SVS? It's the biggest let down ever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TravisMc, Jan 16, 2003.

1. TravisMc

TravisMc Stunt Coordinator

Well, I just got an SVS Ultra with the samson 1000 watt amp
    It is pathetic
    My KSW-15 with a 800 Watt amp, which runs about $450 sounds just as good, if not better
    for all of you who own SVS subs, I feel sorry for you
    this, is the most overpriced, over marketed, over bragged about subwoofer that I have EVER Heard
    I've run it bridged, parrallel, and stereo
    Its just not impressive for the money, I have been playing with room placement as well, it sucks, the SPL is impressive, but the sound is not, Its just not all that "bang"
    I can't stress to those of you in the woofer market enough, listen before you buy
    So, I have about $1500 to buy a subwoofer with, instead of this
    Any opinons?
    Im thinking of the Klipsch RSW-15 with the 2400 Watt amp, whatyathink? Im looking for maximum bang for the buck
    I thought SVS was the ticket, but it was nothing but a letdown
    I don't mean to insult anyone at SVS, It looks to be a quality built subwoofer, but its just not up to par
    It REALLY sucks...
    PLEASE READ MY POST NEAR THE BOTTEM REFERRING TO MY BLOWN AMP

2. TrevorST

TrevorST Stunt Coordinator

It seems you like the boom sound..... That's OK each to our own and I'm sorry you feel like you wasted your money, good job SVS will refund you with their great customer service.

I love my SVS and don't miss that boom one little bit. When it needs to it shakes the house, when it does not I don't hear it. Just the way I like it. But like I said it is all a matter of taste and I respect your view point.

3. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Travis,

The last time I heard the Klipsch KSW subs they roared. But I did think they lacked some finesse. So the question is, what kind of bass do you want? Clean and tuneful, or big ba-da-boom.

I was going to recommend try Hsu but I'm thinking your gonna think it s*cks the big one too. It's also quite possible the driver was not broken in yet. This may take awhile if it's a very stiff surround.

Sound is in the ears and mind of the bolder.

4. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Something must be wrong..I use the 2039pci for my room, and it absolutely rocks the hell outta it...I mean pictures off the wall rocks...I have seen everything from my dvd player screws loosed, to stuff rattling off the shelf....I dunno what is wrong with yours, but this is the best sub I've seen, and I've heard quite a few...I would email Ron/Tom and see what they say...I actually had the downstairs pictures clanging...and this was just below reference[​IMG] Maybe you like to hear that Boomy sound...Boomy and bass are 2 different things...clean tight gut feeling bass is what I want..not some Boom/Boom distortion in someones car[​IMG]

5. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Must be a honda owner with that cool exhaust[​IMG]

6. Murali Kalapala

The 800 and 2400 watts mentioned are "Peak" power that does'nt mean jack!! Klipsch tries to sell subwoofers by posting peak numbers and further more by actually saying that that's what matters. Deplorable!!

aaron, definately seeing some honda boy traits here!!

7. Miguel Stanic

Miguel Stanic Stunt Coordinator

Paradigm Servo-15.......it rocks!!!

8. TrevorST

TrevorST Stunt Coordinator

Hey Guy's back of the Honda thing.... We don't all like the same thing and even though I agree that the boom sound is for the birds, we have to respect his thoughts. Travis give it a shot and listen to the SVS for a while, I think you will come to appreciate the clean deep sound it produces.

9. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I have stated before that I had to learn how to listen to good bass all over again, so true. I have owned Klipsch including the one you have and they are load and boomey and thats about it.
    Just finished "Brotherhood of the wolf" again for the 6th or 7th time, when the beast jumps into the house. . . well if that dont do it for you then there is something wrong. I just have the 2039 with my own amp. I used to like that bass heavy mud when I first started buying subwoofers but after awhile nobody wanted to listen to my stuff, they wouldnt tell me why but after many hours of listening to their systems I started hearing things I did not know were there. I started listening to what was comming out of my sub for details and not just noise, didnt take long to wakeup and realise that I had it all wrong, I was mistaking noise and energy for bass, listen to a good explosion and hear the glass breaking or the shell cases hitting the floor when someone is shooting, just that alone will start you looking for what you have been missing.
    I read the posts that people write before getting their SVS and sometimes I am concerned that some people are going to be dissapointed because I think some want pure energy at the expense of detail and good bass.
    My advice is not to spend more but to spend less, buy the biggest cheapest Pro-Box you can find. A big sound reinforcement sub with a sensitivity rating over 100db will do fine, if all you want to do is make your ears bleed and break all the windows in the house thats what it will take.
    I am not critizing what your tastes are, just a fact, if thats what you want then thats what you have to do. Of course there may be some dynamics going on that I am unaware of, in that case then disreguard what I wrote.

10. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

The BEST sub, is not the best sub for everyone.

11. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Guy,

Great reply, I agree. After I got my SVS's it took awhile to learn what clean deep bass sounds like.

Blew my KSW-15 out of the water.

12. Eric C D

Eric C D Second Unit

Interesting...

What migh be informative to you is to run a frequency sweep with AVIA or similar disk and an SPL meter. Learn what it is that you like and don't like quantitatively.

I think you'll find the RSW has more in common with the SVS than it does the KSW. What most of this group want to spend more for IS the lack of boom-boom. I agree with Guy - if you want more sound like your KSW, consider a big pro-sub. My other thought was that 3 more KSWs should fit in your budget, that would increase your SPL. (meant seriously, not as a dig).

In any case, the good news in the thread for the rest you is that a B-stock Ultra will probably be available soon - WOO HOO!

enjoy,

Eric

13. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

TravisMc,
    Hehe, I read through some of your earlier post. Sounds like you have been having nothing but problems with your HT. Which sucks for you.
    You may want to make sure everything else is up to par with your other stuff. Double check everything, Make sure you are listening to DD or DTS. Calibrate your sub about 5 dB hot (that is what I like) and Pop in Episode two and listen to chapter 3 about 7-10 dB below ref and if your walls do not start to vibrate and anything hanging them don't start to vibrate. Something is definitely wrong.
    Call SVS and see if they can walk you through everything.
    What type of source material are you using music or movies?

You may not like clean bass. Just the boom according to this post:
    TravisMC wrote:

Anyway I hope you get it fixed and good luck!

14. Try an M&K MX-350 fastest, smoothest sub I have heard, although if you don't like SVS you probably won't like it either. If I had the money I would of gotten this instead of the 16-46 pci.

15. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

Just goes to show you that it is indeeed a MUST that you listen to a speaker before you buy it, I can understand this persons dissapointment with his sub. He was looking for 'HIS" perception of bass nirvana and did not get it,,,and he is angry...i have been where he is and it does SUCK. Hopefully he will reolve this by working with SVS and letting them help him tune is system because it is obvious that this is a very popular procuct amongst the faithful. And it was pointed out that a subwoofer shold bot be noticable at all times...although it should add a warmth and depth to the audio that is only noticable when it is tuned off and then the audio sounds thin and wimpy. But when called upong to rock the house it should do so and then dissapear again. Its a very think line between too much and not enough.....which brings me to the question i have for Travis...I hope before you came in here and trashed the sub and of course the company that builds it, that you talked with them first and have exausted all set-up possibilities? There is more to sub set-up than changing position and wiring. What is it about the sub you hate?

16. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Seriously, Travis, that combo should kick serious butt. If it's not then there might be a loose connection, bad adapter, etc.

Do you have a sound meter that could be used to post some readings?

And just out of curiousity, what size room is the room?

Look forward to hearing of a successful outcome (whether it suddenly starts rockin, or whether you choose to return it).

Regards,

Mike

[edit -- Sorry Travis! Missed the "the SPL is impressive, but the sound is not" bit. Guess it's not a loose connection, etc. Anyway, good luck still.]

17. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...02-part-2.html
    "If you are in the market for getting a subwoofer that represents one of the all-time great bangs for the buck, with astonishing performance, give the guys at SVS a ring."
    A select quote from the above hot-linked John E. Johnson, Jr. subwoofer review. I don't know of anyone besides Tom Nousaine who puts subs through more rigorous instrumented testing, and JEJ also has an ear for music seeing as jazz drums are another hobby of his.
    Thousands of satisfied customers and consistently impressed independent reviewers are not wrong.

18. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like he's got room cancellation issues that's leaving a hole in the bass. This is the only reason I can see why you would be running the Samson in bridged and parallel instead of stereo.

I have an Ultra and I had to reverse the polarity to relieve a bass hole from 63-100hz. The hole in bass will give the impression that the sub is weak for music but strong in HT. Reversing the polarity may help you out.

19. TravisMc

TravisMc Stunt Coordinator

Guys, thanks for the input

I didn't mean to sound too negative, Its not that the SVS sounds bad, its just

What, is it going to take, to make my home theatre LOUD

I would like some accuracy, but guys, Im 19 years old

I listen to car audio all day long that blows my mind

I want a LOUD, and I mean, LOUD sub

Will a Velodyne Servo-18 do it? What is it going to take?

The SVS sounds good, and has AMAZING ability to push low freq's, but damnit, I want to scare people, and the SVS just hasen't got the oompfh to do that

Im thinking about buying a 1500-2000 Watt Amp, and applying that power to 2 12" Rockford fosgate Power HX2 12's, thats the sound I want, the ability to absolutly be insainly loud, and for it to not distort, that is by far the most important thing

SVS is a good sub, its loud, hits clear, and it hits LOW

But, its not anywhere near as loud as I expected, if the peak sound of the ultra is 130DB's or so, I need to be able to hit at least 150, if not 160, and as I approach 200 the more the merrier

I know this sounds dumb guys, but thats what I want, utterly scary power, period.

(as a note, if anyone on the board wants that as well, the svs simply ain't got it...)

20. FredH

FredH Auditioning

200db????? Your eardrums will bleed!!

Ah, to be 19 again!