SVS in 1st floor apartment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RussellC, Apr 26, 2002.

1. RussellC

RussellC Stunt Coordinator

OK, I'm excited. I am moving into a new apartment in a about 3 weeks on the first floor. There will be no one on the sides of me because it has fire hallways all around each side. Also has 2.5 ft of concrete between floors. How bad will an SVS 25-31PCi radiate through the ceiling? I don't want to piss off neighbors like I do here. Any comments?

-Russell

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

2.5 feet??

I'll bet if you try, you could still piss off SOME folks...

3. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Russell the ceilings can't be 2.5' of concrete. If they are really that thick then most of the area is probably hollow. Most concrete floors are at maximum of 8" thick and usually more like 4". This is completely unrelated to the accoustics of the place, its just my "civil engineer" side begging to speak [​IMG]

4. RussellC

RussellC Stunt Coordinator

Hrmm...well regardless of cieling thickness (which they claim there is 2.5' of concrete between floors.) how bad do SVS's radiate through the ceiling.

5. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

I live in a similar apartment. No one on the same level or below, just one apartment above. Fortunately I met my neighbor early on and explained to her my need for volume. She told me that usually it's not that bad, but every once in awhile I get the pounding from above which lets me know to turn it down. I have found that she can tolerate around 85 db, not much more. I guess my sub (a cerwin lw 15) rattles everything in her apartment if it gets any louder. Not to bum you out, but you will not be able to even come close to reaching the svs's potential in an apartment and you will always feel that twinge of guilt every time it hits hard.
    Sorry man, I feel your pain.[​IMG]

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Union Cement Finisher here.... 2.5' thick ? I doubt it... If their prefab slabs there either 4 or 8". Like said earlier, if it is that thick, theirs air space there as well.. Have fun with the new SV sub! [​IMG]