What's new

SVS, Hsu, or Adire? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy B.

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I have gotten my speaker selection figured out, thanks to a lot of your inputs on here! Now I need a sub for my setup. This is going into a 15' x 18' room, that has a 12' opening on the back wall and the side wall, so it is very open. Which one of the following is going to give me the most accurate, deep, and loud bass:

SVS 25-31 PCi $549

Hsu STF-2 $399

Adire Rava $399

Keep in mind I have completely blown my budget on the speakers, so I of course one of the $399 subs look better on paper, and feel better in the wallet! Is it worth the extra $150 for the svs sub? Thanks for the opinions guys, it is greatly appreciated!!!

TosH

Agent
FYI, if budget is a big concern you can pick up the Hsu STF-2 at your local CompUSA for $350+tax.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I assume your not thinking of doing a direct comparison so I'll vote say the PCi can do all three if you have the space for it. The easiest would be to go to CompUSA and get the Hsu to see if it fits your needs, I'd do that first. It'll be easy to return and then you could try the SVS if it doesn't work out, cause I don't believe the Rava will do much better than the Hsu, though great respectively.

Sean_Oz

Grip
I agree completely with WayneO, try out the HSU from CompUSA. If it isn't enough for you, take it back and get the SVS. My father has the STF-2 and honestly, for $400, it is a really good sub. If it's in the right corner, it can really shake the walls! Pretty impressive. Try out the HSU though, it will be easier to return if you aren't happy, not that you would return the SVS after hearing it!

Another thing to consider is aesthetics. The SVS is tall and round, as apposed to a decent sized box. Personally, I liked the cylinder, it is just different. Bottom line is that they are both great companies that make great products, you really can’t go wrong!

And this coming from an extremely happy SVS customer!

On a side note, email the guys from SVS. Let them know your room size and what subs you are contemplating along with your budget. They give great unbiased advice. They will set you straight!

Sean

Jeremy B.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot guys! I think I will swing by CompUSA tonight and check out the HSU. That will be a nice comparison since I have already heard the Paradigm, Klipsch, and JBL subs anyways. I hate all these damn decisions, I always feel like I am going to get crap! lol

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
If you go with either HSU or SVS you won't get crap (not saying you'd get crap with Adire either).

I agree with what they are saying check out the HSU if you want, but if you know you want the best bang for the buck, then go for the SVS. You won't be disappointed...and honestly besides having to ship it back to them, you are guaranteed a 45 day trail of it...

To me it is worth the extra money for the SVS, you will know where it went and be happy it went there...though you might be craving for more down the road. :D

If money is not a problem, I'd choose them as SVS, HSU, Adire.
If money is the problem, then HSU, Adire, SVS...

But first and foremost, ask yourself how much you want to spend and how much you are willing to go over that for piece of mind that you won't want to upgrade for a long time.

Another thing to throw in too, is that the resale of the SVS is very good, you can get almost exactly the same you got it for. HSU is pretty close, but I don't see as many people asking about them as SVS. Don't know about the resale for Adire.

Alex Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Dan hit it right on the head. I have owned both. SVS and HSU. Currently I have the HSU because i got it real cheap. Had to sell the SVS because I am in a small apartment. :frowning:

One thing I do notice is that SVS bends over backwards with flips to make the customer happy. Hsu's customer service is not as great with handling my case.

Go with the SVS just for the customer service. It's more $$$ but you get peace of mind and great resale.

Chip E

Screenwriter
I've never read anything good about HSU customer service/support. SVS on the other hand, well i'm on my second sub with them. Customer support is their middle name. their great. I'm sure the HSU sub would perform well, however.

Steve Griswold

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in a similar pickle, except with:

Hsu STF-3
SVS 20-39 PCi
Adire Dharman

All three have tons of fans.
All three companies are headed by honest, dedicated individuals with a passion for great audio and customer service.
All three are $599, have a 12" woofer, push about-equal SPLs, and have similar bass extension with the Dharman edging out the SVS ever so slightly which edges out the Hsu (from what I've seen on paper).

I might try Hsu just because the factory is down the freeway a bit and I can save on shipping.

Or maybe I'll abuse my credit card, get all three, and do a write up...lol

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
All three have their fans, I would guess that any of them would work out rather well. Optimally you would audition each of them in your own home. I would say that if you are on a very tight budget get what you can afford. :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jeremy:

All three are fine subs. One thing to consider too is that the SV subwoofer comes with a large amp in it and with bass you can use all the power you can get to it.

Give the guys at SV a call, tell them what you are wanting to do and have them ship you one out. You can alway return it if you aren't happy for a full refund. I doubt very seriously that you would return it though.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks