up be we're doing everything we can to hold the line on some sub prices. The simple fact is we haven't finalized pricing. Most subs will go up on 22 SEP, that much is clear. I believe the old 25-31PCi price was $600. It's possible the price will go up some, but not to that level. The PC-Plus is a distinct new model, it will NOT replace the PCi.

No doubt that if you can stretch your budget and want very powerful bass the PC-Plus will be a worthwhile upgrade.

Ron

3. Patrick TX

DANG! You are FAST, as well as informative. That kind of service is exactly the reason I will buy your product! I guess I could not ask the Klipsch's to handle the LOW BASS, & have the SVS handle that. It was hilarious trying to explain how "artistic" it would look in the Den, LOL. My room is 40L X 30W, 15' ceilings & tile floors. FREAKIN NIGHTMARE. It went on the market Friday, media room time!

4. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I have the RP3s, with the 10" sub built into each tower. They actually do pretty well. The crossover for the sub is 90hz, so it does double duty as

5. Patrick TX

Thanks for the input. I have those DVD's as well! I will give them a shot once I set it all up tomorrow. Just picked up Monsters Inc. for the Kiddos as well. I did notice the amp in the RP3 is a 440 watt Mosfet, versus a 550 watt Digital Hybrid BASH amp in the RP5. Also, maybe the 12" will hit a little deeper than the 10"? The proof will be in the pudding! I hope I can make my decision before the SVS sale is over at least!

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

One more thought to the mix--DVDs are starting to be just pumped full of LFE and I would expect it to ratchet up to a even higher degree? It is going to take some decent woofs to handle this. There will NOT be a few reference DVDs in the future. There will be a whole slew of them.

7. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

Patrick,

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I had the RP5s for a while. It was a nightmare trying to get the bass set up in my room. It always seemed that there was a "hole" in the bass. I finally figured out it was because of the 90Hz high pass.

So I returned them and got RB5s and a separate Velodyne SPL 1200 sub. All I can say is it was a lot easier to integrate the two separately.

One thing that sucks about the RP5 is that their is a high pass crossover at 90Hz, and I don't believe it can be bypassed. That means you have to be able to choose that exact frequency in your processor so that you aren't "missing" any frequencies sent to your speakers. The frequencies will still be sent, but they won't match up, and you will have an uneven frequency response.

Just something to keep in mind.

I would recommend getting an SVS, because the subs in the RP5 will not go anywhere near what my Velodyne sub does, and my Velodyne sub will not go near what the SVS sub does.

Remember that the RB5 and RP5 have the exact same horn and mid, but the RP5 has a high-pass crossover at 90Hz that you can not bypass. This can limit your setup options.

Bryan

8. Patrick TX

OK, now I'm getting somewhere. I have a Sony DA777ES that allows me to adjust the frequency on ALL the speakers. So I need to set the fronts to large @90? The Klipsch manual is HORRIFIC, BTW. It doesn't mention a thing about the line level dials on the back. It also mentions nothing about the "Bass Contour" dials either. They DO suggest that I Bi-Wire them. Any thoughts on that? Also, is there a cheaper alternative to friggin Monster Cable? Can I do a DIY "Bi-Wire" from Home Depot or something? Thanks for the response!

9. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

The SVS will definately out do the subs in the Klipsch if they are similar to the KSW-12, there's just no competition. I previously owned the KSW-12 then I went through a few other subs before I found SVS. I've owned the 20-39CS Plus and now I have the Ultra. I'm also familiar w/the 1st generation SVS since my brother and I built an 16-46CS clone. I would much rather have any of the SVS' I've heard than multiple KSW-12's. If you visit the forum at http://www.klipsch.com you'll find that more people have SVS subs than Klipsch also.