SVS in an Apartment?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidLK, Feb 6, 2002.

1. DavidLK

DavidLK Auditioning

I live in manahttan in an apartment (average 1 bedroom). I currently have a cheap Mission powered Sub, and was thinking about upgrading to a SVS. I have to keep the Mission pretty low (volume) to keep from getting neighbor complaints. I was wondering if an SVS, since it supposed to create bass much more clearly and without the boominess, would actually be more neighbor friendly. Please let me have any thoughts you may have on this, and which SVS you would recommend. Or if any apartment dwellers have any tips on keeping the bass in your own space, those would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

2. Mark_TX

Mark_TX Auditioning

I live in a 2300 Sq. Ft. house on a 120' X 90' lot, and I can hear my SVS at the neighbor's house!

3. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

I think that’s the first time I saw “SVS” and “neighbor friendly” used in the same sentence. [​IMG]
    I think if you behave with the volume control you would be OK, but ask yourself.........
    What are the chances of that happening ???
    When you hear that clean powerful BASS, you just have to crank-it-up.
    Shawn S

4. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

I currently reside in an apartment and have an SVS 20-39PC. I have never had a complaint from my neighbors but I'm sure they can hear it and feel it at times.

I think that it's true that the more natural sound of the SVS is less disturbing than the boominess of other subs. Just make sure you stay conservative with the volume, especially after 10pm.

5. JamesMart

JamesMart Agent

I will let you know how it goes in my apt. when mine gets here Friday. I can't wait!!!

...Jim

6. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I have the "old" 25-31cs driven by an old yamaha 70wpc dpl reciever in my 2 bedroom apartment.I have all channels set to 80db and I play it just like that..of course my dial is usually atleast -20(depending on the source of course) and I have never had one complaint...nobody stomps on the celing or bangs on the walls...of course I try to respect my neighbors and play during the day and up until 9 or so on the weekends....strict fines here for any disturbances...heck,if our rent is a day late its a $75 late fee.

7. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I've got the PC20-39 and I live in a townhouse. I've never once had a complaint and at times I'll blast things really loud (I've scared the crap out of pply by playing the end of Fight Club [​IMG])
    I've learned if you talk to your neighbors and treat each other with respect you won't have to worry about it too much so long as you use common sense (I don't rock the house at 1am)
    my 2 cents,
    Brian

8. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Stunt Coordinator

The reality is if the SVS goes lower in frequency than your current sub, the neighbors are probably more likely to hear it, as low frequencies seem to skip through walls with ease. Your only solution is to keep the volume down, IMO.

9. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

Put it on a slab of concrete. You can get a 16"x16"x2" for 2$ at Home Depot. It helps out alot. Fill your room with as much stuff as possible to absorb the sound. Also invite the neihbors over to watch movies. [​IMG]

10. JonnyB

JonnyB Extra

David,

I too live in NYC 1BR (Upper ES Coop) and am trying to decide on a sub for the system I am planning. Although my neighbors have proved to be very cool when it comes to music, movie noise, etc., I think I've ruled out the SVS for the reasons that Shawn mentioned - what is the chance I can keep things tame when I'm watching Gladiator or The Matrix? My coop can actually fine me for making too much noise!

I'm thinking of going with and HSU VTF-2, and I'm hoping that will be enough of a compromise. Plus it will be easier to place in a restricted-space environment (making it more fiancee-friendly!)

Interested to here what you choose...

JonnyB

11. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Well, you will definitely have to keep it down unless you want fines up the yin-yang. One of our locals here in Newport Beach, Dennis Rodman, has racked up something like 70 citations (boy, imagine the fines) from the city. This coming from a community known for its parties!!!!! Here's one guy who definitely knows SVS!

Reg

12. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

David,
    Actually, I'm rather surprised that nobody has mentioned the possible solution of using a tactile transducer to supplement the woofer. It gives you more tactile feeling while allowing you to turn down the volume of the sub at the same time. You might want to check out:
    1) Aura BassShakers
    2) Clark Synthesis
    3) The Buttkicker
    4) RBH Sound