What's new

SVS is calling to me.... (1 Viewer)

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Hey Tom,
Sounds great (now ship that puppy out before my wife changes her mind... :) ). Just kidding... can't wait to get the new sub.
------------------
- Aaron
"Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps"
-Emo Phillips

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Quote:
---------------------------------
Aaron,
Another option depending on your DIY skills is a kit from Marchand(sp?). Someone mentioned them to me and they do sell pre-made XO's that look pretty good. The price was out of my range but it's pretty reasonable for the kit if you are up for the soldering.
I'll edit this with the web-site when I can find it.
On a different topic do you know the name of the other "high" end dealer in Champaign? Not Good Vibes, Glen Poor's or Chanmpaign Audio but the "newer" one. I think the employee's are ex good vibes. I've been there once and can't remember the bloody name. :
---------------------------------
Hey Andrew,
I might be interested in going that route. I do some occasional soldering and whatnot, so it sounds like the project is within my 'skill level.' Yes, let me know the link when you find it and thanks.
About the other Champaign dealer, that would be Premier Sound on the corner of Duncan and Kirby. And yes, they are ex-Good Vibes people. In my experience, they are very nice and very knowledgeable, but I felt that their equipment selection was still a little lacking last time I was there. However, they are a relatively new business and still building, so I think they'll mature into a nice A/V store in due time.
------------------
- Aaron
-Emo Phillips

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Hi Tom,
Got my new SVS sub today and I'm in the middle of setting it up, but I have one quick question. I can't find the spikes in the box and the base doesn't seem to have a place to put the spikes, yet the leaflet for quick setup mentions the spikes, so I'm confused? I have padded carpeting, so I would strongly prefer to have something to more firmly anchor the sub than the rubber feet.
Thanks once again for your help!
------------------
- Aaron
-Emo Phillips

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Hi Tom,
Got my new SVS sub today and I'm in the middle of setting it up, but I have one quick question. I can't find the spikes in the box and the base doesn't seem to have a place to put the spikes, yet the leaflet for quick setup mentions the spikes, so I'm confused? I have padded carpeting, so I would strongly prefer to have something to more firmly anchor the sub than the rubber feet.
Thanks once again for your help!

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Andrew, thanks for the link; I'll look into it!
Tom, I'm actually quite a bit surprised that it wouldn't make a performance difference. To be honest, I'm quite partial to spikes to isolate and anchor the speakers (the issue of tipping over isn't really a concern for me). I won't really have a chance to calibrate and test things in my HT since I'm having some repairs done by Vandersteen, but I'll give it a go once my speakers are returned.
In the meantime, should I get a hankering for spikes, is there a feasible way to add them?
(btw, the only mention of spikes was in the literature included with the sub and under your spare parts section on the website; so yes, you've basically removed all mention of using the spikes)
Thanks again!
------------------
- Aaron
-Emo Phillips

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Aaron,
If you are THAT hot to put on the spikes we onced spec'd go ahead and order some off our parts page and you are welcome install them.
It does require drilling a rather precise hole, at a limited depth, and careful mounting of the steel threaded inserts however. If you have a drill press it'd be pretty easy. I wouldn't recommend a hand drill.
I'm sure there are other sorts of spikes out there but I wouldn't consider anything that didn't screw into a metal receiver.
Let us know.
As Tom said. Few folks really benefited from the spikes, and 9 of 10 that did use them shouldn't have. Contrary to all the sexy pics in A/V mags, spikes and subs and hard floors just do not mix (I mean REAL spikes, not pointy cone shaped feet that are sometimes used to keep a driver off the ground).
Ron

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Hi Ron, thanks for the reply!
No, I don't have a drill press, just a hand drill; so I think that option is probably out.
Also, I don't doubt that folks using spikes on a hard floor weren't getting any benefit (and quite possibly scratching their floors really badly). I've just never heard anyone claim that pads were equal to spikes for carpeted flooring. However, since my HT is temporarily down, I won't really get a chance to do all of my calibration and testing for at least ten days. I'll give it a shot just as it was sent to me; hopefully everything will be okeedokee.
I'll keep you guys up to date. Thanks again!
------------------
- Aaron
-Emo Phillips

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Yup,
Bridge that Adcom if you'ld like but even one channel, calibrated a tad hot (watch bottoming) and I think the last thought in your mind will be what's on the bottom of that 1" MDF baseplate.
It'll blow you away with the cleanest deepest bass you've heard, or else.
Ron
[Edited last by Ron Stimpson on July 25, 2001 at 12:26 AM]

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Well, I've finally had a chance to use my SVS 16-46CS in my HT for a while now. This is a stellar performer! I'll go into more detail in another thread that I will be replying to in the next day or so: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/041795.html
Bravo SVS, you make a fine subwoofer!
(one sidenote: while I am sure that the spikes truly do not make a performance difference, I can imagine this baby moving around as it pumps out bass. IMHO, I'd like to see the spikes option put back into your sub designs. Still, bravo SVS!)
----------
Also, thanks again Andrew!
------------------
- Aaron
-Emo Phillips

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks