What's new

SVS is the PLUS worth an extra $200 (1 Viewer)

KirkA

Agent
I know that this is a dumb question since nobody has their PC+s yet. I've pretty much decided on a 22-31 and I want to order it next week before the prices go up (just in case they really do).

Anyway I just got to thinking maybe I should spend the extra $200 and get the PC+. I rarely get to crank up volume so I'm wondering if I'll notice a difference between the PCi and PC+ at lower volume.

The other consideration is that if I did decide on the PC+ I wouldn't have to order it right away since it's not on sale.

Any thoughts?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The PC+ vs the PCi.

PC+ has a 525W BASH amp PCi has a 320W BASH amp.

PC+ has a continously variable phase control, PCi has a 0/180 switch

PC+ has a 4 different rumble filters you can select from, PCi has one

PC+ uses three 3" flared ports, PCi uses a single 4" flared port (gives PC+ 70% more port cross sectional area and is the same port configuration used in the Ultra and SS).

PC+ uses the DB12 driver while the PCi uses the ISD driver. SVS says the DB12 and extra power will take the PC+ ~80% of the way to the performance of a Ultra

Tom and Ron have said that the PC+ will set a new price performance standard (raising the bar even higher than the PCi did) and given what you are getting with what you are paying I believe them. Still won't match the DIY ratio, but not everybody can DIY. I would say it's the step from the + series to the Ultra where you would start to notice a point of diminishing returns. A step from the PCi to PC+ you wouldn't.

Do you have an SPL meter and calibration disc? What levels do you normally listen at, and what is the level on those occations you get to crank it? If used, the PC+ to me is easily worth the extra $200, but the answers to the above question will help in determining if it will be worth it to you.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Holy cow, Dustin is one knowlegeable dude. I see him posting everywhere and seems to know everything :D

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
To bad I don't know how to find a job :p)
And um, thanks :b
I really don't know half as much as I think I do though ;)

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
Well... one always wants it right away. :)

I went thru the same decision process a couple of months back. Send SVS your room dimensions and your "peak" listening levels (TPM at ? dBs, LOTR at ? dBs, etc. on a calibrated receiver; can you corner load the sub?), and they'll give you a good idea if you'll be straining the PCi or not.

In my case, the 16-46 PCi is more than enough. I haven't bottomed the thing yet.

jdg

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well if we are gonna go that attitude ;)
Just build a pair of these and set them up so one of the room walls expands the mouth of the horn.

Two of the Tom Danley designed Lab12 Basshorns in a moderately sized room with the horn's mouth expanded to allow decent 20hz output would be scarry.

KirkA

Agent
Hey better yet, why not just get the SS system. Then I could have wood water heaters in my living room. Seriously though, I have no idea what you're talking about with rumble filters, adjustable phase, etc. I would like a sub that I won't be wanting to upgrade in a year or two.

I have an SPL meter and have done a rough calibration with the test tones, no Avia yet. I usually listen at around -40 to -30 but that's not calibrated to actual dbs. The sub will sit in a corner my room is around 12x18.

I'm not a big home theater nut or anything. I finally bought a DVD player around a month ago and that kind of did a landslide into the whole home theater thing. I would like a system that sounds good and will shake the house when necessary. I don't want to get a PCi and be saying, "gee I wish I had a variable phase control" in a month or two.

I started out with wanting to know if at normal/low-medium levels the PC+ will perform better. Will the different driver and bigger amp have any better sound?

By the way, my current sub is a Cerwin Vega that I built a box for in high-school (around 15 years ago). It sounds terrible, all kinds of rattles, port noise, etc. I'm really looking forward to having a decent sub that puts out nice clean bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks